Scholarships at GULC?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
destacain

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby destacain » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:06 pm

Alright georgetown you are officially dead to me. I was actually considering you, waiting patiently to see if I received a scholarship bt still nothing?! I will go running into harvards open arms

Fup

Postby Fup » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:21 pm

My Georgetown! Why hast thou forsaken me?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:23 pm

Nothing for me. I'm not at all surprised, though. Good luck to everyone else!

summertimechi

Postby summertimechi » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Fup wrote:My Georgetown! Why hast thou forsaken me?

+1. Any guesses as to why they did this? Especially without an email letting us know our decisions would yet again be delayed when just yesterday they were so apt to let us know? i'm fearing the worst :cry:

pirouette

Postby pirouette » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:26 pm

Pearl11 wrote:I should've read up on this earlier...I never got an email to apply for scholarships and I was accepted in December really shortly after applying. Are my numbers too low? Is it worth sending them an email now? Georgetown is one of my top schools but I can't afford it without money and GW just gave me a really nice offer.
Also, has anyone heard from their Public Interest program?

I've heard nothing from the PIS application, not even an acknowledgement that they received it. Considering that I got no merit scholarship funds, I'm hoping to hear about the PIS soon.

vealoscar

Postby vealoscar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:31 pm

I know someone tried this earlier, but can we get some numbers going on who is still waiting...

172/3.75
Had to ask for the application
$33K waiting for me at Chicago

destacain

Postby destacain » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:34 pm

170, 3.98 URM with really good softs. Haven't heard anything...

Fup

Postby Fup » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:36 pm

summertimechi wrote:

+1. Any guesses as to why they did this? Especially without an email letting us know our decisions would yet again be delayed when just yesterday they were so apt to let us know? i'm fearing the worst :cry:

I don't think you should fear the worst. I'm as annoyed as anyone, but

1) The rejections can be sent all at once, whereas the scholarships, which come in personalized PDFs, have to be sent individually. I think it's most likely that everyone who is still waiting will get something. (If anyone has gotten a rejection e-mail after someone else has gotten a scholarship, then obviously this is disproved).

2) It would look incredibly bad for the school if they made people wait an extra day without notice (breaking their "promise" from yesterday), only to deny them any money. I think that, assuming they are done for the day, they aren't bothering to notify us because they figure that we'll forget about it once we get our money. Personally, if they sent me an e-mail tomorrow morning telling me that no money was available, I would reply with a withdrawal notification. If they're going to break a promise, they better expect us to get over it, which we undoubtedly will if tens of thousands of dollars are involved.

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:54 pm

1,000,000 points to the person who calls in the morning and asks what's up

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:05 pm

I love Georgetown, but this is definitely disappointing. They just shouldn't promise something and then not say ANYTHING. It's just bad etiquette. Sigh. I would even have accepted another email saying to wait another day. But to not say anything sits badly with me. Granted, they can still make it up to me, but it definitely hurts them in my view.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:10 pm

i agree with the poster above. if i get an email tomorrow saying "no money, sorry", they get a withdrawal in the reply.

some of you on the waitlist might have just hit the jackpot, considering GULC is pissing off a lot of people right now.

Frank

Postby Frank » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:11 pm

Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:18 pm

Frank wrote:
Fup wrote:
summertimechi wrote:

2) It would look incredibly bad for the school if they made people wait an extra day without notice (breaking their "promise" from yesterday), only to deny them any money. I think that, assuming they are done for the day, they aren't bothering to notify us because they figure that we'll forget about it once we get our money. Personally, if they sent me an e-mail tomorrow morning telling me that no money was available, I would reply with a withdrawal notification. If they're going to break a promise, they better expect us to get over it, which we undoubtedly will if tens of thousands of dollars are involved.

Guys, this is the exact answer, and it was exactly what I was thinking. If GU sends you an e-mail tomorrow saying you have a significant amount (and nobody has reported the full amount yet, mind you), you aren't going to reply and complain about the fact that they were a little late. Just chill. This is what is happening. I would bet most of you get above 60k, too, if you haven't yet heard.

Don't get me wrong, I think its a distinct possibility. I was thinking much the same. I think a number of people likely would withdraw their application were they to receive an email saying that they get nothing tomorrow, which might be justified. Either way, I sincerely hope your right, since I would have a hard time taking Georgetown at sticker over GW almost free.

Frank

Postby Frank » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:21 pm

Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

intlsuperstarr

Postby intlsuperstarr » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:22 pm

caoyun wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I think its a distinct possibility. I was thinking much the same. I think a number of people likely would withdraw their application were they to receive an email saying that they get nothing tomorrow, which might be justified. Either way, I sincerely hope your right, since I would have a hard time taking Georgetown at sticker over GW almost free.

I would strongly urge you to ask around DC...from my experience GULC is worth the price compared to GW.

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:25 pm

intlsuperstarr wrote:
caoyun wrote:

I would strongly urge you to ask around DC...from my experience GULC is worth the price compared to GW.

