Turning Down Negotiated Offer & Reapplying Next Yr (with potentially same score)

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
User avatar
potus
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:34 am

Turning Down Negotiated Offer & Reapplying Next Yr (with potentially same score)

Postby potus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:03 pm

Hi all. I negotiated some offers that really made me consider pulling the trigger to go to law school this year, but I have one retake left that I'm also considering which will allow me to apply early next cycle for potentially better opportunities. This is kind of a specific scenario, but has anyone either have experience or advice about turning down negotiated scholarship offers and then reapplying next year? If I fail to get a higher score on my LSAT, will my scholarship offer likely be lower than the initial offer I received this cycle?

I actually applied in February for this cycle. I'm also hoping applying early would give an extra, albeit small, bump.

User avatar
Shakawkaw
Posts: 4767
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Turning Down Negotiated Offer & Reapplying Next Yr (with potentially same score)

Postby Shakawkaw » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:06 pm

I think everyone on this board will tell you to retake if you think you can score even a point higher than you previous takes.

That said, every cycle is different. People reapply and get different packages, or rejected/waitlisted, from the same schools they got into with substantial money from previous cycles.

From your TLS box, I'm guessing you got a 158? If you think you can do better on the LSAT, then take off a year and do it. If you think you're only going to go up by a point, I don't think it's going to substantially change your outcomes.

What's your GPA, and what are the offers you're currently considering?

User avatar
potus
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:34 am

Re: Turning Down Negotiated Offer & Reapplying Next Yr (with potentially same score)

Postby potus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:15 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:I think everyone on this board will tell you to retake if you think you can score even a point higher than you previous takes.

That said, every cycle is different. People reapply and get different packages, or rejected/waitlisted, from the same schools they got into with substantial money from previous cycles.

From your TLS box, I'm guessing you got a 158? If you think you can do better on the LSAT, then take off a year and do it. If you think you're only going to go up by a point, I don't think it's going to substantially change your outcomes.

What's your GPA, and what are the offers you're currently considering?


3.66's my LSDAS GPA. My major is 3.95 but probably null. I have good softs with graduate school, work experience, and all. I made the mistake of not going "all in" with this cycle, and just applied to see how far I could get. The offers I have on the table are Cardozo, St. John's, and Brooklyn. Didn't even consider Fordham for this cycle. After negotiating with Cardozo and getting it up to 40K/yr., that's pretty much the same offer I would get re-applying in the low 160s.

Yep! You're right with the 158.

User avatar
Shakawkaw
Posts: 4767
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Turning Down Negotiated Offer & Reapplying Next Yr (with potentially same score)

Postby Shakawkaw » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:20 pm

potus wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:I think everyone on this board will tell you to retake if you think you can score even a point higher than you previous takes.

That said, every cycle is different. People reapply and get different packages, or rejected/waitlisted, from the same schools they got into with substantial money from previous cycles.

From your TLS box, I'm guessing you got a 158? If you think you can do better on the LSAT, then take off a year and do it. If you think you're only going to go up by a point, I don't think it's going to substantially change your outcomes.

What's your GPA, and what are the offers you're currently considering?


3.66's my LSDAS GPA. My major is 3.95 but probably null. I have good softs with graduate school, work experience, and all. I made the mistake of not going "all in" with this cycle, and just applied to see how far I could get. The offers I have on the table are Cardozo, St. John's, and Brooklyn. Didn't even consider Fordham for this cycle. After negotiating with Cardozo and getting it up to 40K/yr., that's pretty much the same offer I would get re-applying in the low 160s.

Yep! You're right with the 158.


I think that with your numbers, you can probably get a little more from Cardozo. What you could do is pay the first deposit, and then say that you are considering withdrawing if they don't up the scholarship because the cost is too high, etc. A lot of money frees up after the first deposit deadline. The plus side is you can get a lot more money. The downside is that you would lose $400 if you decide to ultimately withdraw. I don't think Cardozo would be a bad option for your goals.

ETA: Just by scrolling through LSN:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Britbrooks89

It's possible.

baseballfan660
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:46 pm

Re: Turning Down Negotiated Offer & Reapplying Next Yr (with potentially same score)

Postby baseballfan660 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:25 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
potus wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:I think everyone on this board will tell you to retake if you think you can score even a point higher than you previous takes.

That said, every cycle is different. People reapply and get different packages, or rejected/waitlisted, from the same schools they got into with substantial money from previous cycles.

