509 question Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Eggs

New

509 question

Post by Eggs » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:05 pm

In browsing through some schools 509s, their scholarship numbers seem to be outrageous. For example, the report I saw shows Nebraska gives 43% of its students either full tuition or "more than full tuition". Arizona was at 38% when combined the categories. Are these numbers right?

cavalier1138

Re: 509 question

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:21 pm

You're reading it correctly.

Bear in mind that you picked two state schools that have dramatically lower tuition rates for in-state students. So that helps explain why the 75th percentile of scholarship money is significantly lower than full out-of-state tuition for both schools.

But in general, a lot of regional schools need to offer significant scholarships to seduce students away from better schools. That's why everyone who comes here asking about going to [insert regional school here] for sticker is told to retake the LSAT until they have a full ride, even if the regional school fits that poster's stated career goals.

Eggs

New

Post by Eggs » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:33 pm

Would you read anything into Arizona's number being at 38% and ASU's being at 12%? They seem to place about the same. Maybe it's because UA's out of state tuition is like 15K lower. Or more people are being drawn to ASU due to the convenience to Phoenix's market. It was just an interesting gap for me from two schools that are peers.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:57 am

I wouldn't read anything into it, because that starts to get into the minutiae of how schools allocate funding, which students are being drawn in, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”