Full Tuition (UCLA) question

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
lazarzhr

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Full Tuition (UCLA) question

Postby lazarzhr » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:18 am

Just found out I received a full-tuition merit scholarship from UCLA. I am wondering how this might affect need-based grants for housing/living expenses? Do need-based grant awards usually come out separately (like in March, when the financial aid typically comes out), or would this mean I am ineligible for further support from the school?

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3433
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Full Tuition (UCLA) question

Postby guynourmin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:49 pm

I'm not going to say this as eloquently or thoroughly as others could, but there's not really a situation where you need that much aid. Like, its a professional school, you don't need to go to law school, average law school debt is 6-figures. You can reasonably be asked to take out loans to cover your living expenses. There isn't really a situation where you require SO much aid you can't even pay for your own food. Does that make sense? Again, I'm sure someone else can explain it better, but, basically, I don't think you're getting additional need-based aid, I do not believe you need it.

lazarzhr

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Re: Full Tuition (UCLA) question

Postby lazarzhr » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:09 pm

guybourdin wrote:I'm not going to say this as eloquently or thoroughly as others could, but there's not really a situation where you need that much aid. Like, its a professional school, you don't need to go to law school, average law school debt is 6-figures. You can reasonably be asked to take out loans to cover your living expenses. There isn't really a situation where you require SO much aid you can't even pay for your own food. Does that make sense? Again, I'm sure someone else can explain it better, but, basically, I don't think you're getting additional need-based aid, I do not believe you need it.


Totally! I wasn't sure what the $ amount threshold for need-based grants might be. Thanks for your help!

User avatar
Dreadhead168

New
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:22 am

Re: Full Tuition (UCLA) question

Postby Dreadhead168 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:30 pm

lazarzhr wrote:Just found out I received a full-tuition merit scholarship from UCLA. I am wondering how this might affect need-based grants for housing/living expenses? Do need-based grant awards usually come out separately (like in March, when the financial aid typically comes out), or would this mean I am ineligible for further support from the school?


I'm not going to be helpful in terms of answering your question, but was this a dean's merit scholarship or one of the two full-tuition scholarship programs that need a separate application filled out? Either way, congrats!

lazarzhr

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Re: Full Tuition (UCLA) question

Postby lazarzhr » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:31 pm

Dreadhead168 wrote:
lazarzhr wrote:Just found out I received a full-tuition merit scholarship from UCLA. I am wondering how this might affect need-based grants for housing/living expenses? Do need-based grant awards usually come out separately (like in March, when the financial aid typically comes out), or would this mean I am ineligible for further support from the school?


I'm not going to be helpful in terms of answering your question, but was this a dean's merit scholarship or one of the two full-tuition scholarship programs that need a separate application filled out? Either way, congrats!


This was the "Distinguished Scholars" full-tuition scholarship (the early decision one). Thanks!

Hand

Gold
Posts: 3843
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Full Tuition (UCLA) question

Postby Hand » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:04 pm

UCLA, unlike some other schools, determines and doles out their need-based aid independently of whatever merit aid you get. If you qualify for need-based aid, you'll get that on top of your merit scholarship. Whether you qualify will depends solely on your income (and, if you're under a certain age, I forget how old, the income of your parents). At least, this is how they operated a couple of years ago.

lazarzhr

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Re: Full Tuition (UCLA) question

Postby lazarzhr » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:28 pm

Hand wrote:UCLA, unlike some other schools, determines and doles out their need-based aid independently of whatever merit aid you get. If you qualify for need-based aid, you'll get that on top of your merit scholarship. Whether you qualify will depends solely on your income (and, if you're under a certain age, I forget how old, the income of your parents). At least, this is how they operated a couple of years ago.


Wow! This is very useful info. I think I may call over to the financial aid office tomorrow then and see what info they may be able to provide. Thanks!!!



Return to “Financial Aid�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests