Scholarships at GULC? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Fup

Bronze

Re: Scholarships at GULC?

Post by Fup » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:21 pm

Well, it looks like someone on LSN got 25k/year. Still, considering that person has a similar offer from Columbia and an acceptance at Harvard, that's really nothing. I hope Georgetown plummets in the rankings for this.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:26 pm

vealoscar wrote:I've sent out a lot of withdrawal e-mails where I was tempted to be really nasty only to decide it wasn't worth it. I failed to exercise restraint on this one. It's way too late in the game and there have been so many days of stress that I just couldn't hold back.
could I read it? I love snarky emails.
Fup wrote:Well, it looks like someone on LSN got 25k/year. Still, considering that person has a similar offer from Columbia and an acceptance at Harvard, that's really nothing. I hope Georgetown plummets in the rankings for this.
these little things will adds to the GULC hate on TLS so when someone later on asks, why so much hate for GULC, we can all reference this thread.

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:38 pm

yea, after the initial relief of finally getting an email has worn off, i'm ready to withdraw. 7.5k is not enough to keep me there. My NYU deposit is inching ever closer to the mailbox

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:41 pm

7.5k a year? What kind of BS scholarship is that? It doesn't even cover a year of housing at their dormitory.

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:43 pm

legends159 wrote:7.5k a year? What kind of BS scholarship is that? It doesn't even cover a year of housing at their dormitory.
my thoughts exactly

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sebastian11

New

Post by Sebastian11 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:57 pm

Wow...this wait is really starting to annoy me at this point. Combine that with the disappointing amount that seems inevitable at this point, and I suppose I might start filling out the withdrawal form right about now...

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:08 pm

7.5K... that's really pathetic. I mean, 10K is quite low, but 7.5K is just an insult.

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:08 pm

I just looked at last year's reported scholarship amounts on LSN and they seemed characteristically higher than what we are seeing. Would it be rude and out of line for me to write an email to Alison Spada (in charge of scholarships) and ask if I should be concerned about the economic welfare of GULC? I'm interested in Public Interest and if this is any indication, what assurance do I have that they aren't going to downsize their LRAP program soon?

Thoughts? Jackass move or justified?

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:11 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:I just looked at last year's reported scholarship amounts on LSN and they seemed characteristically higher than what we are seeing. Would it be rude and out of line for me to write an email to Alison Spada (in charge of scholarships) and ask if I should be concerned about the economic welfare of GULC? I'm interested in Public Interest and if this is any indication, what assurance do I have that they aren't going to downsize their LRAP program soon?

I don't think its that jackass a move. They did mention apologetically in the scholarship emails about the state of the economy and its effect on scholarships. I mean, they kinda opened the door.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mbdymu02

New

Post by mbdymu02 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:13 pm

I got 5k per year this morning. As least 7.5k would have helped buy my lunch for a year.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:13 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:I just looked at last year's reported scholarship amounts on LSN and they seemed characteristically higher than what we are seeing. Would it be rude and out of line for me to write an email to Alison Spada (in charge of scholarships) and ask if I should be concerned about the economic welfare of GULC? I'm interested in Public Interest and if this is any indication, what assurance do I have that they aren't going to downsize their LRAP program soon?

It's totally justified. That's your financial situation 10 years down the line we're talking about. If you graduate with the impression that the LRAP would be well endowed and then realize it's not then you're f'ed.

BTW this blog about GULC LRAP may be helpful: http://lawyersgarden.blogspot.com/2007/ ... chool.html

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:20 pm

Fup wrote:7.5K... that's really pathetic. I mean, 10K is quite low, but 7.5K is just an insult.
yea, well i got less than that.

pirouette

New

Post by pirouette » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:29 pm

Damn. I spent yesterday evening crafting a letter to Dean Cornblatt requesting that they reconsider....but after reading about the small amounts they are giving out, I'm not sure if it's worth it. It looks like they really don't have much to give out this year...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:42 pm

legends159 wrote:

It's totally justified. That's your financial situation 10 years down the line we're talking about. If you graduate with the impression that the LRAP would be well endowed and then realize it's not then you're f'ed.

BTW this blog about GULC LRAP may be helpful: http://lawyersgarden.blogspot.com/2007/ ... chool.html
Let's just go to UVA together and call it a day.

vealoscar

New

Post by vealoscar » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:56 pm

pirouette wrote:Damn. I spent yesterday evening crafting a letter to Dean Cornblatt requesting that they reconsider....but after reading about the small amounts they are giving out, I'm not sure if it's worth it. It looks like they really don't have much to give out this year...
Your letter's not going to hurt you. Plus a few people on here (myself included) shoved their money back immediately.

pirouette

New

Post by pirouette » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:03 pm

vealoscar wrote:
pirouette wrote:Damn. I spent yesterday evening crafting a letter to Dean Cornblatt requesting that they reconsider....but after reading about the small amounts they are giving out, I'm not sure if it's worth it. It looks like they really don't have much to give out this year...
Your letter's not going to hurt you. Plus a few people on here (myself included) shoved their money back immediately.
Thanks, it's in the mail. If I get any money at all, I'll have you to thank! Love your 'tar, BTW.

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:04 pm

I'm tempted to do that myself. I think I'm more likely to just not respond at all until they start sending me emails asking me about it... in which case I throw out "I can't go if this is all you give me."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sebastian11

New

Post by Sebastian11 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:34 pm

yea, 10K per year here too....I think I'll say my goodbye to G'Town at this point

jessicaw

New

Post by jessicaw » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:42 pm

DUDE, i didnt get anything and was upset, but now that i see the pittances that GULC is offering scholarship candidates... WTF??

Haha I wrote them a "seriously? KTHXBAI!" letter immeadiately after. No more ass-kissing, i'm done with you.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:50 pm

jessicaw wrote:DUDE, i didnt get anything and was upset, but now that i see the pittances that GULC is offering scholarship candidates... WTF??
Yeah, sadly, this is pretty much bumping them pretty far down my list to the point of no consideration. Cmmmoooooon big offer from Duke and Vandy!

mllerustad

New

Post by mllerustad » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:28 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:Yeah, sadly, this is pretty much bumping them pretty far down my list to the point of no consideration. Cmmmoooooon big offer from Duke and Vandy!
Agreed. Though this does make me worry that other schools will also be stingy--how much variance is there in terms of how endowments are doing from one school or another?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:03 pm

I was just reading over that e-mail again. "I hope this award makes it possible for you to join our entering class at Georgetown Law." I wonder if the person who wrote that did it with a straight face.

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:08 pm

Fup wrote:I was just reading over that e-mail again. "I hope this award makes it possible for you to join our entering class at Georgetown Law." I wonder if the person who wrote that did it with a straight face.
LOLZ. I truly can't consider Georgetown anymore. I have full rides to higher ranked schools. There's just no way $10k/year will do it, even if it is in DC.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:14 pm

this entire thread confirms my decision to wd from gulc today

Currie84

New

Post by Currie84 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:29 am

On a related note, has the yellow sheet for financial aid become available yet? Am I missing something?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”