Early Decision Screw Up?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
btruj777

Early Decision Screw Up?

Postby btruj777 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:18 am

Hello Everyone,

I hope this is the appropriate forum to do this in.

LSAT:
June '16: 163
Sept '16: 167

LSAC GPA: 3.95
FIU - Honors College
URM: Yes, Hispanic Male

Worked all of Undergrad in various law firms full time
President of Philosophy Honor Society @ FIU

I applied early to all of the law schools I wanted to go to - The day apps opened.

I applied ED to UChicago, because that is my dream school. However, am I losing any hope of getting merit based aid because of this?

Would it be wise to switch it to a regular application? (assuming they accept me) before they have time to accept me? I include a list of the schools I applied to below, any way to see how it looks for those schools? Thank you all for your time and help!

Chicago - ED
Harvard
Stanford
NYU
Penn
UC - Berk
Northwestern
Cornell
Duke
Notre Dame

btruj777

Re: Early Decision Screw Up?

Postby btruj777 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:10 pm

Bump...Bump... help help

grades??

Postby grades?? » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:21 pm

Well yeah it's a screw up. If they let you in ED you lose all leverage for scholarship negotiations and will likely not get a dime.

btruj777

Postby btruj777 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:25 pm

grades?? wrote:Well yeah it's a screw up. If they let you in ED you lose all leverage for scholarship negotiations and will likely not get a dime.

Thanks for the reply, I still have the option to switch to RD. My fear is this:

IN a world where I left it ED, I get accepted, even if its not big money, but if I would have switched it, I lose a shot at T6 :/

grades??

Postby grades?? » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:39 pm

btruj777 wrote:
grades?? wrote:Well yeah it's a screw up. If they let you in ED you lose all leverage for scholarship negotiations and will likely not get a dime.

Thanks for the reply, I still have the option to switch to RD. My fear is this:

IN a world where I left it ED, I get accepted, even if its not big money, but if I would have switched it, I lose a shot at T6 :/

It depends on whether or not you need scholarship money. If you do get in, are you prepared to pay 300k in loan repayments for the legitimate rest of your life, or maybe get a half tuition scholarship at Duke/UVA? The employment outcome differences between say Chicago and Duke/UVA are minimal, unless you want to practice in Chicago. Otherwise, literally almost no difference.

btruj777

Postby btruj777 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:27 pm

That is a good point thank you.

Hopefully we all use the tools we learned at a T6 to develop something that overshadows a 300k debt :D

Return to “Financial Aid”