Top-Law-Schools.comTLS
Home
Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums
 
Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:42 pm
Posts: 3
As a resident of Washington DC, does anybody know what schools offer in state tuition? I've heard rumors that all Virginia and Maryland schools do so, but am not sure where to verify this


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am
Posts: 6532
UVA doesn't.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospectives/va.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am
Posts: 6532
Nor does the U of Maryland.

http://www.usmd.edu/regents/bylaws/SectionVIII/VIII270.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:42 pm
Posts: 3
Great... so do DC residents have any in-state tuition options other than UDC?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:28 pm
Posts: 5551
And taxation without representation and you get called for jury duty all of the time. Move to Arlington.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:09 pm
Posts: 482
rice4change wrote:
As a resident of Washington DC, does anybody know what schools offer in state tuition? I've heard rumors that all Virginia and Maryland schools do so, but am not sure where to verify this


No, unfortunately not. Oklahoma considered me a resident when I applied, but I'm really a DC resident.

I don't feel too sorry for us, because we get in-state tuition at any undergrad (via the DC Tuition Assistance Grant) in the country.

Lizface killah wrote:
And taxation without representation and you get called for jury duty all of the time. Move to Arlington.


Arlington is hell. I would never live there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:08 pm
Posts: 1649
.


Last edited by scaredstiff165 on Fri May 01, 2009 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:31 am
Posts: 344
Move to Arlington if you want to go to Mason. In-state tuition there is crazy cheap. UVA, not so much (only 5k cheaper per year).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:35 am
Posts: 288
Sorry for the tangent and I'm sure there is a thread on this but...what does a 1 bd/ 1 bath + Utilities cost in Arlington?...I've looked on apts.com and it seems like $1200, or so which I thought was pretty expensive. Does this number sound correct? In comparison, I pay $800 with utilities included in Pburgh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm
Posts: 2049
Location: Texas
Correct, no DC TAG money for graduate students.

D.C. Code 38-2702(c)(2)(F) (eligible student must not have completed an undergraduate baccalaureate course of study).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm
Posts: 2049
Location: Texas
carrowd3 wrote:
Sorry for the tangent and I'm sure there is a thread on this but...what does a 1 bd/ 1 bath + Utilities cost in Arlington?...I've looked on apts.com and it seems like $1200, or so which I thought was pretty expensive. Does this number sound correct? In comparison, I pay $800 with utilities included in Pburgh

That's a fair price.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:09 pm
Posts: 482
scaredstiff165 wrote:
I love Arlington! It's the best of both worlds (close enough to the District, but quieter with a more suburban feel) and my apartment is HUGE for what I'm paying.\

Not to mention you'd get in state tuition anywhere in VA!


If I wanted that, I'd have never left Oklahoma. If I did want a quieter life, there are plenty of quiet(ish) places in the District, and I avoid Virginia's stupid car tax. I'm sure that tax makes up for the lower income tax rates.

Besides, the "in-state" discount at UVA isn't all that much.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:42 pm
Posts: 210
carrowd3 wrote:
Sorry for the tangent and I'm sure there is a thread on this but...what does a 1 bd/ 1 bath + Utilities cost in Arlington?...I've looked on apts.com and it seems like $1200, or so which I thought was pretty expensive. Does this number sound correct? In comparison, I pay $800 with utilities included in Pburgh


$1200 probably would get you a studio, not a 1/bd (and really that is still a very reasonable price for DC). $800 w/ utilities is pretty much unheard of unless you are living in someplace where you would need to invest in bullet-proof windows.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:35 am
Posts: 288
Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm
Posts: 7469
How is Arlington terrible compared to a city that had the highest murder rate in the nation? :roll:

I'm in Alexandria, paying 750 w/ utilities included. Why anyone would want to live in DC is beyond me...expensive, boring, and dangerous. Oh, and you have to walk everywhere because the entire city is inept. Not to mention the food sucks, it's unbearably hot in the summer, it's kinda cold in the winter but doesn't snow (pointless), everywhere you go, you run into these people who think they are important because they work for XYZ in Congress...

And the kicker? If you're inbetween college and law school, all you had to do was move 10 minutes in either direction and you'd have preferential treatment at a number of schools.

I think that sums it up pretty well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:08 pm
Posts: 1649
.


Last edited by scaredstiff165 on Fri May 01, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm
Posts: 7469
.


Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:35 am
Posts: 288
Lxw wrote:
scaredstiff165 wrote:
::EDIT:: One more thing! A lot of places all over (DC/MD/NoVa) determine rent based on your yearly income. For example, if you make under $40,000 a year, I believe they legally can't charge you more than x amount for rent. If you make over, you have to pay the higher amount. This is only at specific properties though!

Not to mention leasing offices can ding you for making too much. Yes, I had this happen to me.


What! I thought rent control was mostly dead...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:08 pm
Posts: 1649
.


Last edited by scaredstiff165 on Fri May 01, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am
Posts: 4473
To address the main topic, it's a flat out lie that you get in-state tuition anywhere at all if you live in DC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm
Posts: 7469
scaredstiff165 wrote:
Yikes :shock: ! Luckily, I was on the lower end of salaries when leasing. Yay for working for the government :roll: !

Coincidentally, I also work for the government. :P My mom overheard the conversation when the leasing officer dinged me, and she was 100% scandalized. Interestingly enough, a lot of places will give you reduced rent, or waive security deposits if you show them you work for the government.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:09 pm
Posts: 482
nitsudrx wrote:
To address the main topic, it's a flat out lie that you get in-state tuition anywhere at all if you live in DC.


