Basic Scholarship/Fin Aid Help Needed Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
njames1961

New

Basic Scholarship/Fin Aid Help Needed

Post by njames1961 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:42 pm

So far I've been accepted PT at Duke, and RD at Cornell and NYU. From the looks of it, no school has included any mention of merit-based scholarships in acceptance letters etc. Is my only option to apply for financial/ merit based aid in accordance with their timelines, see what I get, and then try to negotiate based on relative offers? It seems like by then (sometime in late winter/spring) most of the schools' funds will be used up? Sorry I'm just unfamiliar with the process of getting $ and need some basic guidance. Thanks!

cavalier1138

Re: Basic Scholarship/Fin Aid Help Needed

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:46 pm

Many schools are on a specific schedule for financial aid decisions and will not give you an immediate scholarship offer. I don't know about Cornell, but I know that NYU and Duke require a separate application process for scholarships. If I recall correctly, Duke actually has an interview process.

Just follow the merit scholarship directions for the schools (if they don't just automatically consider you). As long as you get everything in by each school's respective deadline, you're not going to miss out on a scholarship due to lack of funding.

Return to “Financial Aid”