Deadline to accept scholarship increase Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
batman88

New

Deadline to accept scholarship increase

Post by batman88 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:06 pm

Have a dilemma I could use some advice on. I am pretty much equally interested in School A and School B (top schools in my area). School A is ranked higher than School B and would be considered by most to be academically superior. I also liked A's campus better. However, School B has a great alumni network and I really enjoyed all of the admitted students events. Recently, School B gave me a full tuition scholarship, which I then took to A (who had offered me a scholarship that would require me to pay 35k in tuition total over 3 years). Yesterday School A said they would give me 10k more provided I commit by 5pm today, give my seat deposit and withdraw from all other schools. How can I politely decline and still leave it open to get more money later (once they know how much $$ they have to offer after seat deposits next week)?

Holodigm

New

Re: Deadline to accept scholarship increase

Post by Holodigm » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:14 am

batman88 wrote:Have a dilemma I could use some advice on. I am pretty much equally interested in School A and School B (top schools in my area). School A is ranked higher than School B and would be considered by most to be academically superior. I also liked A's campus better. However, School B has a great alumni network and I really enjoyed all of the admitted students events. Recently, School B gave me a full tuition scholarship, which I then took to A (who had offered me a scholarship that would require me to pay 35k in tuition total over 3 years). Yesterday School A said they would give me 10k more provided I commit by 5pm today, give my seat deposit and withdraw from all other schools. How can I politely decline and still leave it open to get more money later (once they know how much $$ they have to offer after seat deposits next week)?
Well it's too late by this point, but I would have said something along the lines of "unfortunately at this time I'm not able to accept your offer. A decision as important as this one cannot be made without significantly considering all factors" or something like that.

Also, is this UCLA and USC? Because it sounds an awful lot like UCLA and USC.

shakha

New

Re: Deadline to accept scholarship increase

Post by shakha » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:29 am

^ also have a feeling that it's UCLA + USC because they did the exact same thing to me last week

Return to “Financial Aid”