A $160,000 email Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Hstrat

Bronze

A $160,000 email

Post by Hstrat » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:48 pm

I got offered a full ride by WUSTL yesterday, which is absolutely amazing. I've never been offered a scholarship before, so I'm a little lost on the particulars here. All I have from them right now is an email that says "full tuition." Am I going to get more information from them about this? Would I still pay a seat deposit if I decide to enroll there? I'm assuming this isn't a "pay tuition then get a check" situation?

I guess the main question is: Can I rely on this? Making six figure decisions based on a four paragraph email is setting off some alarm bells for me.

VirginiaFan

New

Re: A $160,000 email

Post by VirginiaFan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:50 pm

A few things
1) You can rely on the email. Look into the specifics, but typically these scholarships include tuition and fee increases as well.
2) You may still have to pay a seat deposit, which would then be refunded to you in the fall.
3) Depending on your numbers, I would push for a stipend. WashU has been known to offer full tuition plus 15k stipends, so there's definitely room to negotiated.

Congrats!

sweets91

Silver

Post by sweets91 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:51 pm

Hstrat wrote:I got offered a full ride by WUSTL yesterday, which is absolutely amazing. I've never been offered a scholarship before, so I'm a little lost on the particulars here. All I have from them right now is an email that says "full tuition." Am I going to get more information from them about this? Would I still pay a seat deposit if I decide to enroll there? I'm assuming this isn't a "pay tuition then get a check" situation?

I guess the main question is: Can I rely on this? Making six figure decisions based on a four paragraph email is setting off some alarm bells for me.
every semester, you only need to pay like student bar fees and other small fees - the scholarship covers everything else (ie, you just don't pay tuition)

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:02 pm

Congrats! I got the same deal in a similar situation a few years back thanks to a series of emails. Trust me, it's a tremendous burden off your shoulders. No matter how bad law school gets, at least you will not be drowning in debt. It gives you options later on too if you wanted to pursue a lower paying job, clerkship, another degree, walk on law altogether, etc.

Find out if the school gives out any need based aid. I got my full ride + need based aid which pretty much paid for my rent + books. As someone stated earlier, definitely pursue a stipend. It would help your case if you got offers (which you probably did) at higher ranking schools.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:12 pm

I just saw your numbers in another thread. First off, you shouldn't be surprised by the offer. You had a 100% chance at it. Congrats nonetheless though. Secondly, I hope you applied broadly and didn't sell yourself short because of your gpa. You have an amazing LSAT and should clean up in the t13

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hstrat

Bronze

Post by Hstrat » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:35 pm

chargers21 wrote:I just saw your numbers in another thread. First off, you shouldn't be surprised by the offer. You had a 100% chance at it. Congrats nonetheless though. Secondly, I hope you applied broadly and didn't sell yourself short because of your gpa. You have an amazing LSAT and should clean up in the t13
Thanks! I guess I didn't do my research on WUSTL scholarships. I applied pretty broadly - I stopped short of Yale and Stanford, but I shot an app to Harvard. Realistically, a half-ride at UVA seems like my most likely outcome, but we'll see what happens.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:54 pm

Hstrat wrote:
chargers21 wrote:I just saw your numbers in another thread. First off, you shouldn't be surprised by the offer. You had a 100% chance at it. Congrats nonetheless though. Secondly, I hope you applied broadly and didn't sell yourself short because of your gpa. You have an amazing LSAT and should clean up in the t13
Thanks! I guess I didn't do my research on WUSTL scholarships. I applied pretty broadly - I stopped short of Yale and Stanford, but I shot an app to Harvard. Realistically, a half-ride at UVA seems like my most likely outcome, but we'll see what happens.
That LSAT is going to get you multiple T-13 full rides. I would bet large sums of money on it. Your GPA isn't low enough to be a real problem.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

AuroraUsa

New

Post by AuroraUsa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:05 pm

Hstrat wrote:I got offered a full ride by WUSTL yesterday, which is absolutely amazing. I've never been offered a scholarship before, so I'm a little lost on the particulars here. All I have from them right now is an email that says "full tuition." Am I going to get more information from them about this? Would I still pay a seat deposit if I decide to enroll there? I'm assuming this isn't a "pay tuition then get a check" situation?

What a lucker!
My congritulations :D

Hstrat

Bronze

Post by Hstrat » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:55 pm

AuroraUsa wrote:

What a lucker!
My congritulations :D
Thanks! I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, and trying to keep realistic expectations for the rest of my cycle

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”