February LSAT to improve scholarships?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
User avatar
airwrecka
Posts: 1112
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

February LSAT to improve scholarships?

Postby airwrecka » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:51 pm

I know that taking the February LSAT is too late for admission to most/all law schools (specifically the T14 where I'm planning to attend), but could I use a higher score from a Feb retake to get a better scholarship?

Right now I have a 170 which I know can get me in to a lot of good schools, but maybe not give me much by way of $$$ (especially near the top end of the spectrum). It's too late for me to register for the Dec test, but it's not too late for Feb.

All my apps are already in, and I've even received a few acceptances already. Would schools be willing to give me better scholarships if I had a Feb score, even if I had already been admitted? Or would it be more beneficial to let the cycle play out, retake in June, and then reapply altogether next cycle?

I would much prefer to take the Feb test and not have to wait another year, but I don't want to rush into it if schools won't even care about the new score anyway...

User avatar
pleasesendhelp
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:28 pm

Re: February LSAT to improve scholarships?

Postby pleasesendhelp » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:37 pm

airwrecka wrote:I know that taking the February LSAT is too late for admission to most/all law schools (specifically the T14 where I'm planning to attend), but could I use a higher score from a Feb retake to get a better scholarship?

Right now I have a 170 which I know can get me in to a lot of good schools, but maybe not give me much by way of $$$ (especially near the top end of the spectrum). It's too late for me to register for the Dec test, but it's not too late for Feb.

All my apps are already in, and I've even received a few acceptances already. Would schools be willing to give me better scholarships if I had a Feb score, even if I had already been admitted? Or would it be more beneficial to let the cycle play out, retake in June, and then reapply altogether next cycle?

I would much prefer to take the Feb test and not have to wait another year, but I don't want to rush into it if schools won't even care about the new score anyway...


Did you receive any $$$ from those schools that accepted you?

User avatar
dietcoke1
Posts: 1313
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: February LSAT to improve scholarships?

Postby dietcoke1 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:52 pm

schools will care. the only thing is that by the time you get your Feb results schools may be low on funds. whether or not you decide to go this cycle or not you could still take the Feb and see if schools offer you more money, and if they don't, you can use your Feb score for the next cycle.

User avatar
airwrecka
Posts: 1112
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: February LSAT to improve scholarships?

Postby airwrecka » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:03 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:schools will care. the only thing is that by the time you get your Feb results schools may be low on funds. whether or not you decide to go this cycle or not you could still take the Feb and see if schools offer you more money, and if they don't, you can use your Feb score for the next cycle.


Yeah, I realized that after I thought about it more. But I think you're right--might as well try now, and then wait it out another year if I have to!

User avatar
airwrecka
Posts: 1112
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: February LSAT to improve scholarships?

Postby airwrecka » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:04 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
airwrecka wrote:I know that taking the February LSAT is too late for admission to most/all law schools (specifically the T14 where I'm planning to attend), but could I use a higher score from a Feb retake to get a better scholarship?

Right now I have a 170 which I know can get me in to a lot of good schools, but maybe not give me much by way of $$$ (especially near the top end of the spectrum). It's too late for me to register for the Dec test, but it's not too late for Feb.

All my apps are already in, and I've even received a few acceptances already. Would schools be willing to give me better scholarships if I had a Feb score, even if I had already been admitted? Or would it be more beneficial to let the cycle play out, retake in June, and then reapply altogether next cycle?

I would much prefer to take the Feb test and not have to wait another year, but I don't want to rush into it if schools won't even care about the new score anyway...


Did you receive any $$$ from those schools that accepted you?


Not yet but just because they haven't sent the scholarships out for anyone (the two schools I've been accepted at are GULC--financial aid comes out in Feb/Mar--and Minnesota--financial aid coming in Dec)

User avatar
pleasesendhelp
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:28 pm

Re: February LSAT to improve scholarships?

Postby pleasesendhelp » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:49 pm

airwrecka wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
airwrecka wrote:I know that taking the February LSAT is too late for admission to most/all law schools (specifically the T14 where I'm planning to attend), but could I use a higher score from a Feb retake to get a better scholarship?

Right now I have a 170 which I know can get me in to a lot of good schools, but maybe not give me much by way of $$$ (especially near the top end of the spectrum). It's too late for me to register for the Dec test, but it's not too late for Feb.

All my apps are already in, and I've even received a few acceptances already. Would schools be willing to give me better scholarships if I had a Feb score, even if I had already been admitted? Or would it be more beneficial to let the cycle play out, retake in June, and then reapply altogether next cycle?

I would much prefer to take the Feb test and not have to wait another year, but I don't want to rush into it if schools won't even care about the new score anyway...


Did you receive any $$$ from those schools that accepted you?


