What's considered a great scholarship at the T-14s?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
mike241

What's considered a great scholarship at the T-14s?

Postby mike241 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:52 pm

I know that this question might not have any good answer given that what is a "generous" scholarship varies depending on school rank, career interests, personal finances, etc. but I was wondering if anyone can offer some guidance as to what is considered a very generous (less than full tuition) at the T-14s that would make attending that school a good decision.

For example, 90k at Chicago, 120k at Michigan, 120k at Northwestern, 120K at Virginia, 90k at Penn, etc.?

To put it another way, what amount (less than full tuition) at another T-14 would really tempt someone away from H?

Again, I understand that this question is really broad and may be unaswerable but whatever.

Thanks!

zot1

Re: What's considered a great scholarship at the T-14s?

Postby zot1 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:57 pm

You would need to compare the scholarship versus the actual cost of attendance of the school. Once you do that, then it comes down to employment rates, preference, wanting to freeze in Chicago versus dying of too much sweating in Virginia, etc.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:28 pm

Almost all of those should attract someone away from Harvard at sticker.

But it really depends on your job goals. All T14 schools (well, maybe not GULC) give you great employment prospects, so unless you really want a unicorn job that can only be attained from HYS, you generally go to the cheapest option.

Blackfish

Postby Blackfish » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:17 pm

Last edited by Blackfish on Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:23 am

Market and ties is also a legitimate concern; if you want Chicago or LA, choosing Chicago/NU or Berk/Stanf/SMU/UCLA get a bit of extra weight. Harvard+ties is just fine, but if you want a non-NY market you don't have ties to, it makes a difference.

That said I fully agree that the hypothetical scholarships you noted are all better objectively than H at sticker in 99% of cases.

Return to “Financial Aid”