FAFSA Parental Information for Law Students Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
CJRpnw

Bronze

FAFSA Parental Information for Law Students

Post by CJRpnw » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:25 am

Post deleted.
Last edited by CJRpnw on Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: FAFSA Parental Information for Law Students

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:51 am

CJRpnw wrote:I'm trying to work through this FAFSA business, and as a 29-year-old incoming 1L, I'm a bit stuck on one part: the parental information. By all standards, I qualify as an independent student, but there seems to be some fuzzy new language that law school students "may" need provide information about their parents' income.

Here's a quote buried in the Dependency page: "Health profession students and law school students may be required to provide parent information regardless of their dependency status." (Source: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/fill ... dependency )

What do you think?
So you're a 0L. Got it. The language says "may" which means it is a possibility you will be required to provide it. Have you done any looking on the websites of the schools to which you have been accepted or have applied and would like to attend? I'd bet you could find the information there. Try a Google search of "[law school name] fafsa". (Where it says "[law school name]", you enter the name of the law school)

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:59 am

It varies by school whether you need to provide this information. Individual school websites will make this perfectly clear. Yes, it is ridiculous that they ask, but there's no way around it, unless you haven't spoken to your parents in a decade or some such thing.

CJRpnw

Bronze

Post by CJRpnw » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:40 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by CJRpnw on Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJRpnw

Bronze

Post by CJRpnw » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:44 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by CJRpnw on Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:50 pm

CJRpnw wrote:
Congratulations, you are fantastically smug.
Thank you! There's a club of lymen-haters that you can join if you really wanna. Also, an incoming 1L is a 0L, right? Like you don't get bonus points because you change your title, and it's not even relevant to the question other than confirming your uncertainty in this situation. Also, that language isn't very fuzzy at all. Maybe that's because I looked at the information on my schools before even applying, or at least after being accepted (to some of them) so I guess I will apologize for the attitude that arose from being more informed than you but with the same available resources.

joeycxxxx09

Bronze

Post by joeycxxxx09 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:04 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
CJRpnw wrote:
Congratulations, you are fantastically smug.
Thank you! There's a club of lymen-haters that you can join if you really wanna. Also, an incoming 1L is a 0L, right? Like you don't get bonus points because you change your title, and it's not even relevant to the question other than confirming your uncertainty in this situation. Also, that language isn't very fuzzy at all. Maybe that's because I looked at the information on my schools before even applying, or at least after being accepted (to some of them) so I guess I will apologize for the attitude that arose from being more informed than you but with the same available resources.
HARDOOOOOO

CJRpnw

Bronze

Post by CJRpnw » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:53 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by CJRpnw on Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:00 pm

CJRpnw wrote:
Okay, dear. If you'd actually read the link or done any googling yourself, you'd see that FAFSA uses "may" and "must" interchangeably throughout the website. Since I assume you're well-acquainted with close reading at this point in your law/pre-law career, you probably understand that these words have very different meanings. Thus, confusion.

Listen. I know that it must be very special for you to have a corner of the Internet where you can treat people like you wish you could treat them in real life, and I couldn't for sure say what happened to you in your life to bring you to a place that you'd lurk on a help forum just to be a tool. But I'm sorry, and I hope you find your peace.
Please advise on the first bolded. Couldn't find any interchangeable usage, specifically on the page you linked.

Lol at your evaluation in the second paragraph.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

seashell.economy

Bronze

Post by seashell.economy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:45 am

lymenheimer wrote:Thank you! There's a club of lymen-haters that you can join if you really wanna.
Pls send me email and membership info for this club, thank you.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:14 am

seashell.economy wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:Thank you! There's a club of lymen-haters that you can join if you really wanna.
Pls send me email and membership info for this club, thank you.
:lol: you're cute

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”