Keeping Loans in Deferment Between College and Law School Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
fourwinds

New

Keeping Loans in Deferment Between College and Law School

Post by fourwinds » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:08 pm

I am graduating with my bachelor's degree in December 2017, but I am not starting law school until August 2018. I know that federal student loans (which I have from my undergrad institution) go into repayment after six months and then the subsidized loans start gaining interest. I was wondering if it's possible to keep my loans in deferment between December 2017 and August 2018, nine months, since I will be going to law school after I graduate college and not taking a true gap year.

I want my subsidized loans to stay subsidized and I don't want to go into repayment until I'm a lawyer.

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Re: Keeping Loans in Deferment Between College and Law School

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:17 pm

fourwinds wrote:I am graduating with my bachelor's degree in December 2017, but I am not starting law school until August 2018. I know that federal student loans (which I have from my undergrad institution) go into repayment after six months and then the subsidized loans start gaining interest. I was wondering if it's possible to keep my loans in deferment between December 2017 and August 2018, nine months, since I will be going to law school after I graduate college and not taking a true gap year.

I want my subsidized loans to stay subsidized and I don't want to go into repayment until I'm a lawyer.
https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loan ... ligibility

That has details on loan deferment and forbearance. You might be able to qualify for more time in deferment if you are unemployed/can't find a job. If you get forbearance though, the interest still begins to accrue, but you either pay no/low amount towards your loans.

Return to “Financial Aid”