From your TLS box, I'm guessing you got a 158? If you think you can do better on the LSAT, then take off a year and do it. If you think you're only going to go up by a point, I don't think it's going to substantially change your outcomes.

What's your GPA, and what are the offers you're currently considering?


3.66's my LSDAS GPA. My major is 3.95 but probably null. I have good softs with graduate school, work experience, and all. I made the mistake of not going "all in" with this cycle, and just applied to see how far I could get. The offers I have on the table are Cardozo, St. John's, and Brooklyn. Didn't even consider Fordham for this cycle. After negotiating with Cardozo and getting it up to 40K/yr., that's pretty much the same offer I would get re-applying in the low 160s.

Yep! You're right with the 158.


I think that with your numbers, you can probably get a little more from Cardozo. What you could do is pay the first deposit, and then say that you are considering withdrawing if they don't up the scholarship because the cost is too high, etc. A lot of money frees up after the first deposit deadline. The plus side is you can get a lot more money. The downside is that you would lose $400 if you decide to ultimately withdraw. I don't think Cardozo would be a bad option for your goals.

ETA: Just by scrolling through LSN:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Britbrooks89

It's possible.


I think that's a URM though. I might be mistaken, but don't think too many whites apply to Howard University.

User avatar
potus
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:34 am

Re: Turning Down Negotiated Offer & Reapplying Next Yr (with potentially same score)

Postby potus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:34 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:I think that with your numbers, you can probably get a little more from Cardozo. What you could do is pay the first deposit, and then say that you are considering withdrawing if they don't up the scholarship because the cost is too high, etc. A lot of money frees up after the first deposit deadline. The plus side is you can get a lot more money. The downside is that you would lose $400 if you decide to ultimately withdraw. I don't think Cardozo would be a bad option for your goals.

ETA: Just by scrolling through LSN:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Britbrooks89

It's possible.


Thanks a lot for this. I really appreciate your help. It gives me a lot to think about.

Additionally, to provide all the info, I confided with my boss about my law school aspirations and luckily she's supportive. And then she wanted me to stay, even if it's just one year, and offered more $, new title, which has presented another option that I'd need to turn down.

baseballfan660
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:46 pm

Re: Turning Down Negotiated Offer & Reapplying Next Yr (with potentially same score)

Postby baseballfan660 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:46 pm

potus wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:I think that with your numbers, you can probably get a little more from Cardozo. What you could do is pay the first deposit, and then say that you are considering withdrawing if they don't up the scholarship because the cost is too high, etc. A lot of money frees up after the first deposit deadline. The plus side is you can get a lot more money. The downside is that you would lose $400 if you decide to ultimately withdraw. I don't think Cardozo would be a bad option for your goals.

ETA: Just by scrolling through LSN:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Britbrooks89

It's possible.


Thanks a lot for this. I really appreciate your help. It gives me a lot to think about.

Additionally, to provide all the info, I confided with my boss about my law school aspirations and luckily she's supportive. And then she wanted me to stay, even if it's just one year, and offered more $, new title, which has presented another option that I'd need to turn down.

I think you should definitely take another year to re-apply then. A new title is a good soft, more money helps you pay for school, and now you have more time to study for the LSAT if you choose to do so.

User avatar
potus
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:34 am

Re: Turning Down Negotiated Offer & Reapplying Next Yr (with potentially same score)

Postby potus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:57 pm

baseballfan660 wrote:I think you should definitely take another year to re-apply then. A new title is a good soft, more money helps you pay for school, and now you have more time to study for the LSAT if you choose to do so.


It's definitely an option to take. If I do, I would imagine that it will just be about carefully crafting the right message to Cardozo to let them know that I appreciate their offer and enjoyed the school per visit, etc., unfortunately won't be able to attend, and then do a LOCI to let them know that I'd like to reapply next cycle.

baseballfan660
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:46 pm

Re: Turning Down Negotiated Offer & Reapplying Next Yr (with potentially same score)

Postby baseballfan660 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:03 pm

potus wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:I think you should definitely take another year to re-apply then. A new title is a good soft, more money helps you pay for school, and now you have more time to study for the LSAT if you choose to do so.


It's definitely an option to take. If I do, I would imagine that it will just be about carefully crafting the right message to Cardozo to let them know that I appreciate their offer and enjoyed the school per visit, etc., unfortunately won't be able to attend, and then do a LOCI to let them know that I'd like to reapply next cycle.


Definitely sounds like a good plan, alerting them to the fact that you got a raise,which even one year's worth of work would lead you to much less debt would be a good reason to give as well, and is definitely understandable.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bababoom and 1 guest