Negotiating Earlier, Later, or Never? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
LawTweet

Bronze

Negotiating Earlier, Later, or Never?

Post by LawTweet » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:32 pm

I was offered a full tuition plus stipend to Michigan and got, imo, lowball offers from Duke and Cornell which both offered me 35k per year (about half of what Mich offered).

I'm pretty interested in Cornell but haven't visited. Should I reach out to Cornell now, while they might have more money available? Or I do I wait until after the admitted students visit so I can be sure it's a school I would really want to go to over Michigan (is it "bad" to negotiate if you're not seriously considering the school)? Or do I even bother negotiating period?

dietcoke1

Silver

Re: Negotiating Earlier, Later, or Never?

Post by dietcoke1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:41 pm

I would take the UMich offer to Cornell now. Even though you still seem undecided on a school, there is no harm in trying to get Cornell to match now rather than later when they may be low on funds. Do it now

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:19 pm

Why would you go to Cornell over Michigan? Duke could make sense if you want to practice in the South, but Michigan is a much better school than Cornell, right?

theboringest

Bronze

Post by theboringest » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:36 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:Why would you go to Cornell over Michigan? Duke could make sense if you want to practice in the South, but Michigan is a much better school than Cornell, right?
Ranking doesn't mean better. Cornell crushes Mich in Biglaw jobs, and is noticeably better in overall employment score.

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:41 pm

theboringest wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:Why would you go to Cornell over Michigan? Duke could make sense if you want to practice in the South, but Michigan is a much better school than Cornell, right?
Ranking doesn't mean better. Cornell crushes Mich in Biglaw jobs, and is noticeably better in overall employment score.
Wow, you're right!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:42 pm

theboringest wrote:
Mostly bc of distance. But I have negative desire to do big law and specifically interested in public interest and plaintiff-side litigation so Michigan is probably a much better fit overall. The distance is just sort of a bummer.

theboringest

Bronze

Post by theboringest » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:42 pm

LawTweet wrote:
theboringest wrote:
Mostly bc of distance. But I have negative desire to do big law and specifically interested in public interest and plaintiff-side litigation so Michigan is probably a much better fit overall. The distance is just sort of a bummer.
I'd be careful with attributing reasoning as we don't know why one does better...but Michigan has cut its class size so we can expect outcomes to improve. Really they're peer schools, at equal or close cost choose your favorite.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:09 pm

theboringest wrote:
LawTweet wrote:
theboringest wrote:
I'd be careful with attributing reasoning as we don't know why one does better...but Michigan has cut its class size so we can expect outcomes to improve. Really they're peer schools, at equal or close cost choose your favorite.
Well there's absolutely zero way I could justify taking out like 100k in loans for Cornell when I could go to Michigan and take out literally 0.

theboringest

Bronze

Post by theboringest » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:40 pm

LawTweet wrote:
theboringest wrote:
LawTweet wrote:
theboringest wrote:
Well there's absolutely zero way I could justify taking out like 100k in loans for Cornell when I could go to Michigan and take out literally 0.
He'll no, Michigan wins ten times out of ten in that scenario.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:59 pm

OP still wondering about his question...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”