New GI Bill

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby SwollenMonkey » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:00 pm

I'm waiting, too! I've begun the process, but have not forwarded my DD214 cause they haven't asked for it. I'll be delivering copies to my law schools' financial aid office and I'll update accordingly.

I'm getting a nice amount and it looks to be for 12 months only.

My rate is 40% since I did not serve for an extensive amount of time.

Let's hope this is squared away soon for all our sakes!

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby MURPH » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:51 pm

edit: never mind. misread something.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:03 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:I'm waiting, too! I've begun the process, but have not forwarded my DD214 cause they haven't asked for it. I'll be delivering copies to my law schools' financial aid office and I'll update accordingly.

I'm getting a nice amount and it looks to be for 12 months only.

My rate is 40% since I did not serve for an extensive amount of time.

Let's hope this is squared away soon for all our sakes!


I'm still waiting on my DD214 from the AF. I did e-mail the VA and ask though since they didn't request mine and they said to definitely mail a copy to your regional office whether requested or not.

User avatar
big_blue79
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:07 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby big_blue79 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:02 am

Update: I got a letter from the Buffalo VA office about benefits, a pro-rated BAH deposit, and pending payment with NYU. I've been very impressed with the turnaround time so far.

nukelaloosh
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby nukelaloosh » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:49 pm

big_blue79 wrote:Update: I got a letter from the Buffalo VA office about benefits, a pro-rated BAH deposit, and pending payment with NYU. I've been very impressed with the turnaround time so far.


When did you certify your enrollment?

User avatar
big_blue79
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:07 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby big_blue79 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:19 pm

nukelaloosh wrote:
big_blue79 wrote:Update: I got a letter from the Buffalo VA office about benefits, a pro-rated BAH deposit, and pending payment with NYU. I've been very impressed with the turnaround time so far.


When did you certify your enrollment?


July 15th or so I sent the form to the VA coordinator, who promptly sent it off to the VA. So, about a month turnaround. Not bad, especially for the VA.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:19 pm

So, I had a mysterious payment for $625 from the US Treasury today. Does anyone know how the VA pro-rates? My enrollment started Sep 7 so I'm not sure how it would work out to this. (If this is pro-rated for 3 weeks of Sept it should be like $1K.)

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby Rotor » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:03 pm

blowhard wrote:So, I had a mysterious payment for $625 from the US Treasury today. Does anyone know how the VA pro-rates? My enrollment started Sep 7 so I'm not sure how it would work out to this. (If this is pro-rated for 3 weeks of Sept it should be like $1K.)
It could be a book stipend payment. Depending on the # of units you are taking you'll get more than $500 first term. Second semester you'll just get the balance of the $1000.

User avatar
Cole S. Law
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby Cole S. Law » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:12 pm

I was reviewing my account details from last year and I don't seem to have received the balance of my book $. Did anyone else have this happen. I was so caught up in school last year that I didn't notice.

the lantern
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby the lantern » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:14 am

Its more than a month into school and the VA still hasn't paid my school. They say it will be 2-3 more weeks. Credit cards are maxed. *shakes fist*

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby Rotor » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:03 pm

the lantern wrote:Its more than a month into school and the VA still hasn't paid my school. They say it will be 2-3 more weeks. Credit cards are maxed. *shakes fist*

At Berkeley, the main campus is responsible for the certification. We've been in school since mid Aug and they just last week got the cert in. Way to put us at the back of the line vets services! (I use "services" very loosely here).

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby MURPH » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:20 pm

$$$$ Money arrived in my account this week. Book money on Wednesday and Yellow ribbon money today. I am a happy little 1L.

gtbubblehead
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby gtbubblehead » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:29 pm

MURPH wrote:$$$$ Money arrived in my account this week. Book money on Wednesday and Yellow ribbon money today. I am a happy little 1L.


Would you mind sharing when your school certified your enrollment? Thanks!

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby MURPH » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:49 pm

On August 15th.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby Rotor » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:53 am

MURPH wrote:On August 15th.

Crapola...that means I still have a month to go.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:20 pm

big_blue79 wrote:Update: I got a letter from the Buffalo VA office about benefits, a pro-rated BAH deposit, and pending payment with NYU. I've been very impressed with the turnaround time so far.


+1. I certified the middle of Aug and everything had paid out...book and pro-rated BAH. I don't know if Yellow Ribbon has or not as Michigan just applied the credit when they certified me.

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby oldhippie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:14 am

CyLaw wrote:
BaronDetroit wrote:. I really envy those with scholarships because if you got a full ride you should still get paid. If you got 36 months of benefits at the 100% rate you should be living large.


This part depends entirely on the school.


bumping this because i'm very curious about this issue - does anyone know how true this is and how to tell which schools will allow you to get GI Bill $$ to keep if you get a scholly?

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby CyLaw » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:57 am

oldhippie wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
BaronDetroit wrote:. I really envy those with scholarships because if you got a full ride you should still get paid. If you got 36 months of benefits at the 100% rate you should be living large.


This part depends entirely on the school.


bumping this because i'm very curious about this issue - does anyone know how true this is and how to tell which schools will allow you to get GI Bill $$ to keep if you get a scholly?


You will always get the GI Bill $$ if you use it. It is whether the school will still give you the scholarship since you have outside aid that covers tuition. For each school that you get a scholarship at, ask how outside aid and the GI Bill will affect the amount of the scholarship.

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby MURPH » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:32 pm

I don't think the schools are allowed to count VA benefits against you when giving financial aid including scholarships. If I remember correctly Obama signed a bill to that effect in December 09.

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby oldhippie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:44 pm

MURPH wrote:I don't think the schools are allowed to count VA benefits against you when giving financial aid including scholarships. If I remember correctly Obama signed a bill to that effect in December 09.


i hope you're right, because i'll need loans to survive even though the GI bill will end up giving me more than the COA - i emailed a school today to see what impact GI bill benefits will have on loans but they haven't gotten back to me yet - i'll let y'all know what they say (unless someone here already knows that answer for sure!)

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby CyLaw » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:06 pm

MURPH wrote:I don't think the schools are allowed to count VA benefits against you when giving financial aid including scholarships. If I remember correctly Obama signed a bill to that effect in December 09.


That applies to need based financial aid, (maybe even only federal aid). I have gotten verification about that from my undergrad and a VA rep.

ETA: Just double checked the law, the exclusion of benefit only applies to Financial Assistance from the federal government, namely loans and federal grants. See 20 U.S.C. § 1087vv(a)(2). i.o.w A school may still count GI Bill benefits against you for merit aid.

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby oldhippie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:25 am

CU emailed and said that "the VA benefits being paid to you will have no impact on your loans" - short and sweet (and what i needed to hear!)
thanks for your input, cylaw!

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:29 am

oldhippie wrote:CU emailed and said that "the VA benefits being paid to you will have no impact on your loans" - short and sweet (and what i needed to hear!)
thanks for your input, cylaw!


I thought you were worried about scholarships?

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby oldhippie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:48 am

CyLaw wrote:
oldhippie wrote:CU emailed and said that "the VA benefits being paid to you will have no impact on your loans" - short and sweet (and what i needed to hear!)
thanks for your input, cylaw!


I thought you were worried about scholarships?


i had 2 worries/questions...one was to be sure i can still get loans for living even though the GI bill benefits will exceed the COA...the other was more a curiosity - i have heard that at some schools, if you get scholly $$ and GI bill benefits and there is "extra money" so to speak, you can keep the extra money - it's refunded to you or something. i was wondering if this was true and, if so, what schools operate this way. not trying to scam anyone, but if i can keep some of the extra for living expenses, i won't need loans...
sorry for the lack of clarity! i have a lot of questions these days!!

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:00 am

oldhippie wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
oldhippie wrote:CU emailed and said that "the VA benefits being paid to you will have no impact on your loans" - short and sweet (and what i needed to hear!)
thanks for your input, cylaw!


I thought you were worried about scholarships?


i had 2 worries/questions...one was to be sure i can still get loans for living even though the GI bill benefits will exceed the COA...the other was more a curiosity - i have heard that at some schools, if you get scholly $$ and GI bill benefits and there is "extra money" so to speak, you can keep the extra money - it's refunded to you or something. i was wondering if this was true and, if so, what schools operate this way. not trying to scam anyone, but if i can keep some of the extra for living expenses, i won't need loans...
sorry for the lack of clarity! i have a lot of questions these days!!


No problem, just wanted to make sure that your questions were being answered. :)




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest