New GI Bill Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Ramius

Gold

Re: New GI Bill

Post by Ramius » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:57 am

Yeah, and groups like the VFW and student VA are attacking on a state by state basis, but hitting it on a Federal level would accomplish this much more quickly. Then again, this requires Congress acting quickly, and given the budget crisis and a defense appropriations bill in waiting that has already cancelled carrier deployments and delayed/cancelled several important overhauls (not as familiar with the immediate impact outside the Navy, so someone could comment more knowledgeably about that), I'm not holding my breath.

paul554

New

Post by paul554 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:32 am

ScottRiqui wrote:Yes, it will pay all tuition and fees at any public university. There's also a book stipend and BAH, as you mentioned. If you're considering a private school, I'm not sure if attending under your father's GI Bill benefits would qualify you to use the Yellow Ribbon program, but it's something to look into.

And you're correct that you'll be cut off on your 26th birthday.
The yellow ribbon is only available to service members with 100% eligibility. It does not apply to spouses or dependents. In regards to the age cutoff, if you start enrollment before 26, as long as you are continually enrolled in your degree (summer breaks are allowed) then you will be allowed to finish you degree even after the age of 26 so long as you have GI Bill benefits remaining. Keep in mind this ONLY applies to your current degree plan. So if your 27 when you finish your Bachelors, you could not just then continue enrollment into say law school or an MBA program.

voytek

Bronze

Post by voytek » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:26 pm

paul554 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:Yes, it will pay all tuition and fees at any public university. There's also a book stipend and BAH, as you mentioned. If you're considering a private school, I'm not sure if attending under your father's GI Bill benefits would qualify you to use the Yellow Ribbon program, but it's something to look into.

And you're correct that you'll be cut off on your 26th birthday.
The yellow ribbon is only available to service members with 100% eligibility. It does not apply to spouses or dependents. In regards to the age cutoff, if you start enrollment before 26, as long as you are continually enrolled in your degree (summer breaks are allowed) then you will be allowed to finish you degree even after the age of 26 so long as you have GI Bill benefits remaining. Keep in mind this ONLY applies to your current degree plan. So if your 27 when you finish your Bachelors, you could not just then continue enrollment into say law school or an MBA program.
Thanks. I was hoping that they would have some stipulation like that. So if I were continuing the JD program I started before 26 I should be able to continue it for all three years and keep the GI benefits that I started with. Where did you find that info? I've been searching for it but to no avail.

paul554

New

Post by paul554 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:02 pm

voytek wrote:
paul554 wrote:
Thanks. I was hoping that they would have some stipulation like that. So if I were continuing the JD program I started before 26 I should be able to continue it for all three years and keep the GI benefits that I started with. Where did you find that info? I've been searching for it but to no avail.
Check out the asked questions section of the GI bill website. It usually takes a lot of digging but you can find questions similar to yours after a while. I should mention that they say they don't discontinue benefits when you are currently enrolled and continue to be enrolled, BUT they don't say that specifically applies to age limitations for dependents. I would suggest emailing or writing them and saving their answer for the future in case you get conflicting information.

Needajob1

New

Post by Needajob1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:33 pm

FYI: If a service member has 100% benefits and transfers benefits to dependent, the dependents are able to use the yellow ribbon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paul554

New

Post by paul554 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:06 am

Needajob1 wrote:FYI: If a service member has 100% benefits and transfers benefits to dependent, the dependents are able to use the yellow ribbon.
You are correct. It's just spouses and members still on active duty who don't qualify. My bad.

voytek

Bronze

Post by voytek » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:55 pm

Needajob1 wrote:FYI: If a service member has 100% benefits and transfers benefits to dependent, the dependents are able to use the yellow ribbon.
+1

Thanks for the info.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:19 am

I just fell off my chair twice...

A 2L at my school told me I am entitled to an extra couple of hundred bucks a month because I paid into the 'kicker' in 2004-2005. I am a 3L and I thought that the kicker was just basically eliminated in 2006 when they increased the GI Bill. My friend and I were talking and he swears he is getting more than me for housing because of the kicker because he filled out some paperwork to claim the kicker. Is this true? I thought I took the VA for every penny. Have I left something on the table that other vets can somehow take? What is the deal for those of us who paid the 'kicker' ten years ago or so?

paul554

New

Post by paul554 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:36 am

MURPH wrote:I just fell off my chair twice...

A 2L at my school told me I am entitled to an extra couple of hundred bucks a month because I paid into the 'kicker' in 2004-2005. I am a 3L and I thought that the kicker was just basically eliminated in 2006 when they increased the GI Bill. My friend and I were talking and he swears he is getting more than me for housing because of the kicker because he filled out some paperwork to claim the kicker. Is this true? I thought I took the VA for every penny. Have I left something on the table that other vets can somehow take? What is the deal for those of us who paid the 'kicker' ten years ago or so?
I believe your friend is talking about the army college fund (or xxxx service college fund) and not the $600 buy up kicker. The buy up was only good for the Montgomery gi bill but the college fund will add a few hundred to your BAH. The college fund paperwork is in you DD4 packet DA form 3286-66 for the army.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tier2Allstar

New

Post by Tier2Allstar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:27 am

Anyone know what happens when your benefits run-out mid semester? Is it pro-rated or do they just pick up the check for the whole period?

paul554

New

Post by paul554 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:24 am

Tier2Allstar wrote:Anyone know what happens when your benefits run-out mid semester? Is it pro-rated or do they just pick up the check for the whole period?
Their supposed to pay through til the end of the semester, including BAH. It's on their FAQ page if they try to give you the run around.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:00 pm

paul554 wrote:
Tier2Allstar wrote:Anyone know what happens when your benefits run-out mid semester? Is it pro-rated or do they just pick up the check for the whole period?
Their supposed to pay through til the end of the semester, including BAH. It's on their FAQ page if they try to give you the run around.
Can you link this? I don't see it on the site anywhere, but this would be very relevant to me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”