Scholarships After 1L Year? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Jak

New

Scholarships After 1L Year?

Post by Jak » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:57 pm

Is it common for schools to offer merit-based scholarships for people in the top 5% of class?

I have heard of people applying to other schools for transfer their second year, and then negotiating a scholarship at their original school, but I'm just wondering how common this scenario is -- or whether some schools offer financial incentives to their best students.

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Scholarships After 1L Year?

Post by BigZuck » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:58 pm

Not very common

Just like the possibility of transferring, this isn't something worth thinking about or factoring into your decision as to whether to attend a school or not.

100% irrelevant when it comes to choosing a law school.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:32 pm

It appears that it is far more common for scholarships to be reduced/rescinded after the first year than it is for scholarships to be granted.

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:55 pm

haus wrote:It appears that it is far more common for scholarships to be reduced/rescinded after the first year than it is for scholarships to be granted.
I'm pretty sure that the only schools that take away scholarships from students who do badly are TTT's that section-stack to make sure they get money back.

(Could be wrong though.)

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:21 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:
haus wrote:It appears that it is far more common for scholarships to be reduced/rescinded after the first year than it is for scholarships to be granted.
I'm pretty sure that the only schools that take away scholarships from students who do badly are TTT's that section-stack to make sure they get money back.

(Could be wrong though.)
I suspect that this practice is becoming less common as information about reduced scholarships after 1L is now part of the 509 form, but a few years back Mason was hitting this pretty hard.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”