Will Chicago negotiate based on Michigan's award?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
palalc
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:29 am

Will Chicago negotiate based on Michigan's award?

Postby palalc » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:56 am

Still waiting on aid awards from NYU and Columbia, but already received an aid award from Chicago. The closest ranked peer school I have also received an award from is Michigan (120k). Is there any use trying to move Chicago up using Michigan's award, or would it be better to wait until at least NYU comes through?

Although Chicago is a close second, my first choice is Columbia, so my initial goal is to use Chicago's award to negotiate with Columbia.

User avatar
AnMzungu
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Will Chicago negotiate based on Michigan's award?

Postby AnMzungu » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:53 am

palalc wrote:Still waiting on aid awards from NYU and Columbia, but already received an aid award from Chicago. The closest ranked peer school I have also received an award from is Michigan (120k). Is there any use trying to move Chicago up using Michigan's award, or would it be better to wait until at least NYU comes through?

Although Chicago is a close second, my first choice is Columbia, so my initial goal is to use Chicago's award to negotiate with Columbia.


You've got a decent chance at success, but there are no guarantees when it comes to snooty Chi-raq. If your offer is ~$50,000 from Chicago I'd say the odds are against them bumping you up much. Over that scholarship level, you'll probably get something in negotiation, and there's no harm in trying. Definitely try to push Columbia via the inevitable NYU scholly.

I'd first recommend using Cornell/UCLA full rides to bump that Michigan scholarship up.

User avatar
Clemenceau
Posts: 942
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Will Chicago negotiate based on Michigan's award?

Postby Clemenceau » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:55 am

Try. There isn't some rule about how many times you can try to negotiate. Show Chicago what you have from Michigan and see where it gets you. No promises it will work, but it won't hurt.

I sent every t14 scholly to every other school that offered me less. I ended up with with great deals at ccn and p. My gpa sucked.

palalc
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:29 am

Re: Will Chicago negotiate based on Michigan's award?

Postby palalc » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:32 am

AnMzungu wrote:
palalc wrote:Still waiting on aid awards from NYU and Columbia, but already received an aid award from Chicago. The closest ranked peer school I have also received an award from is Michigan (120k). Is there any use trying to move Chicago up using Michigan's award, or would it be better to wait until at least NYU comes through?

Although Chicago is a close second, my first choice is Columbia, so my initial goal is to use Chicago's award to negotiate with Columbia.


You've got a decent chance at success, but there are no guarantees when it comes to snooty Chi-raq. If your offer is ~$50,000 from Chicago I'd say the odds are against them bumping you up much. Over that scholarship level, you'll probably get something in negotiation, and there's no harm in trying. Definitely try to push Columbia via the inevitable NYU scholly.

I'd first recommend using Cornell/UCLA full rides to bump that Michigan scholarship up.


So you're saying if my Chicago scholarship is over 50k then I'll have a better chance at them bumping it up a bit?

Also, what would you say is proper eqiquette in terms of the time between Chicago's aid offer and a first negotiation attempt? I'd assume there's not much reason to wait? Other than the possibility of a NYU/Columbia offer coming through?

I'm starting to think that it may actually be beneficial to try to negotiate using the Michigan offer first before I hear from a higher ranked school because if Chicago won't budge given the Mich offer then I can have a second attempt using NYU/Columbia - instead of waiting to send them all at once and having them refuse to budge for any of the other offers. However, I'm worried that if they do up the scholly b/c of the Michigan offer, then it would look bad to ask them to up it again in the event that the NYU scholarship is very generous. In other words, by using Michigan's offer and not waiting to send NYU's first I may be leaving money on the table. Thoughts?

palalc
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:29 am

Re: Will Chicago negotiate based on Michigan's award?

Postby palalc » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:38 am

Clemenceau wrote:Try. There isn't some rule about how many times you can try to negotiate. Show Chicago what you have from Michigan and see where it gets you. No promises it will work, but it won't hurt.

I sent every t14 scholly to every other school that offered me less. I ended up with with great deals at ccn and p. My gpa sucked.


Thank you for the advice. I agree, although what about in the event of what I described above? About leaving money on the table?

Also, I'm sure I have already answered this myself, but just to be certain: There's no benefit to sending a peer school's scholly offer to a school that hasn't yet sent you their award offer? ie. some sort of negotiation before the initial offer? I assume it's better to wait until the initial offer and not give up your leverage prior to said offer?

User avatar
Clemenceau
Posts: 942
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Will Chicago negotiate based on Michigan's award?

Postby Clemenceau » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:56 am

palalc wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:Try. There isn't some rule about how many times you can try to negotiate. Show Chicago what you have from Michigan and see where it gets you. No promises it will work, but it won't hurt.

I sent every t14 scholly to every other school that offered me less. I ended up with with great deals at ccn and p. My gpa sucked.


Thank you for the advice. I agree, although what about in the event of what I described above? About leaving money on the table?

Also, I'm sure I have already answered this myself, but just to be certain: There's no benefit to sending a peer school's scholly offer to a school that hasn't yet sent you their award offer? ie. some sort of negotiation before the initial offer? I assume it's better to wait until the initial offer and not give up your leverage prior to said offer?


I disagree with the "leaving money on the table" suggestion. You can always send multiple offers to a school, at once or separately. Don't focus too hard on the word "negotiate", which makes it sound like a standoffish movie-like interaction where you get one shot to throw them your best offer, or they walk away from the "table". It's a conversation. Be transparent about the offers you have and your concerns about financing law school, and of course be enthusiastic about attending whichever school that you're speaking with.

That said, don't hound them with emails. That brings me to your next question. I agree that there's no reason to start trying to bargain before you get your initial award, unless you're up against a deadline.

palalc
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:29 am

Re: Will Chicago negotiate based on Michigan's award?

Postby palalc » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:40 am

Clemenceau wrote:
palalc wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:Try. There isn't some rule about how many times you can try to negotiate. Show Chicago what you have from Michigan and see where it gets you. No promises it will work, but it won't hurt.

I sent every t14 scholly to every other school that offered me less. I ended up with with great deals at ccn and p. My gpa sucked.


Thank you for the advice. I agree, although what about in the event of what I described above? About leaving money on the table?

Also, I'm sure I have already answered this myself, but just to be certain: There's no benefit to sending a peer school's scholly offer to a school that hasn't yet sent you their award offer? ie. some sort of negotiation before the initial offer? I assume it's better to wait until the initial offer and not give up your leverage prior to said offer?


I disagree with the "leaving money on the table" suggestion. You can always send multiple offers to a school, at once or separately. Don't focus too hard on the word "negotiate", which makes it sound like a standoffish movie-like interaction where you get one shot to throw them your best offer, or they walk away from the "table". It's a conversation. Be transparent about the offers you have and your concerns about financing law school, and of course be enthusiastic about attending whichever school that you're speaking with.

That said, don't hound them with emails. That brings me to your next question. I agree that there's no reason to start trying to bargain before you get your initial award, unless you're up against a deadline.


I appreciate the perspective and I understand what you're saying. That does seem to be a better way of looking at the process. And as for the initial award Q, I thought so.

Again, thanks for the advice.

User avatar
LSRAT
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:02 am

Re: Will Chicago negotiate based on Michigan's award?

Postby LSRAT » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:38 pm

In the same boat. If you can, update with how it goes!




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest