In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
rice4change

New

In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents

Post by rice4change » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:32 am

As a resident of Washington DC, does anybody know what schools offer in state tuition? I've heard rumors that all Virginia and Maryland schools do so, but am not sure where to verify this

awesomepossum

Silver

Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:39 am

rice4change

New

Post by rice4change » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:51 am

Great... so do DC residents have any in-state tuition options other than UDC?

Lizface killah

Bronze

Post by Lizface killah » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:53 am

And taxation without representation and you get called for jury duty all of the time. Move to Arlington.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:49 am

rice4change wrote:As a resident of Washington DC, does anybody know what schools offer in state tuition? I've heard rumors that all Virginia and Maryland schools do so, but am not sure where to verify this
No, unfortunately not. Oklahoma considered me a resident when I applied, but I'm really a DC resident.

I don't feel too sorry for us, because we get in-state tuition at any undergrad (via the DC Tuition Assistance Grant) in the country.
Lizface killah wrote:And taxation without representation and you get called for jury duty all of the time. Move to Arlington.
Arlington is hell. I would never live there.

scaredstiff165

New

Post by scaredstiff165 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:58 am

Last edited by scaredstiff165 on Fri May 01, 2009 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

JackieTreehorn

New

Post by JackieTreehorn » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:10 am

Move to Arlington if you want to go to Mason. In-state tuition there is crazy cheap. UVA, not so much (only 5k cheaper per year).

carrowd3

New

Post by carrowd3 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:11 am

Sorry for the tangent and I'm sure there is a thread on this but...what does a 1 bd/ 1 bath + Utilities cost in Arlington?...I've looked on apts.com and it seems like $1200, or so which I thought was pretty expensive. Does this number sound correct? In comparison, I pay $800 with utilities included in Pburgh

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:16 am

Correct, no DC TAG money for graduate students.

D.C. Code 38-2702(c)(2)(F) (eligible student must not have completed an undergraduate baccalaureate course of study).

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:17 am

carrowd3 wrote:Sorry for the tangent and I'm sure there is a thread on this but...what does a 1 bd/ 1 bath + Utilities cost in Arlington?...I've looked on apts.com and it seems like $1200, or so which I thought was pretty expensive. Does this number sound correct? In comparison, I pay $800 with utilities included in Pburgh
That's a fair price.

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:34 am

scaredstiff165 wrote:I love Arlington! It's the best of both worlds (close enough to the District, but quieter with a more suburban feel) and my apartment is HUGE for what I'm paying.\

Not to mention you'd get in state tuition anywhere in VA!
If I wanted that, I'd have never left Oklahoma. If I did want a quieter life, there are plenty of quiet(ish) places in the District, and I avoid Virginia's stupid car tax. I'm sure that tax makes up for the lower income tax rates.

Besides, the "in-state" discount at UVA isn't all that much.

marburger06

New

Post by marburger06 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:49 am

carrowd3 wrote:Sorry for the tangent and I'm sure there is a thread on this but...what does a 1 bd/ 1 bath + Utilities cost in Arlington?...I've looked on apts.com and it seems like $1200, or so which I thought was pretty expensive. Does this number sound correct? In comparison, I pay $800 with utilities included in Pburgh
$1200 probably would get you a studio, not a 1/bd (and really that is still a very reasonable price for DC). $800 w/ utilities is pretty much unheard of unless you are living in someplace where you would need to invest in bullet-proof windows.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

carrowd3

New

Post by carrowd3 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:52 am

Thanks.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:00 am

How is Arlington terrible compared to a city that had the highest murder rate in the nation? :roll:

I'm in Alexandria, paying 750 w/ utilities included. Why anyone would want to live in DC is beyond me...expensive, boring, and dangerous. Oh, and you have to walk everywhere because the entire city is inept. Not to mention the food sucks, it's unbearably hot in the summer, it's kinda cold in the winter but doesn't snow (pointless), everywhere you go, you run into these people who think they are important because they work for XYZ in Congress...

And the kicker? If you're inbetween college and law school, all you had to do was move 10 minutes in either direction and you'd have preferential treatment at a number of schools.

I think that sums it up pretty well.

scaredstiff165

New

Post by scaredstiff165 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:09 am

Last edited by scaredstiff165 on Fri May 01, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:19 am

Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

carrowd3

New

Post by carrowd3 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:22 am

Lxw wrote:
scaredstiff165 wrote:::EDIT:: One more thing! A lot of places all over (DC/MD/NoVa) determine rent based on your yearly income. For example, if you make under $40,000 a year, I believe they legally can't charge you more than x amount for rent. If you make over, you have to pay the higher amount. This is only at specific properties though!
Not to mention leasing offices can ding you for making too much. Yes, I had this happen to me.
What! I thought rent control was mostly dead...

scaredstiff165

New

Post by scaredstiff165 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:23 am

Last edited by scaredstiff165 on Fri May 01, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:24 am

