Applying for financial aid even with scholarship?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
taxman14

Applying for financial aid even with scholarship?

Postby taxman14 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:59 am

Hey -

Just wanted to know if there's a point of applying for financial aid if I got a scholarship. I have a Dillard but would it make sense to still apply for aid if I qualify for need based aid in order to have some of the costs of living possibly offset? Or is this not possible and if someone has a full-ride is there no point whatsoever of applying for aid since they can't cover COA.

Would be really thankful for any guidance in this or if anyone has gone through this themselves, I'd love to hear from you :)

cavalier1138

Re: Applying for financial aid even with scholarship?

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:39 pm

Unless you have enough money to cover your COL all three years, you'll still apply for need-based aid, because that covers loans. And yes, that includes COL.

The plus side is that I don't believe (check with UVA about this) that you have to fill out Need Access if you're just looking for loans to cover your COL expenses. I think Need Access is only needed for scholarships. So you should just need to do FAFSA.

taxman14

Postby taxman14 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:35 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Unless you have enough money to cover your COL all three years, you'll still apply for need-based aid, because that covers loans. And yes, that includes COL.

The plus side is that I don't believe (check with UVA about this) that you have to fill out Need Access if you're just looking for loans to cover your COL expenses. I think Need Access is only needed for scholarships. So you should just need to do FAFSA.

I'm pretty sure that Need Access no longer exists as well though? This is was more in regards to the CSS because that's a giant pain to fill out.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:49 pm

taxman14 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Unless you have enough money to cover your COL all three years, you'll still apply for need-based aid, because that covers loans. And yes, that includes COL.

I'm pretty sure that Need Access no longer exists as well though? This is was more in regards to the CSS because that's a giant pain to fill out.

I haven't heard anything about Need Access going away, and I've never heard of CSS. You're applying for loans, so FAFSA is all you should need to do. The financial aid office will be in touch if they haven't already.

taxman14

Postby taxman14 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:33 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
taxman14 wrote:

I haven't heard anything about Need Access going away, and I've never heard of CSS. You're applying for loans, so FAFSA is all you should need to do. The financial aid office will be in touch if they haven't already.

Per Need Access' site "Need Access applications are no longer being accepted. Need Access will not offer a 2017-2018 academic year application. We suggest that you check your school’s website or contact the school’s financial aid office to learn whether your school will require an alternate application, and when it will be available.

The Need Access website will be unavailable after 12/31/2016. If you would like a copy of your application, please log in to your account and click the “Print Application” link. The application will be presented in PDF format, so please check to be sure that your pop-ups are allowed on your browser. After 12/31/2016, your data will be permanently and securely deleted and will not be retrievable."

And not sure but Cornell and Columbia are making me fill out the CSS. I'm sure others will too? It's on their sites.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:07 am

taxman14 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
taxman14 wrote:

Per Need Access' site "Need Access applications are no longer being accepted. Need Access will not offer a 2017-2018 academic year application. We suggest that you check your school’s website or contact the school’s financial aid office to learn whether your school will require an alternate application, and when it will be available.

The Need Access website will be unavailable after 12/31/2016. If you would like a copy of your application, please log in to your account and click the “Print Application” link. The application will be presented in PDF format, so please check to be sure that your pop-ups are allowed on your browser. After 12/31/2016, your data will be permanently and securely deleted and will not be retrievable."

And not sure but Cornell and Columbia are making me fill out the CSS. I'm sure others will too? It's on their sites.

Oh, weird. Well, good luck with that. This is entirely different from the prior system.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:01 am

Re: your original question - I think it's unlikely you're going to get need-based aid in the form of an additional scholarship/grant; that is, you're unlikely to get more free money - COL is most likely to be covered by loans. But I'd still fill out whatever's required because I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Return to “Financial Aid”