Necessary to apply to HYS? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Necessary to apply to HYS?

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:30 am

Hello there,
I'm getting ready to submit my apps in the next month, and received fee waivers from everywhere but HYSB (grrrr Berkeley...). My game plan is to apply to the T13 minus Cornell (no chance of going there), but those extra few hundred dollars for HYS really hurt. I also know that I'm not going to go to one of them anyway, because I'm 100% going to follow the $$$ within the T13. My question is, would an acceptance at one of these schools, most probably Harvard, provide any negotiation power lower in the T13? Would Michigan or NYU up their offer if I tell them I'm in at Harvard? If not, I'll take that $300 and use it on something I tangibly need.
GPA: 3.75+
LSAT:175+

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Necessary to apply to HYS?

Post by UVA2B » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:32 am

Yes, an acceptance at Harvard will be a really good negotiation chip at schools below them. It’ll be worth it to apply to all of HYS to maximize your potential leverage. (This was a refreshing new angle in debating applications to HYS)

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:07 am

UVA2B wrote:Yes, an acceptance at Harvard will be a really good negotiation chip at schools below them. It’ll be worth it to apply to all of HYS to maximize your potential leverage. (This was a refreshing new angle in debating applications to HYS)
This.

Longtimecoming19

Bronze

Post by Longtimecoming19 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:27 am

This is my understanding too. I really feel you on shelling out that $300 right now, but a single acceptance at an HYS will probably get you a lot more money back over the next few years.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:41 pm

OK thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:30 pm

Also, because of need-based aid, you may get money from them, depending on your financial situation.

Cogburn1984

New

Post by Cogburn1984 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:05 pm

UVA2B wrote:Yes, an acceptance at Harvard will be a really good negotiation chip at schools below them. It’ll be worth it to apply to all of HYS to maximize your potential leverage. (This was a refreshing new angle in debating applications to HYS)
Piggybacking off of OP; would the same principle apply to CCN for leveraging scholarships from lower T14s?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:26 pm

Cogburn1984 wrote:
Piggybacking off of OP; would the same principle apply to CCN for leveraging scholarships from lower T14s?
Yes, but not nearly to the same extent. Definitely still worth the $100 app fee though.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:19 pm

It's a few hundred bucks for the chance of thousands. Do it and don't look back.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:58 am

emkay625 wrote:Also, because of need-based aid, you may get money from them, depending on your financial situation.
I'm pretty sure OP's logic is T13 full-ride >>>> needs-based aid at HYS, and I completely agree. Doesn't HYS reduce your aid too if you get a 2L SA? Lame. IIRC, someone said that max need-based aid at HYS still puts someone back $150k. Why go back $150k if you want standard biglaw when you can take on $0-$30k at a lower T13? Prestige ain't worth it.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:01 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Also, because of need-based aid, you may get money from them, depending on your financial situation.
I'm pretty sure OP's logic is T13 full-ride >>>> needs-based aid at HYS, and I completely agree. Doesn't HYS reduce your aid too if you get a 2L SA? Lame. IIRC, someone said that max need-based aid at HYS still puts someone back $150k. Why go back $150k if you want standard biglaw when you can take on $0-$30k at a lower T13? Prestige ain't worth it.
Yup. This is exactly the battle being fought balancing cost and prestige (or benefit, if you're an economist).

HYS makes sense on a case by case basis, but it's every bit as often the T13 with a big scholarship makes sense.

Chaimthegreat

New

Post by Chaimthegreat » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:52 am

People can way in on this too but I might apply to Cornell as well. Even if you don't plan to go it's a great way to leverage $$$ at other t-13 schools you are interested in. As has been said, apply to Harvard.

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:02 am

Chaimthegreat wrote:People can way in on this too but I might apply to Cornell as well. Even if you don't plan to go it's a great way to leverage $$$ at other t-13 schools you are interested in. As has been said, apply to Harvard.
I'd agree. OP has a very good chance at getting a full-tuition offer from Cornell. If your $35 buys even a %1 chance at negotiating an extra $10k somewhere else you're getting terrific ROI.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”