HELP - Schools to use when negotiating aid with NYU

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
azachrich

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:02 pm

HELP - Schools to use when negotiating aid with NYU

Postby azachrich » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:06 pm

I received 75k from NYU, and I adore the school, but it's extremely expensive. I received 180k from Northwestern, 60k from Berkeley, 120k from Cornell, and I'm still waiting to hear back from Duke, but I feel as though I did really well in the financial aid interview.
I heard back from NYU about my acceptance in mid-December.
Can I use these schools to negotiate with NYU? They are my clear first choice and I would love to go there, but I'm not sure if I can afford it. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 2453
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: HELP - Schools to use when negotiating aid with NYU

Postby QContinuum » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:20 am

Absolutely. I wouldn't use the $60k Berkeley offer, which is worse than NYU's offer (unsurprising, as Berkeley is legendarily stingy on merit aid). But you can certainly cite Northwestern's $180k offer and Cornell's $120k offer. Absolutely try to negotiate - can't hurt you. Worst case scenario, go to Northwestern - NYU is not worth an extra $105k over NW (and in fact the discrepancy only widens once you factor in NYC's higher COL relative to Chicago).

Wubbles

Bronze
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:55 pm

Re: HELP - Schools to use when negotiating aid with NYU

Postby Wubbles » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:32 am

Hell, just go to Northwestern and call it a day

The Lsat Airbender

Bronze
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:34 pm

Re: HELP - Schools to use when negotiating aid with NYU

Postby The Lsat Airbender » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Wubbles wrote:Hell, just go to Northwestern and call it a day


Yeah, NYU isn’t even strictly better if they match (which they won’t) because of the CoL gap. Worth a shot though since that would be pretty close.

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 2453
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: HELP - Schools to use when negotiating aid with NYU

Postby QContinuum » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:27 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Wubbles wrote:Hell, just go to Northwestern and call it a day


Yeah, NYU isn’t even strictly better if they match (which they won’t) because of the CoL gap. Worth a shot though since that would be pretty close.

IMO, NYU is worth more money than NW. I just don't think it's worth anywhere near $105k+ over NW.

The Lsat Airbender

Bronze
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:34 pm

Re: HELP - Schools to use when negotiating aid with NYU

Postby The Lsat Airbender » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:34 am

QContinuum wrote:
The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Wubbles wrote:Hell, just go to Northwestern and call it a day


Yeah, NYU isn’t even strictly better if they match (which they won’t) because of the CoL gap. Worth a shot though since that would be pretty close.

IMO, NYU is worth more money than NW. I just don't think it's worth anywhere near $105k+ over NW.


Oh, for sure, but even with an equal scholarship NYU is like $20-30k more expensive. I'd probably take NYU at that marginal cost but it's already getting close.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's going to be hard for any of these schools to make an offer that's competitive with Northwestern's. OP should definitely give it a go, and I'm rooting for them, but Northwestern is probably going to end up the best choice here (congrats, by the way, on such great choices!)



Return to “Financial Aid?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests