Questions about Scholarship Negotiations

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Sawtooth

Questions about Scholarship Negotiations

Postby Sawtooth » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:13 pm

What is the typical timeline for scholarship negotiations? A lot of the schools that have accepted me don't seem to make scholarship awards until March, which doesn't seem to leave a lot of haggling time before the deposit deadline. Is depositing at multiple schools just part of the game?

Also, are negotiations based on a particular award's dollar amount, or what percentage of tuition the award covers? For instance, lets say I get accepted to two similarly-ranked peer schools. Sticker at School A is 15k, and School A offers me full-tuition. If sticker at Schools B is 30k, would School B consider a "matching" offer to be 45k total, or also a full-ride?

Any other insights or success stories about scholarship negotiation are appreciated.

Effingham

Re: Questions about Scholarship Negotiations

Postby Effingham » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:42 pm

I started negotiating before deposits, then deposited at three schools and negotiated between them.

To your second question, I think they will try to look at it as 45K as matching, but be creative. A scholarship is a discount, not a gift. If you reference things in terms of what you are paying and not what they are supposedly giving you, it makes your position more favorable.

Sawtooth

Re: Questions about Scholarship Negotiations

Postby Sawtooth » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:48 pm

Were you able to significantly raise you scholarships after you deposited? How long after the deposit deadline did you decide on a school?

Return to “Financial Aid”