Not for law school. Yes. We covered this. But for undergrad, we do. It's not that the state/institution gives the money, but Congress appropriates funds for it.

DC Gov't Website wrote:
District residents may use DC TAG to at attend any one of the more than 2,500 public colleges and universities in the nation. The award is paid directly to the institution and is equal to the difference between the in-state and the out-of-state tuition (up to $10,000 per year).


Quote:
How is Arlington terrible compared to a city that had the highest murder rate in the nation?


Please, if you're not A) selling drugs, B) in a gang, or C) a convenience store/liquor store/chinese food worker in Southeast DC you're not going to get murdered.

Quote:
I'm in Alexandria, paying 750 w/ utilities included. Why anyone would want to live in DC is beyond me...expensive, boring, and dangerous.


The person from Alexandria just called DC boring? What do you do, hang out at the Target on Route 1?

Besides, I pay $1175 for a one bedroom plus den with all utilities included half a block from Metro. The neighborhood is slightly transitional, but my wife and I can walk to Adams Morgan and Columbia Heights if we want to.

Quote:
Oh, and you have to walk everywhere because the entire city is inept.


I drive to work every day... and I drive all over the city... plus America needs to walk a ton more than it does.

Quote:
Not to mention the food sucks, it's unbearably hot in the summer, it's kinda cold in the winter but doesn't snow (pointless), everywhere you go, you run into these people who think they are important because they work for XYZ in Congress...


So in Alexandria, all of ten minutes away, the food is better, it's cooler in summer, warmer in winter, and people are less self-important? The entire Republican side of the Hill lives in Arlington/Alexandria. Plus the whole Heritage Foundation staff.

Quote:
And the kicker? If you're inbetween college and law school, all you had to do was move 10 minutes in either direction and you'd have preferential treatment at a number of schools.


Plus a heck of a car tax, in Virginia at least. I'm not nearly so much of a Maryland hater.

Whoohoo, University of Maryland. UVA is fine, but I'm not willing to move to Virginia for a slight tuition discount and an admissions bump. Besides, it felt like a fifth year of college when I visited -- I'm definitely not headed for Virginia law.

Wow, we're really off-topic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm
Posts: 7469
ndnlawdc wrote:
Please, if you're not A) selling drugs, B) in a gang, or C) a convenience store/liquor store/chinese food worker in Southeast DC you're not going to get murdered.

So people don't get shot near Adams Morgan? This was on the news like last week, for crying out loud.

Quote:
The person from Alexandria just called DC boring? What do you do, hang out at the Target on Route 1?

For my purposes, Alexandria may as well be DC. It's close enough, and the public transportation lines cross through. And I'm not from Alexandria. I'm from Boston.

Quote:
I drive to work every day... and I drive all over the city... plus America needs to walk a ton more than it does.

Good argument... :roll:

Quote:
So in Alexandria, all of ten minutes away, the food is better, it's cooler in summer, warmer in winter, and people are less self-important? The entire Republican side of the Hill lives in Arlington/Alexandria. Plus the whole Heritage Foundation staff.

Nope. Like I said before, Alexandria may as well be DC. It was part of the original district, and all that jazz.

Quote:
Plus a heck of a car tax, in Virginia at least. I'm not nearly so much of a Maryland hater.

I don't have a car. And I hate the drivers in this area in general. Maryland drivers especially, because they don't seem to understand the concept of a 'fast-lane' and are content to go 50mph in the left-most lane on a two lane highway.

Quote:
Whoohoo, University of Maryland. UVA is fine, but I'm not willing to move to Virginia for a slight tuition discount and an admissions bump. Besides, it felt like a fifth year of college when I visited -- I'm definitely not headed for Virginia law. Wow, we're really off-topic.

See, the only difference between DC and NoVa as I see it is the slight tuition discount and admissions bump. So you might as well if you were going to.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In-State Tuition For Washington DC Residents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:09 pm
Posts: 482
Lxw wrote:
So people don't get shot near Adams Morgan? This was on the news like last week, for crying out loud.


I don't remember a specific case, but yeah. If you're drunk and alone at 2 AM, don't wander into a dark alley. Add that to my earlier list. People get shot in Alexandria too -- http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... eheadlines

Quote:
For my purposes, Alexandria may as well be DC. It's close enough, and the public transportation lines cross through. And I'm not from Alexandria. I'm from Boston.


Geez, you could say the same thing about Vienna, or Gaithersburg, or New Carrollton.

Quote:
Good argument... :roll:


What was yours? "You have to walk everywhere because the entire city is inept." Did that also apply to Alexandria? What does it matter, since you don't have a car? What was your point again? Mine is that DC is perfectly drivable.

Quote:
I don't have a car. And I hate the drivers in this area in general. Maryland drivers especially, because they don't seem to understand the concept of a 'fast-lane' and are content to go 50mph in the left-most lane on a two lane highway.


Maybe they just go 50mph everywhere, because they zoom down Georgia Avenue like it's going out of style. Or try to run me over on my bike on Beach Drive.

Quote:
See, the only difference between DC and NoVa as I see it is the slight tuition discount and admissions bump. So you might as well if you were going to.


Meh. Again, I'm not planning on going to law school in Virginia, so it doesn't really matter. Most folks would disagree strongly with your "NoVa and DC are the same thing" assessment, and fall strongly on one side or the other.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
Login     TLS home     TLS forums     TLS wiki     Terms of Service     Privacy Policy     Copyright Policy     Contact     powered by phpBB