GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby dapoetic1 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:08 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:Well said Rotor :D

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. But I definitely don't want people thinking that they're going to take 16 credits and get $900 (or whatever is being paid in that state) for all 16 credits--that's probably not going to happen.
I would rather people find out now that they're probably only going to get on average about $8k/semester (that' just a rough estimate that I made us just now not based on any actual math just a few numbers in my head) than for people to think the VA is going to start writing checks for $15k/semester because that's what it's going to cost the students.

The best we can hope for is for all school's to go back and look at some specific undergrad programs that may end up being very expensive for an undergrad and have them submit the highest fee possible to VA.


I can only speak from my experience, at my school you paid for 15 credits, there were no extra charges if you exceeded that threshold. However, they did cap the amount of credits you could be enrolled in based off your GPA. I actually made it a point to take as many classes as I could to save money, I usually took 18-21 credits at a time.


Yeah..your point is kind of the point I've been using. A lot of schools have a flat fee once you reach so many full time credits.The VA recognizes 12 but if your schools has a lower number that makes you full time they will recognize the lower amount (like many grad schools say 9 is the min for full time or summer programs use 6 credits to be full time). At the most expensive public school that very cap they charge full time undergrads is going to be the max amount they're going to pay any veteran ugrad, grad, or professional student.
The VA won't cap the number of credits you can enroll in, but they will cap the amount of money you're going to get for being enrolled at the max undergrad tuition cap for that state.

illmal
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:03 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby illmal » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:31 am

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Last edited by illmal on Mon May 10, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krys987
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:17 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby Krys987 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:03 pm

Wow are non residents in California screwed?

http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/C ... d_fees.htm

1 California public colleges and universities do not charge resident undergraduate tuition.


(apparently they don't charge graduate either?)

User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby dapoetic1 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:05 pm

Krys987 wrote:Wow are non residents in California screwed?

http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/C ... d_fees.htm

1 California public colleges and universities do not charge resident undergraduate tuition.


(apparently they don't charge graduate either?)


You're right! CA students are completely screwed, unless they're residents. In which case they don't have to pay tuition just the fees.
It really wouldn't matter if the graduate school charged tuition because the figures would still be based on undergrad tuition. Actually, it workes in the student's favor if the grad schools don't charge tuition because then they're only responsible for fees if they can find a way to become California residents.

California is really worrying me on their financial planning.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby Rotor » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:35 pm

California charges zero tuition UG or graduate-- which is why in previous posts I couldn't understand where the /hour rate was coming from. Graduate schools just charge mega fees to all students and add "tuition" for non residents. Since a 0 on the bill for "tuition" earns 0 in the Bill and since non residents only get what residents do, it really is as one would expect.

I am very thankful that the per term fees have creeped up over time. First estimate I saw was in the 4K neighborhood-- so the CA story is actually improving rather than getting worse.

Now if they'd just decide some 30K private pilot class qualifies and submit that to VA, I'd be ecstatic!!

User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby dapoetic1 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:04 pm

Rotor wrote:California charges zero tuition UG or graduate-- which is why in previous posts I couldn't understand where the /hour rate was coming from. Graduate schools just charge mega fees to all students and add "tuition" for non residents. Since a 0 on the bill for "tuition" earns 0 in the Bill and since non residents only get what residents do, it really is as one would expect.

I am very thankful that the per term fees have creeped up over time. First estimate I saw was in the 4K neighborhood-- so the CA story is actually improving rather than getting worse.

Now if they'd just decide some 30K private pilot class qualifies and submit that to VA, I'd be ecstatic!!


You know if you did a little research on some of the public cali schools you never know what you could uncover, and then you could submit that to the board of regents in CA and get them to submit it to VA.
C'Mon get those lawyer skills to work!!!

illmal
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:03 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby illmal » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:12 pm

According to this, 15 out of 17 of Columbia's schools will participate, but it doesn't specify the law school...

http://www.newsweek.com/id/194626

User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby dapoetic1 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:42 pm

Anyone have confirmation on whether or not Northwestern will participate.
There was a letter that circulated Aug 2008 that said all Illinois schools would participate, and then a few weeks ago the Northwesten Law school website published an article from Knox college (a private school in IL) praising them for participating in Yellow Ribbon.
The dean of Knox College was a Northwestern Law grad so I wonder if they're feeling any pressure.

User avatar
joehad7
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:02 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby joehad7 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:02 am

WUSTL has confirmed that they will be participating in the YRP. Go Bears!

User avatar
Cole S. Law
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby Cole S. Law » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:53 am

joehad7 wrote:WUSTL has confirmed that they will be participating in the YRP. Go Bears!


That's great that WUSTL will be participating. I really wish the complete list had been available when I was sending out applications. I probably could have gotten into WUSTL. Thanks for the info joehad7.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby Rotor » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:06 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:
joehad7 wrote:WUSTL has confirmed that they will be participating in the YRP. Go Bears!


That's great that WUSTL will be participating. I really wish the complete list had been available when I was sending out applications. I probably could have gotten into WUSTL. Thanks for the info joehad7.


Woulda been nice. But we're still better off than some of the vets I've been talking to who are 1L and 2L who will get SOME benefit from GI Bill but not be able to retroactively pay for the semesters they've already taken.

How much would it suck to be a 3L veteran right now, knowing there's this great plan coming that won't really be much use. Guess they'll be looking at funding their LLM! :)

AndyB617
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:38 am

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby AndyB617 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:28 pm

i just want to make sure you fellow vets knew that it is official that the VA will start accepting applications on May 1. you can do it online (i think) or thru snail mail. still haven't heard anything from my school about the YRP though. by the way, is anyone here planning on applying for JAG?

User avatar
Cole S. Law
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby Cole S. Law » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:27 pm

AndyB617 wrote:i just want to make sure you fellow vets knew that it is official that the VA will start accepting applications on May 1. you can do it online (i think) or thru snail mail. still haven't heard anything from my school about the YRP though. by the way, is anyone here planning on applying for JAG?


Good to know. I'll be submitting my app that day in the hope (fingers crossed) of getting my $ on time. I am considering JAG my backup plan. I would rather not, but I'd think I'd have an excellent shot if all else fails given my service record. I would shoot for Air Force or Navy. I'd love to go Coast Guard, but I don't think they have many slots available. I'm too old and crippled to go to Marine Corps boot camp, and I've had my fill of the Army.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby Rotor » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:10 pm

So there I was, walking through the exchange when I came across Congressman Glenn Nye (D-VA) who represents parts of the Norfolk/ VA Beach area and big supporter of the GI Bill. I stopped and talked for a few minutes and thanked him for support of the bill. I expressed my concern about the VA being overwhelmed this Fall and he said they are working to make sure the VA has the resources they need to be successful. (We will see, but at least they are thinking about it). Also mentioned that the program may need to be simplified a bit to encourage more schools to participate in YRP. He's part of the sub-committee that is going to be examining the effect of the Bill as it goes into execution. They will be looking primarily at the recruiting and retention impacts, but school participation will be part of that equation.

Thought it was too good an opportunity to pass up to talk directly to someone who can actually *do* something about our concerns.

User avatar
Cole S. Law
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby Cole S. Law » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:51 pm

Rotor wrote:So there I was, walking through the exchange when I came across Congressman Glenn Nye (D-VA) who represents parts of the Norfolk/ VA Beach area and big supporter of the GI Bill. I stopped and talked for a few minutes and thanked him for support of the bill. I expressed my concern about the VA being overwhelmed this Fall and he said they are working to make sure the VA has the resources they need to be successful. (We will see, but at least they are thinking about it). Also mentioned that the program may need to be simplified a bit to encourage more schools to participate in YRP. He's part of the sub-committee that is going to be examining the effect of the Bill as it goes into execution. They will be looking primarily at the recruiting and retention impacts, but school participation will be part of that equation.

Thought it was too good an opportunity to pass up to talk directly to someone who can actually *do* something about our concerns.


Sweet. Excellent lobbying. I nominate Rotor as TLS GI Bill official spokesperson.

User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby dapoetic1 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:03 pm

Seconded :roll:

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:54 pm

Remember people, we can register on May 1
Remember people, we can register on May 1
Remember people, we can register on May 1
Remember people, we can register on May 1
Remember people, we can register on May 1
Remember people, we can register on May 1
Remember people, we can register on May 1
Remember people, we can register on May 1
Remember people, we can register on May 1

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby Rotor » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:34 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:Remember people, we can register on May 1
Remember people, we can register on May 1
Remember people, we can register on May 1
Remember people, we can register on May 1
Remember people, we can register on May 1
Remember people, we can register on May 1
Remember people, we can register on May 1
Remember people, we can register on May 1
Remember people, we can register on May 1

I'll accept the nomination to be the spokesperson on the condition that LSAT from NC is appointed our drill sgt!

Thanks for the reminder!

illmal
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:03 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby illmal » Fri May 01, 2009 11:30 am

Waiting for the list of yellow ribbon schools is a lot more exciting than awaiting the results of the USNews rankings!

More news trickles in...

GW: full ride undergrad, $3,800 for grad (which I assume would be matched by the VA for a total of $7,600 plus the measly DC per credit rate)
Columbia: in, though not sure how much. Their School of General Studies is in all the way at %50.
Georgetown: in, but working out details.
Fordham: in, and they sound pretty enthusiastic, but no specifics.
Harvard: considering.
Standford: considering, thanks to extended deadline.

Check the article out at:

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009 ... llowribbon

They've been pretty good about keeping tabs on this process.

User avatar
joehad7
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:02 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby joehad7 » Fri May 01, 2009 11:36 am

I've successfully logged into the new website. Unfortunately, the system crashed moments before I completed my application.

I expected this would happen. Ah, well...

User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby dapoetic1 » Fri May 01, 2009 12:08 pm

System times out when I try to creat the new form!
For a minute I was starting to think this might actually work today :lol: :lol: :lol:
VA didn't let me down

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby Rotor » Fri May 01, 2009 7:53 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:System times out when I try to creat the new form!
For a minute I was starting to think this might actually work today :lol: :lol: :lol:
VA didn't let me down

Joehad & poetic. I had similar issues when I logged in this AM too. Go to the text-only version (bottom right of one of the first few VONAPP screens). Seems to avoid the time-out issue a bit better.

I timed out a couple of times that way too, but finally got through it. One of the time-outs was after I hit submit-- and from that point on couldn't even get the login to take. When I got home this evening, I was able to log in (to the graphics enabled site even) and when it came up, it said my form was final with a confirmation number! Looks like the "submit" electron was the last one through!

So, even though I wasted half the day after that trying to get in, I was complete as of 11AM EST this morning!

Good luck to everyone still trying to negotiate the VONAPP servers!

User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby dapoetic1 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:59 pm

Actually a little patience this afternoon paid of nicely. I actually got mine submitted electronically. after a few timeouts early on I was able to get through the entire process rather smoothly :shock:

Krys987
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:17 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby Krys987 » Sun May 03, 2009 4:40 pm

i just want to know which Colorado program costs $43k in fees?

User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby dapoetic1 » Sun May 03, 2009 9:28 pm

Krys987 wrote:i just want to know which Colorado program costs $43k in fees?


Flight instruction
-Cost of renting a plane, gas, instructor




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NCGuy and 1 guest