Not yet but just because they haven't sent the scholarships out for anyone (the two schools I've been accepted at are GULC--financial aid comes out in Feb/Mar--and Minnesota--financial aid coming in Dec)


viewtopic.php?f=43&p=9642521#p9642521

If you check out this thread, the most recent post says you can 100% use your feb and even june retake to negotiate increase in scholarship offers.

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 3461
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: February LSAT to improve scholarships?

Postby chargers21 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:58 am

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
airwrecka
Posts: 1112
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: February LSAT to improve scholarships?

Postby airwrecka » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:17 pm

reopening the discussion on this thread to say that I have officially registered for the Feb test.

I've already been accepted to about half the schools I applied to (no dings or WLs yet--just waiting to hear back), and I've received $$$ from Minnesota and UMich (+ notification that I've been nominated for a full at Cornell but it's another application process).

Should I notify all the schools that I have been accepted to and those where my application is pending that I have a new LSAT score coming? would any schools who have already accepted me wait to decide schollys until they receive my Feb score? or should I just wait until I have the score in March, and contact all the schools then?

somedeadman
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: February LSAT to improve scholarships?

Postby somedeadman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:23 pm

airwrecka wrote:reopening the discussion on this thread to say that I have officially registered for the Feb test.

I've already been accepted to about half the schools I applied to (no dings or WLs yet--just waiting to hear back), and I've received $$$ from Minnesota and UMich (+ notification that I've been nominated for a full at Cornell but it's another application process).

Should I notify all the schools that I have been accepted to and those where my application is pending that I have a new LSAT score coming? would any schools who have already accepted me wait to decide schollys until they receive my Feb score? or should I just wait until I have the score in March, and contact all the schools then?

I'm in an extremely similar situation.

I don't know about schools which have already accepted you, but I know that most schools where you application is pending will wait till you have your Feb. LSAT score to assess your application (all of them are different though, so maybe consider shooting some e-mails out).

Anon.y.mousse.
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: February LSAT to improve scholarships?

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:29 pm

somedeadman wrote:
airwrecka wrote:reopening the discussion on this thread to say that I have officially registered for the Feb test.

I've already been accepted to about half the schools I applied to (no dings or WLs yet--just waiting to hear back), and I've received $$$ from Minnesota and UMich (+ notification that I've been nominated for a full at Cornell but it's another application process).

Should I notify all the schools that I have been accepted to and those where my application is pending that I have a new LSAT score coming? would any schools who have already accepted me wait to decide schollys until they receive my Feb score? or should I just wait until I have the score in March, and contact all the schools then?

I'm in an extremely similar situation.

I don't know about schools which have already accepted you, but I know that most schools where you application is pending will wait till you have your Feb. LSAT score to assess your application (all of them are different though, so maybe consider shooting some e-mails out).


I'm going to disagree on your "most schools will wait" point. A lot of schools in the top ten don't even take the Feb LSAT for admission or you need special permission to apply with it, and (at least according to the FAQs) the others often put the burden on the applicant to email admissions and ask for their file to be held pending that score if they have a future registration. My application is complete at every school I've applied to and I don't imagine they will hold it until almost March at this point.

somedeadman
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: February LSAT to improve scholarships?

Postby somedeadman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:37 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
airwrecka wrote:reopening the discussion on this thread to say that I have officially registered for the Feb test.

I've already been accepted to about half the schools I applied to (no dings or WLs yet--just waiting to hear back), and I've received $$$ from Minnesota and UMich (+ notification that I've been nominated for a full at Cornell but it's another application process).

Should I notify all the schools that I have been accepted to and those where my application is pending that I have a new LSAT score coming? would any schools who have already accepted me wait to decide schollys until they receive my Feb score? or should I just wait until I have the score in March, and contact all the schools then?

I'm in an extremely similar situation.

I don't know about schools which have already accepted you, but I know that most schools where you application is pending will wait till you have your Feb. LSAT score to assess your application (all of them are different though, so maybe consider shooting some e-mails out).


I'm going to disagree on your "most schools will wait" point. A lot of schools in the top ten don't even take the Feb LSAT for admission or you need special permission to apply with it, and (at least according to the FAQs) the others often put the burden on the applicant to email admissions and ask for their file to be held pending that score if they have a future registration. My application is complete at every school I've applied to and I don't imagine they will hold it until almost March at this point.

That's fair. I really should not have said most schools will wait, considering I only asked 5 schools lmao.

Anon.y.mousse.
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: February LSAT to improve scholarships?

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:41 pm

Which schools did you ask?

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 3461
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: February LSAT to improve scholarships?

Postby chargers21 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:58 pm

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

somedeadman
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: February LSAT to improve scholarships?

Postby somedeadman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:10 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:Which schools did you ask?

USC, Texas, Duke, Northwestern, and UVA. Only Texas said they wouldn't pause the app.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests