Scholarship call with the dean of admissions Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
zerato5

Bronze

Scholarship call with the dean of admissions

Post by zerato5 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:46 am

Hey all,

I have a call with the dean of admissions to talk about scholarship negotiation. Has anyone done anything like this before, and what can I expect? I get the feeling I'll have to sell myself. What qualities do the admissions staff care most about, and how do I paint myself as an asset to the law school? Obviously I plan to get good grades, and participate in the campus life aspect of law school, but other than that what are they looking for in students?

RareExports

Silver

Re: Scholarship call with the dean of admissions

Post by RareExports » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:00 am

If you've already been admitted, you don't need to sell yourself. They just want to know what other offers you have out there and what factors you're weighing in your decision. Play it cool, be polite, and don't seem desperate.

zerato5

Bronze

Post by zerato5 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:03 am

RareExports wrote:If you've already been admitted, you don't need to sell yourself. They just want to know what other offers you have out there and what factors you're weighing in your decision. Play it cool, be polite, and don't seem desperate.

I sent them the other offers via email (75% from other in state rival peer school, and some decent 80-90% offers from other in state schools). Should I tell them they're my top school, and the only factor that's preventing me from attending is money? Is it rude to ask them to match the other scholarship?

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:10 am

zerato5 wrote:
RareExports wrote:If you've already been admitted, you don't need to sell yourself. They just want to know what other offers you have out there and what factors you're weighing in your decision. Play it cool, be polite, and don't seem desperate.

I sent them the other offers via email (75% from other in state rival peer school, and some decent 80-90% offers from other in state schools). Should I tell them they're my top school, and the only factor that's preventing me from attending is money? Is it rude to ask them to match the other scholarship?
It's a fine line between coming off as too interested (i.e., easy for them to get) and not interested enough (i.e., not worth their efforts). With that said, the only reason they would increase your scholarship is if they a) thought there was some chance you would go elsewhere, and b) wanted you enough to pay an increase. So you at least need to make them think you're uncommitted.

You shouldn't ask anything of them though - let them come to you. Maybe they would have matched/exceeded the competing offer without you asking, and if you ask, best case they only match.

Be uncommitted but interested.

zerato5

Bronze

Post by zerato5 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:23 am

RareExports wrote:
zerato5 wrote:

It's a fine line between coming off as too interested (i.e., easy for them to get) and not interested enough (i.e., not worth their efforts). With that said, the only reason they would increase your scholarship is if they a) thought there was some chance you would go elsewhere, and b) wanted you enough to pay an increase. So you at least need to make them think you're uncommitted.

You shouldn't ask anything of them though - let them come to you. Maybe they would have matched/exceeded the competing offer without you asking, and if you ask, best case they only match.

Be uncommitted but interested.

Thank you!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”