Scholarships at GULC?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
crosby

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Postby crosby » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:35 pm

gahhhhhhhhhh wrote:...this reflects really poorly on them. I know they receive many, many applications, but they should have an appropriate number of resources to handle all of this. First it was the admitted students website, then the yellow financial aid sheet and now the scholly offers. I'm a huge believer in "writings on the wall," and GULC's inability to effectively deal with its own prescribed deadlines is bolded, italicized and underlined writing.

Oh please. It would reflect poorly on them if they didn't send us ANYTHING yesterday. Taking an extra 24 hours to make sure everyone gets the consideration they deserve? If anything, that reflects BETTER on them. They care more about the students than rushing to meet an arbitrary, self-imposed deadline.

Brucewaynegretzky

Postby Brucewaynegretzky » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:38 pm

^ I have to say your 'tar is bothering me.... He just looks so pretentious all the time.... But I do agree with you. If it means they look closer at my application again and decide to give me anything I'll be happy.

Fup

Postby Fup » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:42 pm

But it could also mean that they look closer at my application and decide that, on second thought, I don't deserve anything.

pineapples

Postby pineapples » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:47 pm

crosby wrote:
gahhhhhhhhhh wrote:...this reflects really poorly on them. I know they receive many, many applications, but they should have an appropriate number of resources to handle all of this. First it was the admitted students website, then the yellow financial aid sheet and now the scholly offers. I'm a huge believer in "writings on the wall," and GULC's inability to effectively deal with its own prescribed deadlines is bolded, italicized and underlined writing.

Oh please. It would reflect poorly on them if they didn't send us ANYTHING yesterday. Taking an extra 24 hours to make sure everyone gets the consideration they deserve? If anything, that reflects BETTER on them. They care more about the students than rushing to meet an arbitrary, self-imposed deadline.

Crosby- would you really choose GULC over Harvard?

mllerustad

Postby mllerustad » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:03 pm

crosby wrote:

Yes, it's arbitrary, but if they can't meet the deadline they set for themselves (for this, or for finaid paperwork, or for the admitted students website...) it would be more professional if they just didn't set a hard deadline at all. It doesn't matter to me if I hear back today or Friday--decision time isn't until April 1. But it's still a broken promise even when it's self-inflicted. It just doesn't look good.

crosby

Postby crosby » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:18 pm

Yeah, I'd choose GULC over Harvard, if GULC gives me $$ and Harvard doesn't give me financial aid, which they probably won't. I want to do communications law, which is all broadcast network and FCC-related. It's in my best interest to go to NY, D.C., or Chicago. I know, I'd have to be crazy to turn down Harvard for GULC, but if GULC makes it worth my while then I probably wouldn't say no.

And Sidney Crosby is one of the most talented hockey players to ever take the ice... plus he's the most attractive thing in Pittsburgh. (Let's just not talk about the Pens sucking this year)

pineapples

Postby pineapples » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:27 pm

crosby wrote:Yeah, I'd choose GULC over Harvard, if GULC gives me $$ and Harvard doesn't give me financial aid, which they probably won't. I want to do communications law, which is all broadcast network and FCC-related. It's in my best interest to go to NY, D.C., or Chicago. I know, I'd have to be crazy to turn down Harvard for GULC, but if GULC makes it worth my while then I probably wouldn't say no.

And Sidney Crosby is one of the most talented hockey players to ever take the ice... plus he's the most attractive thing in Pittsburgh. (Let's just not talk about the Pens sucking this year)

I predict a full ride for you from GULC.

ScarletHammer88

Postby ScarletHammer88 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:16 pm

Bump! Still waiting...

benh2os

Postby benh2os » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:35 pm

I'm starting to wonder if we are about to get another "beg your patience" email

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:36 pm

I took some notes when I went to visit GULC on 2/13. When I get home, I will find them and post what I wrote down about scholarship info. I don't think it was anything mindblowing, but it might be helpful nonetheless.

svrs

Postby svrs » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:57 pm

Just got my e-mail

atlrochester

Postby atlrochester » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:59 pm

whatd it say??

legends159

Postby legends159 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:59 pm

svrs wrote:Just got my e-mail

did it list $$?

Laphroaig10yr

Postby Laphroaig10yr » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:05 pm

Dear X,

I wanted to get back to you regarding your inquiry for merit based aid at Georgetown. The Scholarship Committee has just finished the initial selection process for our limited amount of scholarship funding, and unfortunately, we are unable to offer you merit based aid at this time.

Although they and I wish we had more funding available, we hope you will still decide to join us at Georgetown. If you have not already done so, the financial aid office has asked me to encourage you to begin your application for other sources of financial aid as soon as possible.

Thank you once again for your interest in Georgetown, and I look forward to helping you in any other way that I can.

Best,

Andy

benh2os

Postby benh2os » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:06 pm

numbers?

maddy

Postby maddy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:06 pm

i'm an alternate, and they said i would hear by april 8...hmm.

crosby

Postby crosby » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:08 pm

I just got the Alternate email too. Guess Andy Cornblatt missed all my praise of GULC and my passionate defense of their missed deadline. FML

benh2os

Postby benh2os » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:09 pm

Dear XXX,

I am writing to follow up on your scholarship application for Georgetown University Law Center. At this time, we have made some initial scholarship offers and have designated you as an Alternate. Due to the extremely strong group of applicants this year, we were forced to make some very difficult decisions. However, we are hopeful that we will be able to extend additional scholarship offers to at least some of our small group of Alternates.

For those receiving the initial offers, the response deadline is April 1st. Thus, we will be able to update you by April 8th with more information. We understand that you may be facing decision deadlines at other schools, and appreciate your patience up to this point.

Please email our Associate Director of Admissions, Alison Spada, at hoyas09@law.georgetown.edu <mailto:hoyas09@law.georgetown.edu> to let us know if you would like to remain on the alternate list and if you have any questions.

Best,

Andy Cornblatt

Does this mean there is a possibility we could receive $0 Merit aid?

Go_Cardinals

Postby Go_Cardinals » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:12 pm

So is no news good-news? What's the consensus. I'm refreshing my email, and nothing yet.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:12 pm

They're not giving me any money.

And FWIW I emailed them asking to apply for the scholarship. If everyone else who asked to apply (instead of automatically getting the email) did not get any money then we should note this for future students that they'll let you apply but won't give you anything regardless of what you write.

maddy

Postby maddy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:13 pm

i asked to apply but got the alternate email.

Brucewaynegretzky

Postby Brucewaynegretzky » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:14 pm

Nothing here... but then again I was an ED app. and I emailed them to get the application. No big surprise here. It was worth a shot....

badfish

Postby badfish » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:16 pm

I got nothing.

172 / 3.71

prelaw

Postby prelaw » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:18 pm

Has anyone that received money heard?

intlsuperstarr

Postby intlsuperstarr » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:19 pm

No e-mail for me yet...sigh. Or is that a good thing?

Return to “Financial Aid”