FAFSA?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

FAFSA?

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:32 am

Hey guys, I just applied this cycle and I was wondering about FAFSA and need-based financial aid.

My family has a low income and throughout my undergraduate educationI received substantial FAFSA and TAP aid. Can I expect ANYTHING like that in law school?

What I'm saying is, other than the merit scholarships I get, is there anything else I'm going to get? In best case scenarios these T6 schools won't give me more than 90k. Even 90k, which is a stretch, when added in with the COL and tuition, still amounts to an insane amount of debt at the end of three years.

User avatar
lymenheimer
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: FAFSA?

Postby lymenheimer » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:47 am

Bummer. Unfortunately you may have to go to a lowly T14 if you want a lower cost legal education.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28105
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: FAFSA?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:23 am

Not many law schools do need-based aid. HYS (because they don't do merit-based), and I think people here have said that Georgetown will give some. But it's not very common at all.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4311
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: FAFSA?

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:06 am

Just to provide the grey-skies-are-gonna-clear-up reply here:

Most schools will not give out pure need-based aid. But a lot of T-14 schools do award aid based on need and merit, and those calculations are rarely revealed (at least in my understanding). So if you get a scholarship of $100k from [X] school, they aren't going to tell you that you got $50k for being awesome and $50k for being poor. They're just going to offer you the money.

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: FAFSA?

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:22 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Not many law schools do need-based aid. HYS (because they don't do merit-based), and I think people here have said that Georgetown will give some. But it's not very common at all.
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Not many law schools do need-based aid. HYS (because they don't do merit-based), and I think people here have said that Georgetown will give some. But it's not very common at all.



cavalier1138 wrote:Just to provide the grey-skies-are-gonna-clear-up reply here:

Most schools will not give out pure need-based aid. But a lot of T-14 schools do award aid based on need and merit, and those calculations are rarely revealed (at least in my understanding). So if you get a scholarship of $100k from [X] school, they aren't going to tell you that you got $50k for being awesome and $50k for being poor. They're just going to offer you the money.


How would they know how poor I am, though? You don't really disclose that information in your law school application the way you do with FAFSA.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4311
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: FAFSA?

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:27 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Not many law schools do need-based aid. HYS (because they don't do merit-based), and I think people here have said that Georgetown will give some. But it's not very common at all.
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Not many law schools do need-based aid. HYS (because they don't do merit-based), and I think people here have said that Georgetown will give some. But it's not very common at all.



cavalier1138 wrote:Just to provide the grey-skies-are-gonna-clear-up reply here:

Most schools will not give out pure need-based aid. But a lot of T-14 schools do award aid based on need and merit, and those calculations are rarely revealed (at least in my understanding). So if you get a scholarship of $100k from [X] school, they aren't going to tell you that you got $50k for being awesome and $50k for being poor. They're just going to offer you the money.


How would they know how poor I am, though? You don't really disclose that information in your law school application the way you do with FAFSA.


You generally don't get scholarship offers from schools until after you fill out your FAFSA and Need Access applications, establishing your financial need. If you get a scholarship offer before filling those out, it's because the school doesn't do any need-based aid.

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: FAFSA?

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:34 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Not many law schools do need-based aid. HYS (because they don't do merit-based), and I think people here have said that Georgetown will give some. But it's not very common at all.
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Not many law schools do need-based aid. HYS (because they don't do merit-based), and I think people here have said that Georgetown will give some. But it's not very common at all.



cavalier1138 wrote:Just to provide the grey-skies-are-gonna-clear-up reply here:

Most schools will not give out pure need-based aid. But a lot of T-14 schools do award aid based on need and merit, and those calculations are rarely revealed (at least in my understanding). So if you get a scholarship of $100k from [X] school, they aren't going to tell you that you got $50k for being awesome and $50k for being poor. They're just going to offer you the money.


How would they know how poor I am, though? You don't really disclose that information in your law school application the way you do with FAFSA.


You generally don't get scholarship offers from schools until after you fill out your FAFSA and Need Access applications, establishing your financial need. If you get a scholarship offer before filling those out, it's because the school doesn't do any need-based aid.



I gotcha, so basically if I am admitted to a school they will invite mt o fill out the FAFSA and Need Access application?

Sorry guys, completely in the dark as to what happens after I send out my apps.

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: FAFSA?

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:38 am

And last question - I live in south Brooklyn, about an hour and a half away from Columbia Law but if I am admitted I do plan on living on campus. Will the fact that my address is close to Columbia affect my scholarship?

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2397
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: FAFSA?

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:52 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:And last question - I live in south Brooklyn, about an hour and a half away from Columbia Law but if I am admitted I do plan on living on campus. Will the fact that my address is close to Columbia affect my scholarship?


No, or at the very least I've never heard of this happening to anyone ever.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4311
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: FAFSA?

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:14 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:I gotcha, so basically if I am admitted to a school they will invite mt o fill out the FAFSA and Need Access application?

Sorry guys, completely in the dark as to what happens after I send out my apps.


Yep.

And just in case you're more of a type-A personality (no idea why I would think that...), you can even start filling those things out in January, even if you haven't been accepted anywhere yet. Once you fill out the Need Access and FAFSA forms, you can add schools to them as needed. The only real catch is that some schools add specific questions to Need Access, so you would need to update accordingly.

But yes, schools will let you know all about that process after you're accepted.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28105
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: FAFSA?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:36 pm

I'm sure this all varies a lot by school, but you can also receive merit scholarships before you fill out anything to do with the FAFSA or need access, so while I'm sure some schools consider both need and merit, or at least do so for some candidates, it's not universal.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4311
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: FAFSA?

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:01 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I'm sure this all varies a lot by school, but you can also receive merit scholarships before you fill out anything to do with the FAFSA or need access, so while I'm sure some schools consider both need and merit, or at least do so for some candidates, it's not universal.


Yeah, I think the need/merit process is almost exclusively a T-14 thing (although I remember Vanderbilt did it, too). But schools that just do merit aid will throw you an offer whenever.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests