Noticeably Low Scholarship; Negotiation?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
J.Hwang
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:27 am

Noticeably Low Scholarship; Negotiation?

Postby J.Hwang » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:40 am

Hi.

OK, let me just put my brief information first.
International applicant
GPA: 3.8 but my transcript just says 'Superior'
LSAT: 165

So far I've received scholarship from
U of Minnesota $120,000
Notre Dame $90,000
George Washington $105,000
...and still waiting to hear from USC, Emory and BU

The thing is that BC just gave me $45,000 even though I'm way over their 75% of both LSAT and GPA. :)
I checked the LSN and other fellow BC applicants with similar numbers or lower received much more generous amount of scholarship in general. Maybe this is an internatinoal applicant thing... :cry:

1. So when is the right timing to negotiate scholarship? The sooner the better? After hearing from USC, Emor and BU? Or after the first seat deposit?

2. Is it by any chance an indirect way of saying 'don't come to our school'...? (or am I just being too crazy? :( )



Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4476
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Noticeably Low Scholarship; Negotiation?

Postby brinicolec » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:25 am

J.Hwang wrote:Hi.

OK, let me just put my brief information first.
International applicant
GPA: 3.8 but my transcript just says 'Superior'
LSAT: 165

So far I've received scholarship from
U of Minnesota $120,000
Notre Dame $90,000
George Washington $105,000
...and still waiting to hear from USC, Emory and BU

The thing is that BC just gave me $45,000 even though I'm way over their 75% of both LSAT and GPA. :)
I checked the LSN and other fellow BC applicants with similar numbers or lower received much more generous amount of scholarship in general. Maybe this is an internatinoal applicant thing... :cry:

1. So when is the right timing to negotiate scholarship? The sooner the better? After hearing from USC, Emor and BU? Or after the first seat deposit?

2. Is it by any chance an indirect way of saying 'don't come to our school'...? (or am I just being too crazy? :( )



Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.


1. I think you could try using some of your other offers to begin negotiating now if you wanted to BUT I will say that I think the best negotiation tool for BC will be a better offer from BU. Since you mentioned a seat deposit, is BC the school you're planning on attending? If not, then I'm confused about why you'd deposit...

2. No.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4644
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Noticeably Low Scholarship; Negotiation?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:20 am

According to their 509, it looks like BC is just stingy. Their 75th percentile scholarship amount is $25k a year. So you can negotiate, but it looks like they're not the most generous people with scholarships.

J.Hwang
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:27 am

Re: Noticeably Low Scholarship; Negotiation?

Postby J.Hwang » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:12 pm

brinicolec wrote:
J.Hwang wrote:Hi.

OK, let me just put my brief information first.
International applicant
GPA: 3.8 but my transcript just says 'Superior'
LSAT: 165

So far I've received scholarship from
U of Minnesota $120,000
Notre Dame $90,000
George Washington $105,000
...and still waiting to hear from USC, Emory and BU

The thing is that BC just gave me $45,000 even though I'm way over their 75% of both LSAT and GPA. :)
I checked the LSN and other fellow BC applicants with similar numbers or lower received much more generous amount of scholarship in general. Maybe this is an internatinoal applicant thing... :cry:

1. So when is the right timing to negotiate scholarship? The sooner the better? After hearing from USC, Emor and BU? Or after the first seat deposit?

2. Is it by any chance an indirect way of saying 'don't come to our school'...? (or am I just being too crazy? :( )



Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.


1. I think you could try using some of your other offers to begin negotiating now if you wanted to BUT I will say that I think the best negotiation tool for BC will be a better offer from BU. Since you mentioned a seat deposit, is BC the school you're planning on attending? If not, then I'm confused about why you'd deposit...

2. No.



Yes I'd go for BC if I get, or would get after negotiating, $90,000 or more. UMN is an okay school and truely a good option considering the money, but I think Boston will give me more opportunity career-wise. ND is a descent school and the COA would be not so bad, but I'm not sure if I could fit in since the school looks like a conservative, devout-Catholic school for rich people... :shock:

Anyway, thanks for your advice. I'll wait for BU first.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests