commute or live near campus? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
pdevastey

New

commute or live near campus?

Post by pdevastey » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:09 pm

I have been accepted to top 10 school. My mom lives almost two hours away by public transportation(train, bus, walk). my debt load after graduation will 130k if i commute. if i live near campus I will graduate with 170k.
generally I am trying to get a feel of work load, networking events and other things around your typical law school that would suffer if i made that commute. Would i be spending an extra 40k on convience or actually help my grades and professional development? I commuted my whole undergrad and missed alot of events and pulled all nighters because of the commute which was about as bad as it is now.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Re: commute or live near campus?

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:09 pm

Is that two hours one way?

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:16 pm

I commuted all through law school, with a max one-way trip of an hour. If you can at all avoid it, do, even if you have to take on a little extra in loans. My grades and connections with my classmates suffered, I couldn't be as involved in activities, and the commute added a lot of extra stress, especially if I was late or if there was bad weather.

The only positives were I felt like the drive home gave me a little mental separation from school and I saved some money. But if I were to do it over again I would definitely live close to campus.

FrancisScottKey

New

Post by FrancisScottKey » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:29 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by FrancisScottKey on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdevastey

New

Post by pdevastey » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:31 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:Is that two hours one way?
generally in the morning it would be 1 hour because of i can get a ride n the train comes every 5 mins. if i leave campus after 8pm it would take me about 2 hours

pdevastey

New

Post by pdevastey » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:33 pm

thanks for your experiences. I was planning on at least one year for stress and networking. if they offer me more money soon i would rather all three years but the debt load is scary

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”