Declined scholarship negotiation Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Maryjdhopeful

New

Declined scholarship negotiation

Post by Maryjdhopeful » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:50 am

I am in at my top school (T14) and recently asked for a scholarship negotiation. They said they weren’t able to offer me more money. I didn’t have too much leverage- just slightly better scholarships at slightly worse schools. I was wondering if I should try to continue negotiating with more a more “soft factor” argument... ie I got a competitive internship for the summer between graduating UG in May and going to LS in the fall that wasn’t listed on my original app. Also if I get in off the waitlist at another T14 with $$, Can I reask them to consider a new scholarship offer? How should I go about emailing (or calling?) them after they already said no. Any insight is HELPFUL!!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Declined scholarship negotiation

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:11 am

Maryjdhopeful wrote:I am in at my top school (T14) and recently asked for a scholarship negotiation. They said they weren’t able to offer me more money. I didn’t have too much leverage- just slightly better scholarships at slightly worse schools. I was wondering if I should try to continue negotiating with more a more “soft factor” argument... ie I got a competitive internship for the summer between graduating UG in May and going to LS in the fall that wasn’t listed on my original app. Also if I get in off the waitlist at another T14 with $$, Can I reask them to consider a new scholarship offer? How should I go about emailing (or calling?) them after they already said no. Any insight is HELPFUL!!
Unfortunately, you do not have any negotiating leverage. Their response is exactly what I would expect given you have no leverage. The soft facto argument is going to objectively get laughed at and not help. Your best bet is to have a peer school that has offered more money than this school. That does not sound like your situation, so your chances of getting an increase is exactly 0%.

If the waitlisted school gives you more money than your current offer, then you can try again. But otherwise, it is a waste.

Further, it is the t13. Georgetown is not in that group anymore given their ranking slide last year and their putrid employment stats compared to the rest of the t13. Just for your info.

PatriotP74

Silver

Re: Declined scholarship negotiation

Post by PatriotP74 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:36 pm

Maryjdhopeful wrote:I am in at my top school (T14) and recently asked for a scholarship negotiation. They said they weren’t able to offer me more money. I didn’t have too much leverage- just slightly better scholarships at slightly worse schools. I was wondering if I should try to continue negotiating with more a more “soft factor” argument... ie I got a competitive internship for the summer between graduating UG in May and going to LS in the fall that wasn’t listed on my original app. Also if I get in off the waitlist at another T14 with $$, Can I reask them to consider a new scholarship offer? How should I go about emailing (or calling?) them after they already said no. Any insight is HELPFUL!!

I agree with what sparky said.While I don't have experience negotiating with T14/13 I did negotiate with schools I applied to(successfully). Without offers from better schools, you don't have much leverage. Everyone they accept is a top candidate. I would be surprised if an internship is enough to set you apart for more $. However, that being said, I also doubt it would hurt to shoot them an email. Just be courteous and let them know you received x internship and you wanted to let them know.

Return to “Financial Aid”