What is Alabama like in negotiations? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
CADM1UM

New

What is Alabama like in negotiations?

Post by CADM1UM » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:00 am

Just wondering how generous Alabama is in negotiations. I've received roughly 28k per year with no conditions but have also received about 35-38k per year from schools like GWU and should receive a larger total scholarship at schools like Emory. Will Alabama look at a scholarship like that from GWU and maybe Emory favorably in negotiation?

I'm hoping to increase it at least 5 thousand per year. Is that realistic or do they tend to not budge much?

cavalier1138

Re: What is Alabama like in negotiations?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:50 am

I imagine Emory would carry more weight than GW, because of the regional proximity. But Alabama also has lower tuition than these schools, so what's your actual COA at all these options (and why are you even considering GW if you want to work in the Deep South)?

CADM1UM

New

Post by CADM1UM » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:13 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I imagine Emory would carry more weight than GW, because of the regional proximity. But Alabama also has lower tuition than these schools, so what's your actual COA at all these options (and why are you even considering GW if you want to work in the Deep South)?
I never said I wanted to only work in the deep south lol. I have connections in the south, mid atlantic, and west coast and would be happy in either of them.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:16 pm

CADM1UM wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I imagine Emory would carry more weight than GW, because of the regional proximity. But Alabama also has lower tuition than these schools, so what's your actual COA at all these options (and why are you even considering GW if you want to work in the Deep South)?
I never said I wanted to only work in the deep south lol. I have connections in the south, mid atlantic, and west coast and would be happy in either of them.
Ok, then that's probably the question you need to answer in making decisions, but that only answered the parenthetical. What's your actual COA (not scholarship offer) at these schools? Because $28k a year at Alabama might leave you with a lower COA than $35k a year at GW. And yes, that matters for negotiation, because adcomms can do basic math.

CADM1UM

New

Post by CADM1UM » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:34 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
CADM1UM wrote:
Ok, then that's probably the question you need to answer in making decisions, but that only answered the parenthetical. What's your actual COA (not scholarship offer) at these schools? Because $28k a year at Alabama might leave you with a lower COA than $35k a year at GW. And yes, that matters for negotiation, because adcomms can do basic math.
I'm not asking about particulars. I'm asking anyone who has experience with negotiating with Alabama what they're like. Are they generous? Willing to working with accepted students? Do they play hard ball?

If you know the answer from experience, cool. If not, then I don't really think you can help.

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:22 pm

CADM1UM wrote:I'm asking anyone who has experience with negotiating with Alabama what they're like. Are they generous? Willing to working with accepted students? Do they play hard ball?
Absent any reason to believe otherwise, it's safe to assume that they'll be polite and do their best to make Alabama an viable option for appealing candidates. Exactly how much they'll be willing to budge probably depends hugely on the applicant's qualifications, timing (i.e. how much scholarship money is left to dole out at a given point in the cycle), and what the school's institutional needs happen to be that year.

I'm sure you can find anecdotes that run the gamut. If you want useful information on how much scholarship money you can expect, their 590 Report is worth a peek along with LSN. It looks like a decent chunk of people are able to get big scholarships, which implies that there should be some fat left on the bone when you negotiate with them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”