How soon is too soon to ask for more money? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
JoeyBG37

New

How soon is too soon to ask for more money?

Post by JoeyBG37 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:34 pm

So I have some scholarship money from some schools that I would love to attend and a lot of money for some schools I wouldn't mind attending. I feel like I'm ready to start negotiation. I just received my latest offer this morning. How soon is too soon to ask that school for more money?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: How soon is too soon to ask for more money?

Post by UVA2B » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Wait until December scores come out. ADCOMS won't fully know what they're dealing with until that wave of applications come in. They are really unlikely to start adjusting discounts until they know substantially what the entire applicant pool is looking like.

Also, make sure you have a coherent negotiation strategy before you start. Don't just take bigger offers from lower schools to higher schools without putting some serious thought into how the school will see it.

The meat of negotiations will happen as deposit deadlines get closer, but you could see some movement earlier hypothetically. Just take each step carefully, because ADCOMs will do some negotiating, but you only get a few bites at the apple before you could get shut down. It's better to negotiate less frequently than to needle time and again with each new offer you think might be competitive for a tuition discount bump.

Return to “Financial Aid”