Negotiation timing

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
banananut
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:25 pm

Negotiation timing

Postby banananut » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:25 pm

Quick question: So far, I've been admitted to a handful of T10's, but have only received money from UVA (it came through in my admitted student's package). I just submitted my FAFSA/CSS to all of my schools this past weekend.

Is it too early to send other schools my UVA offer letter? Should I wait until I hear back from them about a preliminary offer? When is it appropriate to start sending competing offers to schools that have been quiet on financial aid?

Thanks!!

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4476
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Negotiation timing

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:47 pm

I think I'd probably wait to see about offers from the other schools before sending UVA's offer. Also, it seems like some schools are moving towards having you fill out a renegotiation form that can only be submitted once, so for those schools it's best to have as much scholarship information as possible.

(0L here though so definitely see what others say).

LawTweet
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Negotiation timing

Postby LawTweet » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:53 pm

banananut wrote:Quick question: So far, I've been admitted to a handful of T10's, but have only received money from UVA (it came through in my admitted student's package). I just submitted my FAFSA/CSS to all of my schools this past weekend.

Is it too early to send other schools my UVA offer letter? Should I wait until I hear back from them about a preliminary offer? When is it appropriate to start sending competing offers to schools that have been quiet on financial aid?

Thanks!!


FWIW, I tried yesterday to negotiate my Cornell scholarship with a much better offer from Michigan and was flat out denied. Who knows why? But perhaps helpful information.

somedeadman
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Negotiation timing

Postby somedeadman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:04 pm

LawTweet wrote:
banananut wrote:Quick question: So far, I've been admitted to a handful of T10's, but have only received money from UVA (it came through in my admitted student's package). I just submitted my FAFSA/CSS to all of my schools this past weekend.

Is it too early to send other schools my UVA offer letter? Should I wait until I hear back from them about a preliminary offer? When is it appropriate to start sending competing offers to schools that have been quiet on financial aid?

Thanks!!


FWIW, I tried yesterday to negotiate my Cornell scholarship with a much better offer from Michigan and was flat out denied. Who knows why? But perhaps helpful information.

Can you PM more details? Did they respond with a "no" within the day essentially?

LawTweet
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Negotiation timing

Postby LawTweet » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:07 pm

somedeadman wrote:
LawTweet wrote:
banananut wrote:Quick question: So far, I've been admitted to a handful of T10's, but have only received money from UVA (it came through in my admitted student's package). I just submitted my FAFSA/CSS to all of my schools this past weekend.

Is it too early to send other schools my UVA offer letter? Should I wait until I hear back from them about a preliminary offer? When is it appropriate to start sending competing offers to schools that have been quiet on financial aid?

Thanks!!


FWIW, I tried yesterday to negotiate my Cornell scholarship with a much better offer from Michigan and was flat out denied. Who knows why? But perhaps helpful information.

Can you PM more details? Did they respond with a "no" within the day essentially?


Yup. Like, "We looked at your offer and have decided we cannot reconsider. We have limited funds that we try to distribute widely. We still think you should come to Cornell. Plz visit."

needbasedlaw
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:49 pm

Re: Negotiation timing

Postby needbasedlaw » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:53 pm

.
Last edited by needbasedlaw on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4476
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Negotiation timing

Postby brinicolec » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:59 pm

needbasedlaw wrote:
brinicolec wrote:I think I'd probably wait to see about offers from the other schools before sending UVA's offer. Also, it seems like some schools are moving towards having you fill out a renegotiation form that can only be submitted once, so for those schools it's best to have as much scholarship information as possible.

(0L here though so definitely see what others say).


Do you know which schools are doing the renegotiation form?

I got a very nice scholarship from a T-10 school, only about half of this at UCLA, and a full scholarship at WUSTL. I'm a little worried that perhaps I got lucky with the T-10 scholarship and that if schools ranked lower give me a starting offer at UCLA's or less that they won't reconsider to the point of matching or besting the T-10 one. I'm still waiting on some scholarship offers (and to hear back in general from lots of places). For the schools that are ranked below the T-10 I almost feel like telling them pre-emptively about the offer to cut to the chase. Is that a horrible idea?

I just feel like I'm not sure that I can use the three figure T-10 scholarship to get UCLA to anything that would make me consider it, even though I do like UCLA. Whereas, I feel like maybe if I told Georgetown before they gave me my initial offer maybe there would be a better outcome. Then again, I'm still waiting for the hypothetical Georgetown "feeler" email.


Michigan doesn't have a form but they basically ask that you put all your offers into a PDF and email it to them.

I don't have many T10 offers so I'm not sure how most of their negotiating works.

I think I'd wait to mention other offers because you don't know what they're going to give you yet and you don't want to come off as entitled, but someone else might be better able to answer that question.

I'd try negotiating with UCLA, especially since CoL is pretty high there.

For Georgetown, you might be able to just email them since they shot out feeler emails awhile ago. I haven't seen anything about a more recent wave of feeler emails.

needbasedlaw
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:49 pm

Re: Negotiation timing

Postby needbasedlaw » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:53 pm

.
Last edited by needbasedlaw on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4476
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Negotiation timing

Postby brinicolec » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:55 pm

needbasedlaw wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Michigan doesn't have a form but they basically ask that you put all your offers into a PDF and email it to them.

I don't have many T10 offers so I'm not sure how most of their negotiating works.

I think I'd wait to mention other offers because you don't know what they're going to give you yet and you don't want to come off as entitled, but someone else might be better able to answer that question.

I'd try negotiating with UCLA, especially since CoL is pretty high there.

For Georgetown, you might be able to just email them since they shot out feeler emails awhile ago. I haven't seen anything about a more recent wave of feeler emails.


Thanks for the feedback! I don't mean to sound entitled but can see where it could come off that way. I definitely don't feel that any of the schools should be giving me X amount of money. I am just being realistic in that with the nice T-10 offer it would be really hard for me to justify attending any of the lower ranked schools unless they at least got close, but probably requires a higher offer and a better program in my specific area of interest or better CoL.

I am definitely grateful for both the T-10 and WUSTL offers! I significantly outperformed my numbers in terms of the T-10 scholarship and it was more than I thought I would be offered. I am just trying to figure out which schools still make sense to consider in terms of withdrawing and planning visits. For the schools I've been accepted to that requires figuring out the price tag. I guess I just want to cut to the chase! I should probably just accept that I applied in January and this process will likely require a lot more time and patience.


Yeah, some schools drag their feet on scholly info too. I don't think anyone has reported getting scholly info from GULC yet. I know I haven't received anything and I was sent a feeler email awhile back.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests