deleted Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
seanbodonovan

New

deleted

Post by seanbodonovan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:35 am

Last edited by seanbodonovan on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Borrowing for costs beyond "cost of attendance"

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:39 am

You can talk to your financial aid office about getting the cost of attendance adjusted based on your circumstances. I know people with kids who were able to get that amount increased based on having to support the kids.

Now to be fair, everyone I knew who did this was a single parent, so I don’t know how your spouse’s income factors in. And I don’t know what they do about a mortgage - you can’t get an increase for car payments, I know, but obviously you don’t need a car to live, so a house may be different.

seanbodonovan

New

Post by seanbodonovan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:52 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:You can talk to your financial aid office about getting the cost of attendance adjusted based on your circumstances. I know people with kids who were able to get that amount increased based on having to support the kids.

Now to be fair, everyone I knew who did this was a single parent, so I don’t know how your spouse’s income factors in. And I don’t know what they do about a mortgage - you can’t get an increase for car payments, I know, but obviously you don’t need a car to live, so a house may be different.

I contacted the school, and it seems that the only expense that they take into consideration involving kids is childcare expenses. My wife stays home with the kids, so this isn't an expense that we have. I think maybe the obvious solution is for my wife to just work more, but we prefer to have her at home while our kids are young, especially with me still basically having the hours of a full-time job as a 1L.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:57 am

Ah, I see. I guess the school figures it doesn’t have to pay to support that particular choice.

I’m afraid someone else will have to weigh in on loan options.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”