Scholarships based on softs?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
saf18hornet
Posts: 310
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Scholarships based on softs?

Postby saf18hornet » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:48 pm

Okay so you can or through hundreds of applicants info on lawschoolnumbers.com and compare as much as you want, but every candidate has something in their application that the school will either love or not. Is their a good compilation of schools to target based on your specific softs?

What are some reasons that 5 different (non-URM) applicants get into Michigan for example with a 3.5/170, but three get offered no money, 1 gets 30k, and the last one get 100k?

I'd really like to leverage my soft factors at T14 schools who desire them. I'm 30, married with kids, and an engineer with 5+ yrs WE. You can read all over the place that schools like Harvard and NW like WE, but from what I can tell, that just means not having any WE just means you are lacking a soft factor. I know that less than 5% of admitted applicants at the T14 are over age 30, so does that actually provide a significant advantage for schools wanting to advertise "diversity". I mean, they really only care about GPA/LSAT....
Last edited by saf18hornet on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Scholarships based on softs?

Postby emkay625 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:53 pm

It might not be that the 3 got offered no money. Some folks choose not to input $ info on LSN. That's quite common.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4618
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Scholarships based on softs?

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:54 pm

With T14 scholarships, it's a combination of your numbers, your soft factors, and (depending on the school and the scholarship in question) your financial need. The higher above the medians your numbers are, the more predictable things get. Your cited example of someone with a 3.5/170 is a splitter, and splitters have tough-to-predict cycles with tougher-to-predict scholarship offers.

But being over 30 is generally not considered a diversity factor in the way that schools use that word. It's a plus, and it can definitely help on admissions and in scholarship determination. But you won't get the same boost that a URM applicant would.

saf18hornet
Posts: 310
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: Scholarships based on softs?

Postby saf18hornet » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:01 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:With T14 scholarships, it's a combination of your numbers, your soft factors, and (depending on the school and the scholarship in question) your financial need. The higher above the medians your numbers are, the more predictable things get. Your cited example of someone with a 3.5/170 is a splitter, and splitters have tough-to-predict cycles with tougher-to-predict scholarship offers.

But being over 30 is generally not considered a diversity factor in the way that schools use that word. It's a plus, and it can definitely help on admissions and in scholarship determination. But you won't get the same boost that a URM applicant would.


Yeah, i definitely understand that it's not really a diversity factor, but still find it frustrating that it shows up on the class profile page where they try to display diversity. example: http://www.law.columbia.edu/admissions/ ... ss-profile

saf18hornet
Posts: 310
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: Scholarships based on softs?

Postby saf18hornet » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:02 pm

emkay625 wrote:It might not be that the 3 got offered no money. Some folks choose not to input $ info on LSN. That's quite common.


That's a good point, but law school transparency would tend to tell the story similar to LSN....

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Scholarships based on softs?

Postby emkay625 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:20 pm

saf18hornet wrote:
emkay625 wrote:It might not be that the 3 got offered no money. Some folks choose not to input $ info on LSN. That's quite common.


That's a good point, but law school transparency would tend to tell the story similar to LSN....


I don't quite understand. Where on LST does it show you how much $ folks were offered based on LSAT/GPA? I see the data that explains what % of folks got how much money, but I can't find any data that breaks that down by LSAT/GPA. Link?




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest