Array of Financial Aid Questions

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
dadownclub8

Array of Financial Aid Questions

Postby dadownclub8 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:48 pm

Hi,

I have been perusing this forum and have gotten some of my questions answered (before posting this thread) but I don't think I've had them all answered. I apologize ahead of time if these are stupid questions but I rather be inclined to ask and know than to be mistaken later on.

1) When applying for financial aid in law schools, do they only require FAFSA and some other document (tax returns, etc.) or do they do the CSC Profile as well? I recall certain schools used the CSC Profile when applying to undergrad.
2) I'm planning on taking the LSAT in December and I understand that applying earlier is better than later however if I feel that I can score even a point higher in February, still worth it to take in February even though scholarship money would be harder to come by?
3) Has anybody submitted their FAFSA later than the "priority deadline"? Just curious as to the spectrum of effect.

Once again, I apologize if these are stupid questions but thought that people may be able to direct me in the right direction if possible. Any help or input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

cavalier1138

Re: Array of Financial Aid Questions

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:04 pm

1. I'm not quite sure what the CSC profile is (and I'm too lazy to Google it). Most schools ask you to fill out FAFSA and the Need Access application. No way to be 100% sure of this, but my impression was always that FAFSA was for calculating loans, and Need Access was for determining scholarships.

2. A retake is always worth if if you're unhappy with your score, but as you mentioned, a February score change can screw you over on scholarships. So it may be worth it, but it may also force you to push your apps back another year.

3. I didn't, but I wouldn't recommend it. There's no good reason your FAFSA can't be ready to go by the first week of January. Once it's set, you just add schools and send it to them.

Thelaw23

Postby Thelaw23 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:07 am

I filed my FAFSA already and I applied several weeks ago, I just added the schools I applied to on my FAFSA. You can add up to like 10 schools.

My question is about the Need Access application, do we do it only once we get admitted or should we do it before hand?

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:19 am

Thelaw23 wrote:I filed my FAFSA already and I applied several weeks ago, I just added the schools I applied to on my FAFSA. You can add up to like 10 schools.

My question is about the Need Access application, do we do it only once we get admitted or should we do it before hand?

You can fill it out in advance, but once you add schools, you'll generally need to go through and answer some specific questions that those schools add to it.

And just to clarify, you probably shouldn't add schools on Need Access or FAFSA until you're admitted. Otherwise you're just sending their financial aid office a lot of useless information.

Return to “Financial Aid”