Scholarships at GULC?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
pineapples

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby pineapples » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Does anyone know if GULC merit scholarships are contingent upon maintaining a certain GPA?

pirouette

Postby pirouette » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:11 pm

summertimechi wrote:Did anyone else just get the GULC scholarship email explaining how the process will work? I didn't realize we'd have to accept so soon...I was hoping to at least be able to see if I could get off the Hold list at some schools. Sigh. Oh well, no biggie, I probably won't get one anyways.

Yes, I just received the email. I'm also surprised at the acceptance date...although if I got one, I'd take it in a heartbeat. But I doubt that - I'll be lucky to be an alternate.

Good Luck!

RussianGirl

Postby RussianGirl » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:14 pm

when did you guys receive your decisions?

summertimechi

Postby summertimechi » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:32 pm

pirouette wrote:
summertimechi wrote:Did anyone else just get the GULC scholarship email explaining how the process will work? I didn't realize we'd have to accept so soon...I was hoping to at least be able to see if I could get off the Hold list at some schools. Sigh. Oh well, no biggie, I probably won't get one anyways.

Yes, I just received the email. I'm also surprised at the acceptance date...although if I got one, I'd take it in a heartbeat. But I doubt that - I'll be lucky to be an alternate.

Good Luck!

Yea, I would've taken it in a heartbeat had I not just been Held at Columbia... and they won't let me know a decision for sure until April. *sigh* I guess I'll see what happens on Monday....

maddy

Postby maddy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:37 pm

So we really hear on Monday? That seems like such a short turn around!

summertimechi

Postby summertimechi » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:01 pm

maddy wrote:So we really hear on Monday? That seems like such a short turn around!

i don't think everyone will hear on Monday. Just those who were in the first couple of rounds. I'd venture to say that if you didn't get that e-mail, it's likely that you won't hear til a little later, but that's just an infromed guess.

gahhhhhhhhhh

Postby gahhhhhhhhhh » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:05 pm

I'm annoyed that they want a firm decision by April 1. Although I guess if I do receive something it will possibly be a way to get other schools to give me a decision on scholarships (or lack thereof) a lot sooner.

maddy

Postby maddy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:10 pm

summertimechi wrote:
maddy wrote:So we really hear on Monday? That seems like such a short turn around!

i don't think everyone will hear on Monday. Just those who were in the first couple of rounds. I'd venture to say that if you didn't get that e-mail, it's likely that you won't hear til a little later, but that's just an infromed guess.

Yeah, I got the email and submitted my scholarship app yesterday, but it just seems crazy that they can decide so quickly, especially over a weekend.

summertimechi

Postby summertimechi » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:12 pm

maddy wrote:
summertimechi wrote:

Yeah, I got the email and submitted my scholarship app yesterday, but it just seems crazy that they can decide so quickly, especially over a weekend.

hmmm...that's really interesting! i didn't realize they'd sent those to ppl with the later deadlines, too. well, i guess all we can do is wait til Monday and see what happens! Good luck!

TrojanBadger

Postby TrojanBadger » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:32 pm

So it's safe to say that if I got in Dec 10, and didn't get the email, I'm not in the running for the big schollys?

maddy

Postby maddy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:36 pm

summertimechi wrote:
maddy wrote:
summertimechi wrote:

hmmm...that's really interesting! i didn't realize they'd sent those to ppl with the later deadlines, too. well, i guess all we can do is wait til Monday and see what happens! Good luck!

yeah, good luck to you too!!

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:51 pm

I'm really anxious to hear tomorrow. I hope its early in the day. I don't want to sit around staring at my email constantly.

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:01 am

caoyun wrote:I'm really anxious to hear tomorrow. I hope its early in the day. I don't want to sit around staring at my email constantly.

Same here, especially since I'll be at work most all tomorrow with nothing to do but refresh my email every two seconds.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:06 am

will they really list the amount in the email?

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:09 am

legends159 wrote:will they really list the amount in the email?

In my mind it would be something like this....

Dear Iceberger,

A check for $400,000 is on private helicopter to your home as you read this, congratulations.

GTown

In reality, not getting my hopes up.

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:31 am

legends159 wrote:will they really list the amount in the email?

I certainly hope so, but I doubt. They could possibly do something like "you've been awarded a scholarship between x% and y% of tuition" or something like that. The impression I got was that they might not give you the details in the email. A message Dean Cornblatt sent out this past week said "For those of you who receive an offer at this time, we will be notifying you via email and a follow-up letter in the mail which will explain the details of the scholarship award and acceptance process."

So it sounds like we're going to have to wait for it to come via snail mail. Which will drive me even more nuts, since my mail goes to my permanent address which is pretty much inaccessible to me, so I have to wait for my mom to come home around 8 pm to find out. Meh. Thats why I hope they do it early. That way, if they give a number, I know, and if they don't, at least I know not to stress out about it, because it'll come in the mail sooner or later, if I get one.

Oh, and iceberger, mine reads something like:

Dear CaoYun,

Congratulations on your acceptance! We are pleased to award you with a full tuition remission and a stipend of no less than three times tuition per year. The official award notice is currently enroute to your location and will be presented by John G. Roberts.

Thank you for considering us.

Love,
Georgetown

But really, Georgetown. I'd take you on a full ride over almost any other school. So lets make it happen!
Last edited by caoyun on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

summertimechi

Postby summertimechi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:33 am

per last year's thread, the amounts are included in the e-mail

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:34 am

summertimechi wrote:per last year's thread, the amounts are included in the e-mail

I love you. And I mean that in a completely non-creepy way.

summertimechi

Postby summertimechi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:38 am

caoyun wrote:
summertimechi wrote:per last year's thread, the amounts are included in the e-mail

I love you. And I mean that in a completely non-creepy way.

lol, right back at ya. we're all in this together!!!! (corniness ftw :wink: )

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:50 am

anyone get an email yet?

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:00 am

iceberger wrote:anyone get an email yet?

Nope. But I'm in class on my computer from 10 am to 4 pm.... so it'll be fun.

Sebastian11

Postby Sebastian11 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:17 pm

hm, haven't gotten anything yet either. I'm wondering, the email message a few days ago was pretty fuzzy - do you think EVERYONE that had a Feb 2 deadline will hear back today, even if they don't get a scholarship? 172/4.0 here, hoping for a scholly, but hoping more just to hear today regardless...

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:23 pm

Sebastian11 wrote:hm, haven't gotten anything yet either. I'm wondering, the email message a few days ago was pretty fuzzy - do you think EVERYONE that had a Feb 2 deadline will hear back today, even if they don't get a scholarship? 172/4.0 here, hoping for a scholly, but hoping more just to hear today regardless...

Similar numbers, 172, 3.9, hoping for a full scholly as well. I'm being optimistic and assuming everyone who go the email saying they'd hear something today will hear something. I admit though, the email was a bit fuzzy.

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:24 pm

Sebastian11 wrote:hm, haven't gotten anything yet either. I'm wondering, the email message a few days ago was pretty fuzzy - do you think EVERYONE that had a Feb 2 deadline will hear back today, even if they don't get a scholarship? 172/4.0 here, hoping for a scholly, but hoping more just to hear today regardless...

I have the Feb 13 deadline. The email I got said that everyone being considered would hear on the 23rd, regardless of award. So hopefully we'll hear today anyway.

Does Georgetown give full scholarships?

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:27 pm

caoyun wrote:

I have the Feb 13 deadline. The email I got said that everyone being considered would hear on the 23rd, regardless of award. So hopefully we'll hear today anyway.

Does Georgetown give full scholarships?

yes, check out the LSAC profile, not an unsubstantial amount of full and half-scholarships

Return to “Financial Aid”