Waiting for Northwestern's aid offer Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
The Agitator

Bronze

Re: Waiting for Northwestern's aid offer

Post by The Agitator » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:19 am

New development. Just got a $75k scholarship. I was almost signed, sealed and delivered to UVA for $54k, but now I have to stop and really think this out....D*mn! Thoughts anyone?
I got the 75K from NU and turned it down for 36K at UVA. I was doing the COL and Tuition calculations over three years, and in the end that extra 39K from Northwestern turned out to be only worth about 14K more in real money when the adjustments were made. For me, I was willing to spend 14K more for UVA, because I thought it was a better fit. And I hate the cold.

So, I think you are basically looking at the same debt load coming out of UVA over NU, which is what you really want to think about.

Betsy1

New

Post by Betsy1 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:45 am

70k/year in loans? OK, I know I'm far from their best applicant, but c'mon - I should get some need-based.

brillig

New

Post by brillig » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:40 am

The wait has been horrible, but I got mine yesterday too...[edited for excessive whining]...I had given up on the waiting on Tuesday, and spent the day convincing myself it would be okay to go to my second choice with money...now I'm just confused.
Last edited by brillig on Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

melbelle

New

Post by melbelle » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:44 pm

ALilMusicFactry wrote: Remember though - UVA is actually about $30k cheaper over three years, so it will save you about $10k. I would not make a choice on the basis of saving or losing $10k. On the other hand, you couldn't pay me to live in Charlottesville. Go to whichever place you fit best.
Thanks! :) You're right, UVA is still cheaper. But, not cheap enough to be a deal breaker.

As for fit, I really don't know. I didn't go to any of the Northwestern Admitted Students sessions. I had already made plans to go to the Michigan ASW and frankly refused to consider any school where I had to pay full sticker. So, I'm going to peak my head in at Northwestern next week and see if I can speak to some folks. Will anyone be able to talk? Isn't it reading week?

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:27 pm

Is it reading week already? I thought there was one more week of classes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ALilMusicFactry

New

Post by ALilMusicFactry » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:35 am

Nope - Monday was the last day of classes. Exams start this coming Monday. You might be able to catch people after the first exam is over around noon (we usually go for brunch and/or drinks). PM me if you will be around and I'd be happy to let you know about any get-togethers.

ALilMusicFactry

New

Post by ALilMusicFactry » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:37 am

I had given up on the waiting on Tuesday, and spent the day convincing myself it would be okay to go to my second choice with money. When I got my NU offer Wednesday, it was whelming. Now I'm just confused.
What are your other options?

melbelle

New

Post by melbelle » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:53 am

Ok. I'm headed off to NU at 1pm today to talk to some folks in career services and the admissions office. Hopefully I'll run into some students. :D

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:54 am

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

frankjones

New

Post by frankjones » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:37 pm

aguyingeorgia wrote:Good luck.
Anyone have any idea how Northwestern's financial aid packages typically compare to Duke's?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”