New GI Bill

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
User avatar
Cole S. Law
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby Cole S. Law » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:06 am

I'm doing an externship (for credit) during the summer to keep the BAH flowing. My net cost for a summer's worth of BAH is going to be @ $875 in tuition, plus I will have a 5 credit lead on my gradation totals. I plan to extern with a judge or the USAO next Spring and take a reduced class load to free up the time.

User avatar
duckz
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:33 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby duckz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:21 am

lol, nice shirt/avatar

the lantern
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby the lantern » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:42 am

Cole S. Law wrote:I'm doing an externship (for credit) during the summer to keep the BAH flowing. My net cost for a summer's worth of BAH is going to be @ $875 in tuition, plus I will have a 5 credit lead on my gradation totals. I plan to extern with a judge or the USAO next Spring and take a reduced class load to free up the time.


Since you will be getting credit in the summmer and paying tuition, will this count as three/four months used towards your total? I'm going to be cutting it pretty close because I used my GI Bill for the last two quarters of undergrad, but what you're doing sounds like a really good way to keep aid flowing (plus get some good experience in).

User avatar
GIBilled
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby GIBilled » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:19 am

"The interval pay is the same rate as you were receiving prior to the break... with the new GI Bill that is easy because there is no prorated living allowance for part time students. If you are break will be longer then 8 weeks you will need to take some classes to still qualify. And your school decided what is considered part-time/full-time.

So if your school says that full time is 7 credits over the summer, 4 credits will get you the full GI Bill living allowance."

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby MURPH » Wed May 26, 2010 8:30 pm

CyLaw wrote:
MURPH wrote:Several pages back on this discussion board some people mentioned that they were getting health insurance paid for through the new GI Bill if the school lists it as a fee. Does anyone know if this is individual insurance or can we get health care insurance for the wife and kids too?
Does it vary from school to school? I am likely going to go to UCLA.


Varies from school to school. VA will pay from the mandate fees of the school, so it depends on if the school tells the VA that it is a mandated fee. Contact the Veteran's rep at the school.

hey vets,
I am getting no where asking about this at UCLA. I've tried the VA rep and the school's health and wellness center and the insurance company that runs the school's health care plan. I think I am the first one at the school to ask this question so I may have to look elsewhere for an answer. Is there anyone here (or that you know about) that is able to get the VA to pay for a family plan?

The health insurance at UCLA is mandatory for me. If it is just one bill item then I am pretty certain the VA will pay it. Like if i just have to pick plan A, B or C, then I gather that the VA will let me pick whatever one I want. But I don't know if there are separate bills for self and family.

Thanks

User avatar
nateDgr8
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby nateDgr8 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:11 am

I'm still on active duty but start terminal leave on July 23rd, starting at Columbia August 16th. I received my separation orders about a week ago and have PSD working on an interim DD-214 which isn't complete yet and could be a while. I've spent 4 years active all post 9/11 so I should be 100% eligible.

Should I apply for Ch 33 benifits via VONAPP now or wait for the DD-214?

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby CyLaw » Thu May 27, 2010 10:19 am

nateDgr8 wrote:I'm still on active duty but start terminal leave on July 23rd, starting at Columbia August 16th. I received my separation orders about a week ago and have PSD working on an interim DD-214 which isn't complete yet and could be a while. I've spent 4 years active all post 9/11 so I should be 100% eligible.

Should I apply for Ch 33 benifits via VONAPP now or wait for the DD-214?


When is your separation date? As long as you are considered active duty (which you are on terminal leave), you don't qualify for the BAH part of Ch 33. Talk to the Columbia VA rep, but I bet that the best deal for you would be to wait until after your separation date, apply for benefits, and then try to get it for the current term.

Definitely something to discuss with your VA rep and the VA itself.

User avatar
nateDgr8
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby nateDgr8 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:47 am

CyLaw wrote:
nateDgr8 wrote:I'm still on active duty but start terminal leave on July 23rd, starting at Columbia August 16th. I received my separation orders about a week ago and have PSD working on an interim DD-214 which isn't complete yet and could be a while. I've spent 4 years active all post 9/11 so I should be 100% eligible.

Should I apply for Ch 33 benifits via VONAPP now or wait for the DD-214?


When is your separation date? As long as you are considered active duty (which you are on terminal leave), you don't qualify for the BAH part of Ch 33. Talk to the Columbia VA rep, but I bet that the best deal for you would be to wait until after your separation date, apply for benefits, and then try to get it for the current term.

Definitely something to discuss with your VA rep and the VA itself.


Seperation date is October 20th. Considering I will still be getting BAH + base base until that date I'm not worried about getting only the tuition payments from Ch 33.

Will they even accept my VONAPP without at DD-214?

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby CyLaw » Thu May 27, 2010 11:50 am

nateDgr8 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
nateDgr8 wrote:I'm still on active duty but start terminal leave on July 23rd, starting at Columbia August 16th. I received my separation orders about a week ago and have PSD working on an interim DD-214 which isn't complete yet and could be a while. I've spent 4 years active all post 9/11 so I should be 100% eligible.

Should I apply for Ch 33 benifits via VONAPP now or wait for the DD-214?


When is your separation date? As long as you are considered active duty (which you are on terminal leave), you don't qualify for the BAH part of Ch 33. Talk to the Columbia VA rep, but I bet that the best deal for you would be to wait until after your separation date, apply for benefits, and then try to get it for the current term.

Definitely something to discuss with your VA rep and the VA itself.


Seperation date is October 20th. Considering I will still be getting BAH + base base until that date I'm not worried about getting only the tuition payments from Ch 33.

Will they even accept my VONAPP without at DD-214?


They will, since Active Duty are allowed to use Chapter 33 with some restrictions. You may just have to refill out the form once you want to switch to using it after separation.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby Rotor » Thu May 27, 2010 6:22 pm

CyLaw wrote:
nateDgr8 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
nateDgr8 wrote:I'm still on active duty but start terminal leave on July 23rd, starting at Columbia August 16th. I received my separation orders about a week ago and have PSD working on an interim DD-214 which isn't complete yet and could be a while. I've spent 4 years active all post 9/11 so I should be 100% eligible.

Should I apply for Ch 33 benifits via VONAPP now or wait for the DD-214?


When is your separation date? As long as you are considered active duty (which you are on terminal leave), you don't qualify for the BAH part of Ch 33. Talk to the Columbia VA rep, but I bet that the best deal for you would be to wait until after your separation date, apply for benefits, and then try to get it for the current term.

Definitely something to discuss with your VA rep and the VA itself.


Seperation date is October 20th. Considering I will still be getting BAH + base base until that date I'm not worried about getting only the tuition payments from Ch 33.

Will they even accept my VONAPP without at DD-214?


They will, since Active Duty are allowed to use Chapter 33 with some restrictions. You may just have to refill out the form once you want to switch to using it after separation.

Nope. I was a 30 Sep 09 separation and didn't need to do anything but fax in the DD-214 once I got it. GI Bill BAH kicked in on time as advertised (and color me amazed). [note: past performance does not guarantee furture results-- especially in a different region]

Just fill in the VONAPP now. That will give the VA as much time as they can get to send your LOE (which you'll need to get to CLS before they certify you). The sooner all that gets done the better.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:25 pm

Rotor wrote:
Nope. I was a 30 Sep 09 separation and didn't need to do anything but fax in the DD-214 once I got it. GI Bill BAH kicked in on time as advertised (and color me amazed). [note: past performance does not guarantee furture results-- especially in a different region]

Just fill in the VONAPP now. That will give the VA as much time as they can get to send your LOE (which you'll need to get to CLS before they certify you). The sooner all that gets done the better.


+1. There is an option to say if you are on terminal leave. After submitting a question to the VA reps, I filled it out as if I was off active duty and put the correct date of separation in it, then noted it in the remarks. They give you a generic LOE anyhow that can be used for any program. (I am using mine for a Dale Carnegie class this summer....which the reps said wasn't a problem.)

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby CyLaw » Thu May 27, 2010 6:31 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
Rotor wrote:
Nope. I was a 30 Sep 09 separation and didn't need to do anything but fax in the DD-214 once I got it. GI Bill BAH kicked in on time as advertised (and color me amazed). [note: past performance does not guarantee furture results-- especially in a different region]

Just fill in the VONAPP now. That will give the VA as much time as they can get to send your LOE (which you'll need to get to CLS before they certify you). The sooner all that gets done the better.


+1. There is an option to say if you are on terminal leave. After submitting a question to the VA reps, I filled it out as if I was off active duty and put the correct date of separation in it, then noted it in the remarks. They give you a generic LOE anyhow that can be used for any program. (I am using mine for a Dale Carnegie class this summer....which the reps said wasn't a problem.)


Yeah. I was trying to remember how it worked from 4 years ago when I did it. Glad you guys are on here to correct my bad info :).

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby Rotor » Thu May 27, 2010 6:39 pm

CyLaw wrote:Yeah. I was trying to remember how it worked from 4 years ago when I did it. Glad you guys are on here to correct my bad info :).

No sweat....Post 9/11 may be different than MGIB too. Last year we were dealing with the unknown of the new program and major systemic delays.

User avatar
nateDgr8
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby nateDgr8 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:01 pm

Rotor wrote:
CyLaw wrote:Yeah. I was trying to remember how it worked from 4 years ago when I did it. Glad you guys are on here to correct my bad info :).

No sweat....Post 9/11 may be different than MGIB too. Last year we were dealing with the unknown of the new program and major systemic delays.


I appreciate all the input. It's in the VA's hands now. Hopefully all the lessons learned from you all last year will make this fairly painless.

Army2Law
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby Army2Law » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:23 pm

Apply now. I did I when I still had 4 months left in. All that matters is you have 36 months or more of qualifying time by the time you apply for the eligibility letter.

nateDgr8 wrote:I'm still on active duty but start terminal leave on July 23rd, starting at Columbia August 16th. I received my separation orders about a week ago and have PSD working on an interim DD-214 which isn't complete yet and could be a while. I've spent 4 years active all post 9/11 so I should be 100% eligible.

Should I apply for Ch 33 benifits via VONAPP now or wait for the DD-214?

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby MURPH » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:06 am

Senator Akaka of HI proposed some changes to improve the GI Bill. The one that may be of interest here is greater access to benefits for disabled vets, National Guard, reservists and Coast Guard.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin ... 010_record

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby MURPH » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:33 am

Also, the new $$$ numbers have come out for 2010 - 2011 yellow ribbon scholarships. Some schools have increased the amount significantly. Cornell, for example, will fully cover tuition for all eligible GIs. GULC increase its share of funding to $5,000 per student. UCLA will fully fund 10 students. Penn is giving the same $10K to 7 students.
http://www.gibill.va.gov/gi_bill_info/c ... t_2010.htm

edit. I called Northwestern and let them know they weren't on the list. They said the correction should be there by Monday. I guess the VA posted the list prematurely.

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:00 pm

MURPH wrote:Cornell, for example, will fully cover tuition for all eligible GIs.


The EXACT reason I will be at Cornell. (That and my wife finding a job there).

Rawlsian
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby Rawlsian » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:06 pm

CyLaw wrote:
MURPH wrote:Cornell, for example, will fully cover tuition for all eligible GIs.


The EXACT reason I will be at Cornell. (That and my wife finding a job there).


WHAt?! I'm completely set on Vandy, but this may be a kink...

edit: I just noticed Michigan has a $99,000 limit as well.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:16 pm

Rawlsian wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
MURPH wrote:Cornell, for example, will fully cover tuition for all eligible GIs.


The EXACT reason I will be at Cornell. (That and my wife finding a job there).


WHAt?! I'm completely set on Vandy, but this may be a kink...

edit: I just noticed Michigan has a $99,000 limit as well.


Michigan's old limit was still over what tuition would be. Yellow Ribbon scholarships are automatic there, after turning in my COE I was told they would apply the scholarship as soon as my tuition charged. Michelle, their veteran coordinator, is really great.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby Rotor » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:22 pm

MURPH wrote:Also, the new $$$ numbers have come out for 2010 - 2011 yellow ribbon scholarships. Some schools have increased the amount significantly. Cornell, for example, will fully cover tuition for all eligible GIs. GULC increase its share of funding to $5,000 per student. UCLA will fully fund 10 students. Penn is giving the same $10K to 7 students.
http://www.gibill.va.gov/gi_bill_info/c ... t_2010.htm

edit. I called Northwestern and let them know they weren't on the list. They said the correction should be there by Monday. I guess the VA posted the list prematurely.

I don't think it's the final numbers for all schools. Boalt submitted their package to add YRP back before the deadline and it hasn't processed yet. (Though I have to admit, the longer the $ doesn't show up on that table, the more nervous I get...)

OIF2LAW
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:05 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby OIF2LAW » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:20 pm


User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: New GI Bill

Postby MURPH » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:40 am

The money below refers to the Yellow Ribbon program, not the GI Bill which is separate. T14+1 updated for this new cycle. Feel free to add comments. If there is good feedback I'll post a whole new tread to follow this.

Yale $5000 Per student, not sure how many students including undergrads etc.
Harvard Law $20,000 x 20 students. Based on what I’ve read they only have a handful of ex-mil students.
Stanford $3,000 unlimited number of students
Columbia $3,000 for 30 students
NYU $3,500 for an unlimited # of students
UC Berkeley $5,000 for 10 students
Penn $10,000 for 7 students.
Chicago $5,500 for 4 students
Northwestern $10,000 for 10 students
Virginia $6,000 for an unlimited # of students
Michigan $99999 x all.
Cornell $99999 x all.
Duke $10,000 x 2 for law. Grad study in law is $10,000 x 1 (I’m not sure what the difference is but I assume they mean 2 JD’s and 1 Law studies degree in association with another discipline.)
G-Town $2,500 for all students.
UCLA $99999 x all
Last edited by MURPH on Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby Rotor » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:02 am

The 10 students at Boalt should be enough to cover every Ch33/100% eligible (unless 2013 is a huge departure from previous classes). Financial Aid dean's intent is to not deal with the first come first served issue by making it available to all eligible. This year that happens to be <=10.

Now all we have to do is leverage some of those 99999 schools to get Berk to follow suit next year!

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: New GI Bill

Postby CyLaw » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:25 am

You might want to clarify also for any new comers that you are referring to the Yellow Ribbon Program




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest