Full Tuition (UCLA) question

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
lazarzhr

Full Tuition (UCLA) question

Postby lazarzhr » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:18 am

Just found out I received a full-tuition merit scholarship from UCLA. I am wondering how this might affect need-based grants for housing/living expenses? Do need-based grant awards usually come out separately (like in March, when the financial aid typically comes out), or would this mean I am ineligible for further support from the school?

guynourmin

Re: Full Tuition (UCLA) question

Postby guynourmin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:49 pm

I'm not going to say this as eloquently or thoroughly as others could, but there's not really a situation where you need that much aid. Like, its a professional school, you don't need to go to law school, average law school debt is 6-figures. You can reasonably be asked to take out loans to cover your living expenses. There isn't really a situation where you require SO much aid you can't even pay for your own food. Does that make sense? Again, I'm sure someone else can explain it better, but, basically, I don't think you're getting additional need-based aid, I do not believe you need it.

lazarzhr

Postby lazarzhr » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:09 pm

guybourdin wrote:I'm not going to say this as eloquently or thoroughly as others could, but there's not really a situation where you need that much aid. Like, its a professional school, you don't need to go to law school, average law school debt is 6-figures. You can reasonably be asked to take out loans to cover your living expenses. There isn't really a situation where you require SO much aid you can't even pay for your own food. Does that make sense? Again, I'm sure someone else can explain it better, but, basically, I don't think you're getting additional need-based aid, I do not believe you need it.

Totally! I wasn't sure what the $ amount threshold for need-based grants might be. Thanks for your help!

Dreadhead168

Postby Dreadhead168 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:30 pm

lazarzhr wrote:Just found out I received a full-tuition merit scholarship from UCLA. I am wondering how this might affect need-based grants for housing/living expenses? Do need-based grant awards usually come out separately (like in March, when the financial aid typically comes out), or would this mean I am ineligible for further support from the school?

I'm not going to be helpful in terms of answering your question, but was this a dean's merit scholarship or one of the two full-tuition scholarship programs that need a separate application filled out? Either way, congrats!

lazarzhr

Postby lazarzhr » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:31 pm

Dreadhead168 wrote:
lazarzhr wrote:Just found out I received a full-tuition merit scholarship from UCLA. I am wondering how this might affect need-based grants for housing/living expenses? Do need-based grant awards usually come out separately (like in March, when the financial aid typically comes out), or would this mean I am ineligible for further support from the school?

I'm not going to be helpful in terms of answering your question, but was this a dean's merit scholarship or one of the two full-tuition scholarship programs that need a separate application filled out? Either way, congrats!

This was the "Distinguished Scholars" full-tuition scholarship (the early decision one). Thanks!

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:04 pm

UCLA, unlike some other schools, determines and doles out their need-based aid independently of whatever merit aid you get. If you qualify for need-based aid, you'll get that on top of your merit scholarship. Whether you qualify will depends solely on your income (and, if you're under a certain age, I forget how old, the income of your parents). At least, this is how they operated a couple of years ago.

lazarzhr

Postby lazarzhr » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:28 pm

Hand wrote:UCLA, unlike some other schools, determines and doles out their need-based aid independently of whatever merit aid you get. If you qualify for need-based aid, you'll get that on top of your merit scholarship. Whether you qualify will depends solely on your income (and, if you're under a certain age, I forget how old, the income of your parents). At least, this is how they operated a couple of years ago.

Wow! This is very useful info. I think I may call over to the financial aid office tomorrow then and see what info they may be able to provide. Thanks!!!

Return to “Financial Aid”