Scholarship Negotiation - not wanting to be rude? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
waldorf

Gold

Scholarship Negotiation - not wanting to be rude?

Post by waldorf » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:02 am

Last edited by waldorf on Tue May 09, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Re: Scholarship Negotiation - not wanting to be rude?

Post by brinicolec » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:00 am

sjs12 wrote:I was recently awarded 115k at WUSTL, my first choice, or 38k/year. I have acceptances from peer schools (albeit not a ton of money), a full ride at Indiana, a full ride at UIUC, and perhaps Iowa as well (still waiting to hear back). I'm hoping to negotiate for even a little bit more from Wash U, but my LSAT is low (163), so should I even bother? I don't want to come off as offensive, as I'm shocked to have received the amount I did with my less than stellar LSAT score.

(Please no "retakes". I am retaking in February but I work 50 hours/week so I'm not crazy optimistic. Just want to know if it would be offensive to negotiate for more when I'm lucky to receive what I did).
I don't think the school will be offended as long as you don't come off in a bad way. I think just saying you were wondering if there's any possible way they could increase your scholly because WUSTL is your first choice but you're hoping to reduce the cost wouldn't be a big deal. The worst they can do is say no.

studentloanplanner

New

Post by studentloanplanner » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:31 pm

sjs12 wrote:I was recently awarded 115k at WUSTL, my first choice, or 38k/year. I have acceptances from peer schools (albeit not a ton of money), a full ride at Indiana, a full ride at UIUC, and perhaps Iowa as well (still waiting to hear back). I'm hoping to negotiate for even a little bit more from Wash U, but my LSAT is low (163), so should I even bother? I don't want to come off as offensive, as I'm shocked to have received the amount I did with my less than stellar LSAT score.

(Please no "retakes". I am retaking in February but I work 50 hours/week so I'm not crazy optimistic. Just want to know if it would be offensive to negotiate for more when I'm lucky to receive what I did).
Why worry about being rude? This is your future you're negotiating for. Law schools are in a horrible place right now in terms of leverage and need every student they can get. I'd be aggressive in your ask. I would just say that other schools have offered you much more attractive financial assistance, but that WUSTL is your first choice. I'd say something about the legal market being challenging and how you don't want to saddle yourself with debt. Therefore, you need to ask for $45,000 a year in scholarship money to make going to WUSTL a prudent decision, and that you would love to attend if they can help you.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:47 pm

studentloanplanner wrote:

Why worry about being rude? This is your future you're negotiating for. Law schools are in a horrible place right now in terms of leverage and need every student they can get. I'd be aggressive in your ask. I would just say that other schools have offered you much more attractive financial assistance, but that WUSTL is your first choice. I'd say something about the legal market being challenging and how you don't want to saddle yourself with debt. Therefore, you need to ask for $45,000 a year in scholarship money to make going to WUSTL a prudent decision, and that you would love to attend if they can help you.
I mean, I'd still say do worry about being rude (but asking wouldn't qualify as rude). Deans of admissions have talked about people who came into negotiations the wrong way, which turns the school off.

studentloanplanner

New

Post by studentloanplanner » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:50 am

brinicolec wrote:
studentloanplanner wrote:

I mean, I'd still say do worry about being rude (but asking wouldn't qualify as rude). Deans of admissions have talked about people who came into negotiations the wrong way, which turns the school off.
Sure I was using that for rhetorical purposes. What I mean is that you shouldn't feel guilty trying to get the best deal you can for yourself. Stay humble, lay out logical reasons why a school would offer what you're asking, and deal fairly. You'd be surprised what could happen

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”