Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
texasellewoods

Postby texasellewoods » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:22 am

Last edited by texasellewoods on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fiero85

Re: What are the top schools that offer lots of merit money?

Postby Fiero85 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:06 pm

Other than the very very top (HYS), need based aid is almost non-existent. So when you’re browsing mylsn and lawschoolnumbers, as you should, the $$$ data points are pretty much all merit. URM boost exists but that’s more for acceptance than a boost for more scholly $ at most schools (I think, I’m not especially well versed on URM applications).

In short, everyone other than HYS gives full rides to people every year. Pretty easy to get one outside of the top 30ish schools, then there are some known money throwers like WUSTL (as you mentioned) in the top 20. But check the sample data, because even Columbia and UChi give money out every year. You just gotta be excellent in one or more ways to get it.

Try to get your GPA and LSAT up as much as possible because that is what the scholly game is all about. Softs don’t matter much for $ purposes. Good stats and negotiation are king.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:28 pm

Merit money is almost entirely determined by LSAT/GPA. If you're a URM that will factor in as well.

WUSTL/Emory are both generous and will more or less give the same money to the same people. Cornell also doled out of a lot of big scholarships this year. If you're wanting the most accurate and thorough info, I would just sort by scholarship amount on lawschoolnumbers.com and see what LSAT/GPA is needed at certain schools to get a certain scholarship amount.

Hope this helps!

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:37 pm

Duke, cornell, uva, and michigan all seem to give out a healthy amount of money. Not a ton of full rides, but getting 75k+ can easily happen for people above one median, and 120k+ happens regularly for people at/above both medians. At least thats what I've seen. Scholarships are hard to predict with any real accuracy though, naturally.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:41 pm

Georgetown maxes out at 120k in merit aid - and is notoriously a low-baller - which is a joke. Northwestern is notoriously generous. YMMV with others. I found I got more money than deserved from Chicago, and maybe Penn. Northwestern, Mich, UVA each basically gave me an expense account, surprising given my low numbers. I felt I was low-balled by NYU. It's mostly going to come down to your LSAT/GPA. I probably would have received more money from NYU if my resume matched the scholars they are looking for. And I was given a lot of money from other schools because they liked what they saw outside of my numbers.

texasellewoods

Postby texasellewoods » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:09 pm

thanks yall!! This is very helpful :lol:

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:16 pm

Chicago has several very generous scholarships (Rubenstein scholars) each year. Most law schools offer substantial scholarships to those applicants whose LSAT score & GPA are above that particular school's median for most recently accepted students.

grutterv

Postby grutterv » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:29 pm

I was really impressed with Penn's financial aid package this year. They are the only school that offered me a financial aid package (and it was generous). Also, Indiana University - Bloomington is generous with full rides.

Poldy

Postby Poldy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:59 pm

RareExports wrote:Merit money is almost entirely determined by LSAT/GPA. If you're a URM that will factor in as well.

WUSTL/Emory are both generous and will more or less give the same money to the same people. Cornell also doled out of a lot of big scholarships this year. If you're wanting the most accurate and thorough info, I would just sort by scholarship amount on lawschoolnumbers.com and see what LSAT/GPA is needed at certain schools to get a certain scholarship amount.

Hope this helps!

This wasn't my experience. WUSTL offered me $120k and Emory put me on the WL.

futago

Postby futago » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:59 am

RancidSumo wrote:
RareExports wrote:Merit money is almost entirely determined by LSAT/GPA. If you're a URM that will factor in as well.

Hope this helps!

This wasn't my experience. WUSTL offered me $120k and Emory put me on the WL.

Same here. Emory may have changed its merit money, but when I applied Emory offered me less than almost any other school I applied to and every school ranked higher than Emory offered me more than Emory fwiw. Also Emory refused to negotiate at all.

still

Postby still » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:18 am

wustl is extremely generous to splitters. like full ride generous. even with gpa <3.0
GW is the direct opposite

Scalvert

Postby Scalvert » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:24 pm

I have what is probably a really stupid question, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. When you're looking at the charts that show the average merit scholarship amounts for people who were admitted to a particular school with a certain Gpa/LSAT, for example , "60% with 3.85/168 receive $75,000"....does that amount mean the applicant was offered $75,000/year or is that a total amount for 3 years? I'm hoping it means yearly, because that amount would cover tuition, books and make a huge dent in other expenses. I'm afraid that's probably not what it means though :| .

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:41 pm

Scalvert wrote:I have what is probably a really stupid question, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. When you're looking at the charts that show the average merit scholarship amounts for people who were admitted to a particular school with a certain Gpa/LSAT, for example , "60% with 3.85/168 receive $75,000"....does that amount mean the applicant was offered $75,000/year or is that a total amount for 3 years? I'm hoping it means yearly, because that amount would cover tuition, books and make a huge dent in other expenses. I'm afraid that's probably not what it means though :| .

You think 3.85/168s are getting $225k scholarships?

Scalvert

Postby Scalvert » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:30 pm

Hell, idk how badly WUSTL wants to supplant Vandy.

So.... total then. :mrgreen:

BizBro

Postby BizBro » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:17 am

If you have a good gpa, don't go to law school until you get 170+.

texasellewoods

Postby texasellewoods » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:43 pm

Return to “Financial Aid”