I believe it. But my girlfriend and I want to start a family very shortly after I graduate from law school. And I don't like the idea of being saddled with massive debt while trying to start a family.

vealoscar

Postby vealoscar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:31 pm

caoyun wrote:
intlsuperstarr wrote:
caoyun wrote:

I believe it. But my girlfriend and I want to start a family very shortly after I graduate from law school. And I don't like the idea of being saddled with massive debt while trying to start a family.

Scary thought, granted, but you'll be paying for kids much longer than you'll be paying law school debt. Think long term.

MAD1984

Postby MAD1984 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:35 pm

Alternate :(

Really a bummer as I was very excited about GULC (and thought that came across in my scholarship essay, but whatev). But given other $ offers I wouldn't be able to justify paying sticker. Is that appropriate to say in a letter? The email said to get in touch with them to stay on the "alternate" list... should I treat this as a typical LOCI?

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:36 pm

vealoscar wrote:
caoyun wrote:
intlsuperstarr wrote:

Scary thought, granted, but you'll be paying for kids much longer than you'll be paying law school debt. Think long term.

Its definitely a consideration. But its just not a decision I can make easily. For a lot of people, choosing Georgetown at sticker over GW for next to nothing is an easy choice. It just wouldn't be for me, even though Georgetown is very nearly the perfect school for me. I hope Georgetown makes it a moot point tomorrow, but if they don't, it won't be an easy choice at all.

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:37 pm

MAD1984 wrote:Alternate :(

Really a bummer as I was very excited about GULC (and thought that came across in my scholarship essay, but whatev). But given other $ offers I wouldn't be able to justify paying sticker. Is that appropriate to say in a letter? The email said to get in touch with them to stay on the "alternate" list... should I treat this as a typical LOCI?

I'd say its basically another LOCI. Show you really want it and it'll up you on their list of alternates. Out of curiosity, when did you get the email?

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:38 pm

I got an email at 5:30 est with $30,000 (10k per year).

To be completely honest Georgetown, I could go to UVA with NO merit money and spend the same amount on my education since the cost of living is so high in DC. I know the economy sucks and all, but shouldn't they have longstanding endowments? The fact that no one has gotten over 20k/yr today makes me suspicious that all of y'all who haven't heard anything yet are going to get the high schollys tomorrow! Hang in there and I bet those of us who heard today will be oh-so-envious :?

With that said, if they didn't tell me today and then said "thanks but no thanks" tomorrow, I would definitely be replying with a withdrawal. How long does it take to send out a mass "no thanks" email?

EDIT: Georgetown if you are reading this, please do not email me tomorrow saying you've stripped me of my scholarship due to my bitterness and given it to a lovely applicant who didn't vent on TLS. I just want to feel a little more love... :D

Fup

Postby Fup » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:50 pm

I'm glad to see other people agree with my "reply with a withdrawal" plan if tomorrow's e-mail is a rejection. I will certainly follow through.

Someone should show this thread to the admissions office in case they have something nasty in store for us tomorrow.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:01 pm

Fup wrote:I'm glad to see other people agree with my "reply with a withdrawal" plan if tomorrow's e-mail is a rejection. I will certainly follow through.

Someone should show this thread to the admissions office in case they have something nasty in store for us tomorrow.

i mean, i'll definitely, remorsefully eat crow if i get a big scholarship tomorrow, but i'm more inclined to believe i haven't heard anything because i'm someone who asked for the app and because like iceberger said i'm one that sent in additional info last week after that email the dean sent out.

do i deserve something big? doubtful. many people here who've gotten nothing have better #s than me. i do think that when we're promised something we deserve at least another delay email.

MAD1984

Postby MAD1984 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:13 pm

caoyun wrote:I'd say its basically another LOCI. Show you really want it and it'll up you on their list of alternates. Out of curiosity, when did you get the email?

I received the alternate email at just before 1PM mountain; so 3PM eastern.

crazyinalabama wrote:To be completely honest Georgetown, I could go to UVA with NO merit money and spend the same amount on my education since the cost of living is so high in DC.

My sentiments exactly. And while UVA is a higher-ranked program (and another I am seriously considering), there was just something so appealing about GULC. So this hurts my heart :/

legends159

Postby legends159 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:18 pm

MAD1984 wrote:
caoyun wrote:I'd say its basically another LOCI. Show you really want it and it'll up you on their list of alternates. Out of curiosity, when did you get the email?

I received the alternate email at just before 1PM mountain; so 3PM eastern.

crazyinalabama wrote:To be completely honest Georgetown, I could go to UVA with NO merit money and spend the same amount on my education since the cost of living is so high in DC.

My sentiments exactly. And while UVA is a higher-ranked program (and another I am seriously considering), there was just something so appealing about GULC. So this hurts my heart :/

well you could always go to UVA and get the job in DC over the GULC kid. Oh and you wouldn't have to worry about all those students breathing down your neck trying to break the median.

Return to “Financial Aid”