Advice for asking more in second round of negotiation? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
miku015

New

Advice for asking more in second round of negotiation?

Post by miku015 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:06 pm

So I was initially awarded zero merit from UCLA and asked for more based on a 30k/yr scholarship from a T14. I asked for a full scholarship, but they only matched the T14 offer, which is still too high for me to attend. Anyone have any thoughts about how to really push for the full ride?

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Advice for asking more in second round of negotiation?

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:07 pm

miku015 wrote:So I was initially awarded zero merit from UCLA and asked for more based on a 30k/yr scholarship from a T14. I asked for a full scholarship, but they only matched the T14 offer, which is still too high for me to attend. Anyone have any thoughts about how to really push for the full ride?
Retake

miku015

New

Post by miku015 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:09 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
miku015 wrote:So I was initially awarded zero merit from UCLA and asked for more based on a 30k/yr scholarship from a T14. I asked for a full scholarship, but they only matched the T14 offer, which is still too high for me to attend. Anyone have any thoughts about how to really push for the full ride?
Retake
Maxed out on retakes until 2018, I'm already above both medians for UCLA.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:14 pm

miku015 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
Retake
So you've taken 3 LSATs this year alone? Either way, a 90k scholly from T14 isn't as much leverage as you may be thinking it is. Or you may not actually deserve the full that you think you do. Dunno how you'd get more money without any other leverage.

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:48 pm

miku015 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
Retake

I'm surprised you didnt get more from UCLA. I ended up with a little less, but I was below median GPA and above median LSAT. Were you K-JD? I was non traditional.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Holodigm

New

Post by Holodigm » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Are you a CA resident? Either way, I'm not really sure how 100k or less debt from a T20 school is "too high to attend."

somethingElse

Gold

Post by somethingElse » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:02 pm

You could take the UCLA offer back to the T14. If you're a CA resident, that plus their tuition guarantee probably makes UCLA cheaper by a significant amount, regardless of the T14. But obviously if the T14 is a private school you have much more leverage than if its a public. Worth a shot at least, IMO.

You could also reply to UCLA and say something to the effect of, "I'll commit right now and withdraw from all other schools if you give me X." Would like to hear others' thoughts on that strategy though, as I'm not sure how well it works (I'm also a 0L). But I figure that's also worth a shot, and of course you have to actually mean what you say if you do that.

miku015

New

Post by miku015 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:12 pm

87mm wrote:
miku015 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
Retake

I'm surprised you didnt get more from UCLA. I ended up with a little less, but I was below median GPA and above median LSAT. Were you K-JD? I was non traditional.
I'm also non-traditional, been out of school for a while with work experience and an additional degree. I know it's definitely possible since I've seen others with similar stats in recent years that have gotten full rides (my friend got a full ride with lower stats just leveraging an acceptance at Berkeley), just not sure if it's because I don't have leverage from Cali schools.

My goal is public interest, and as an older student, 100k debt from a non T-14 schools seem a bit too high to me...especially considering UCLA's #s haven't been the greatest recently.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:32 pm

miku015 wrote:
87mm wrote:
miku015 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
Retake

I'm also non-traditional, been out of school for a while with work experience and an additional degree. I know it's definitely possible since I've seen others with similar stats in recent years that have gotten full rides (my friend got a full ride with lower stats just leveraging an acceptance at Berkeley), just not sure if it's because I don't have leverage from Cali schools.

My goal is public interest, and as an older student, 100k debt from a non T-14 schools seem a bit too high to me...especially considering UCLA's #s haven't been the greatest recently.
I think it's always best to ask (politely) for what you need. Explain your financial circumstances, emphasize how committed you are to UCLA if you could only make it work financially, your commitment to PI, what you bring to the table, etc, etc. Worst case scenario, they turn you down and you are back where you started.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”