No contact with foreign parent - how to fill out forms? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Bronze

No contact with foreign parent - how to fill out forms?

Post by 38981928 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:25 pm

I'm struggling in particular with Duke's additional requirements with the CSS Profile. It's requiring all sorts of info, but I don't even know where my biological father lives beyond the country he's in.

I'm an American citizen because of my stepdad, but my stepdad never legally adopted me because of all the extra fees that would've incurred on top of all the immigration stuff (but he did qualify to adopt me - which would've expedited my citizenship - because I guess the US didn't recognize my dad anymore once I became a permanent resident, I think).

The other schools I've been accepted to either haven't published their financial aid apps yet or only require the FAFSA, so I really don't know what to do especially if the info on my biological dad will be required.

cavalier1138

Re: No contact with foreign parent - how to fill out forms?

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:52 pm

Have you tried contacting Duke to ask about this?

Bronze

Re: No contact with foreign parent - how to fill out forms?

Post by 38981928 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:18 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Have you tried contacting Duke to ask about this?
I called and got their voicemail (left a message) last week and no response yet, and I also emailed again to follow up but no response either. I'm sure they're dealing with a large # of applicants but I'm getting nervous because I can't submit the other aspects of my finaid app without the CSS Profile and I saw that there are no interview dates until next month now.

Return to “Financial Aid”