Loan Interest Rate Differences Between School and Fed Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Lawschool305

Bronze

Loan Interest Rate Differences Between School and Fed

Post by Lawschool305 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:19 pm

Can anyone explain to me why some schools have interest rates for the unsubsidized loan and the Grad Plus loan which are 1-2 percent higher than what the government lists the rates as on the website?

I see online that the direct unsubsidized is 5.31% and the Direct Plus is 6.31%. Do we pay these rates or the rates listed at schools which could be as high as 7% for direct unsub and 8% for Direct Plus??

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Loan Interest Rate Differences Between School and Fed

Post by Nebby » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:01 pm

Lawschool305 wrote:Can anyone explain to me why some schools have interest rates for the unsubsidized loan and the Grad Plus loan which are 1-2 percent higher than what the government lists the rates as on the website?

I see online that the direct unsubsidized is 5.31% and the Direct Plus is 6.31%. Do we pay these rates or the rates listed at schools which could be as high as 7% for direct unsub and 8% for Direct Plus??
You pay whatever the government says. Perhaps the school hasn't updated their website yet, as these rates change at least once a year.

studentloanplanner

New

Re: Loan Interest Rate Differences Between School and Fed

Post by studentloanplanner » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:07 pm

Off the top of my head I believe grad unsub staffords have a fixed 3.6% margin above the 10 year treasury bond rate set every summer when they lock it in for the year ahead. Grad Plus is a 4.6% margin on the same benchmark. Since 10 year is currently far higher than last summer 2016, I'd expect about 6.5% for staffords and 7.5% for grad plus for next fall. Mod edit: you're not allowed to promote your own offsite materials outside of the free help from the professionals forum.

Return to “Financial Aid”