To address the main topic, it's a flat out lie that you get in-state tuition anywhere at all if you live in DC.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:32 am

scaredstiff165 wrote:Yikes :shock: ! Luckily, I was on the lower end of salaries when leasing. Yay for working for the government :roll: !
Coincidentally, I also work for the government. :P My mom overheard the conversation when the leasing officer dinged me, and she was 100% scandalized. Interestingly enough, a lot of places will give you reduced rent, or waive security deposits if you show them you work for the government.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:52 am

nitsudrx wrote:To address the main topic, it's a flat out lie that you get in-state tuition anywhere at all if you live in DC.
Not for law school. Yes. We covered this. But for undergrad, we do. It's not that the state/institution gives the money, but Congress appropriates funds for it.
DC Gov't Website wrote:District residents may use DC TAG to at attend any one of the more than 2,500 public colleges and universities in the nation. The award is paid directly to the institution and is equal to the difference between the in-state and the out-of-state tuition (up to $10,000 per year).
How is Arlington terrible compared to a city that had the highest murder rate in the nation?
Please, if you're not A) selling drugs, B) in a gang, or C) a convenience store/liquor store/chinese food worker in Southeast DC you're not going to get murdered.
I'm in Alexandria, paying 750 w/ utilities included. Why anyone would want to live in DC is beyond me...expensive, boring, and dangerous.
The person from Alexandria just called DC boring? What do you do, hang out at the Target on Route 1?

Besides, I pay $1175 for a one bedroom plus den with all utilities included half a block from Metro. The neighborhood is slightly transitional, but my wife and I can walk to Adams Morgan and Columbia Heights if we want to.
Oh, and you have to walk everywhere because the entire city is inept.
I drive to work every day... and I drive all over the city... plus America needs to walk a ton more than it does.
Not to mention the food sucks, it's unbearably hot in the summer, it's kinda cold in the winter but doesn't snow (pointless), everywhere you go, you run into these people who think they are important because they work for XYZ in Congress...
So in Alexandria, all of ten minutes away, the food is better, it's cooler in summer, warmer in winter, and people are less self-important? The entire Republican side of the Hill lives in Arlington/Alexandria. Plus the whole Heritage Foundation staff.
And the kicker? If you're inbetween college and law school, all you had to do was move 10 minutes in either direction and you'd have preferential treatment at a number of schools.
Plus a heck of a car tax, in Virginia at least. I'm not nearly so much of a Maryland hater.

Whoohoo, University of Maryland. UVA is fine, but I'm not willing to move to Virginia for a slight tuition discount and an admissions bump. Besides, it felt like a fifth year of college when I visited -- I'm definitely not headed for Virginia law.

Wow, we're really off-topic.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:06 pm

ndnlawdc wrote:Please, if you're not A) selling drugs, B) in a gang, or C) a convenience store/liquor store/chinese food worker in Southeast DC you're not going to get murdered.
So people don't get shot near Adams Morgan? This was on the news like last week, for crying out loud.
The person from Alexandria just called DC boring? What do you do, hang out at the Target on Route 1?
For my purposes, Alexandria may as well be DC. It's close enough, and the public transportation lines cross through. And I'm not from Alexandria. I'm from Boston.
I drive to work every day... and I drive all over the city... plus America needs to walk a ton more than it does.
Good argument... :roll:
So in Alexandria, all of ten minutes away, the food is better, it's cooler in summer, warmer in winter, and people are less self-important? The entire Republican side of the Hill lives in Arlington/Alexandria. Plus the whole Heritage Foundation staff.
Nope. Like I said before, Alexandria may as well be DC. It was part of the original district, and all that jazz.
Plus a heck of a car tax, in Virginia at least. I'm not nearly so much of a Maryland hater.
I don't have a car. And I hate the drivers in this area in general. Maryland drivers especially, because they don't seem to understand the concept of a 'fast-lane' and are content to go 50mph in the left-most lane on a two lane highway.
Whoohoo, University of Maryland. UVA is fine, but I'm not willing to move to Virginia for a slight tuition discount and an admissions bump. Besides, it felt like a fifth year of college when I visited -- I'm definitely not headed for Virginia law. Wow, we're really off-topic.
See, the only difference between DC and NoVa as I see it is the slight tuition discount and admissions bump. So you might as well if you were going to.

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:22 pm

Lxw wrote:So people don't get shot near Adams Morgan? This was on the news like last week, for crying out loud.
I don't remember a specific case, but yeah. If you're drunk and alone at 2 AM, don't wander into a dark alley. Add that to my earlier list. People get shot in Alexandria too -- http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... eheadlines
For my purposes, Alexandria may as well be DC. It's close enough, and the public transportation lines cross through. And I'm not from Alexandria. I'm from Boston.
Geez, you could say the same thing about Vienna, or Gaithersburg, or New Carrollton.
Good argument... :roll:
What was yours? "You have to walk everywhere because the entire city is inept." Did that also apply to Alexandria? What does it matter, since you don't have a car? What was your point again? Mine is that DC is perfectly drivable.
I don't have a car. And I hate the drivers in this area in general. Maryland drivers especially, because they don't seem to understand the concept of a 'fast-lane' and are content to go 50mph in the left-most lane on a two lane highway.
Maybe they just go 50mph everywhere, because they zoom down Georgia Avenue like it's going out of style. Or try to run me over on my bike on Beach Drive.
See, the only difference between DC and NoVa as I see it is the slight tuition discount and admissions bump. So you might as well if you were going to.
Meh. Again, I'm not planning on going to law school in Virginia, so it doesn't really matter. Most folks would disagree strongly with your "NoVa and DC are the same thing" assessment, and fall strongly on one side or the other.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”