IBR Question/Advice Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Phreaxer

New

IBR Question/Advice

Post by Phreaxer » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:26 pm

I just finished school and have a very large balance in student loans. Not just from LS, but from a couple other degrees I previously obtained. I will be taking the bar next year and am currently not working. Because I have used my loan deferment in the past, my loans are due, starting now. It was brought to my attention that I need to request an IBR plan, but I didn't realize there were so many options.

Debt: about $400,000 (all private schools, fed loans though)
Payments: Not really clear yet
Income: Going to be none for the next few months, but should be close to 75k annually by the end of the year.
Plan: Where I need advice.
Important info: I'm single (long-term dating relationship, but unmarried). I have kids and child support to pay (which has been and will be maintained).

What IBR (or other deferment plan) would be best for these numbers?

Nebby

Diamond

Re: IBR Question/Advice

Post by Nebby » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:30 pm

PAYE or REPAYE (if not eligible for PAYE).

Phreaxer

New

Post by Phreaxer » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:36 pm

If I read it properly, I don't qualify for PAYE because I took loans out before 07. REPAYE isn't a bad option either given my situation and numbers though.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:54 pm

REPAYE it is!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:55 pm

Nebby wrote:REPAYE it is!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Respondeat_Inferior

New

Post by Respondeat_Inferior » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:17 pm

I know this is far down in the future but it's worth thinking about now because you can't very well just uproot yourself in 20 years: If you end up in a career path that doesn't have a reasonable chance of paying that off (and I'm sure you know that's a pretty high number), consider moving to a state like Washington that doesn't have state income tax.

No state income tax means the explosion is smaller when your tax bomb goes off at the point of loan forgiveness.

Phreaxer

New

Post by Phreaxer » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:30 pm

That's a very interesting factor to consider. Yeah, it is a long ways off, but it's good to have stuff like that in mind. Especially if, in my case, it might be a six-figure tax bomb.

Thanks for bringing it up.

btw, I submitted my application for REPAYE. Fingers crossed, hope it works

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”