Am I struck out with scholarship negotiation?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
jeffcooon
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:35 pm

Am I struck out with scholarship negotiation?

Postby jeffcooon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:30 pm

I sent an email to the admissions office, asking for protocols in which I could ask for any increase/availability of merit aid. The office said, after further review, there is no merit aid that the school could provide for me. Does this mean I cannot even provide peer school's offer? and that I am done with scholarship negotiation?

chicagoburger
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:34 pm

Re: Am I struck out with scholarship negotiation?

Postby chicagoburger » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:35 pm

jeffcooon wrote:I sent an email to the admissions office, asking for protocols in which I could ask for any increase/availability of merit aid. The office said, after further review, there is no merit aid that the school could provide for me. Does this mean I cannot even provide peer school's offer? and that I am done with scholarship negotiation?


Don't take it on the first counter. Don't give up until it's at least the third round of email exchange.
The first reply is usually standard one that they hit "send" with template. You need to follow up to get their personal response.

User avatar
RCSOB657
Posts: 3066
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Am I struck out with scholarship negotiation?

Postby RCSOB657 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:37 pm

Did you already have a pending scholarship, or did you ask how to increase the scholarship you didn't have yet?

jeffcooon
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:35 pm

Re: Am I struck out with scholarship negotiation?

Postby jeffcooon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:19 am

RCSOB657 wrote:Did you already have a pending scholarship, or did you ask how to increase the scholarship you didn't have yet?


I spoke to two schools:

1. T60 regional school - asking for scholarship increase
2. T70ish private school - received zero, asking for any availability of scholarship

User avatar
RCSOB657
Posts: 3066
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Am I struck out with scholarship negotiation?

Postby RCSOB657 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:22 am

jeffcooon wrote:
RCSOB657 wrote:Did you already have a pending scholarship, or did you ask how to increase the scholarship you didn't have yet?


I spoke to two schools:

1. T60 regional school - asking for scholarship increase
2. T70ish private school - received zero, asking for any availability of scholarship


Which one dropped you?

jeffcooon
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:35 pm

Re: Am I struck out with scholarship negotiation?

Postby jeffcooon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:04 am

RCSOB657 wrote:
jeffcooon wrote:
RCSOB657 wrote:Did you already have a pending scholarship, or did you ask how to increase the scholarship you didn't have yet?


I spoke to two schools:

1. T60 regional school - asking for scholarship increase
2. T70ish private school - received zero, asking for any availability of scholarship


Which one dropped you?


Both schools =(




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests