Help Wanted - Canadian trying to fund US education Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Sparkles5

New

Help Wanted - Canadian trying to fund US education

Post by Sparkles5 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:57 pm

Hey,

As the title suggests I am a Canadian citizen who does not have a US co-signer. Based on my research I understand that I am not eligible for federal funding in either Canada or the US.

Does anyone have any advice for me?!
Are there any legit US lenders available where I do not need a US co-signer? I was only able to find one ( MPower Financing) which requires the applicant to be 2 years away from graduation; which i'm not.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thom

New

Re: Help Wanted - Canadian trying to fund US education

Post by Thom » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:53 pm

Do you plan to practice in Canada after graduation? If so, then wouldn't it be easier professionally speaking to just fo it all there ?

Thom

New

Post by Thom » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:55 pm

........Just realized the date on this. OP if you are still reading replies, did you figure out the funding issue? Any advice for people currently in the same shoes as you were back when you posted ?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:06 pm

I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that most non-U.S. citizens attending law school in the U.S. are self-funded/have a rich relative. Alternately, some countries (but not Canada, as I understand and as you seem to have confirmed) will provide financing/merit aid to their citizens. In any case, it helps to maximize LSAT to maximize merit aid (though cost of living will still be a factor generally).

carmtastic

New

Post by carmtastic » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:32 pm

I also believe certain banks are willing to loan up to x amount that is typically the cost of a similar degree in Canada. That being said, it's only really enough to pay for once year of tuition in the US.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:48 pm

carmtastic wrote:I also believe certain banks are willing to loan up to x amount that is typically the cost of a similar degree in Canada. That being said, it's only really enough to pay for once year of tuition in the US.
Apparently it is also possible to get loans from more than one bank. I have heard of Canadians getting two "max" loans from two different banks. Not sure if one could (or should...) go beyond two loans.

Critical to note that law school tuition in the U.S. is far, far more expensive than law school tuition in Canada.

L'orDuCommun

New

Post by L'orDuCommun » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:23 pm

QContinuum wrote:I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that most non-U.S. citizens attending law school in the U.S. are self-funded/have a rich relative.
You can borrow from private lenders as a non-citizen. For many--but not all--lenders, you need a co-signer who's a US citizen or permanent resident though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”