Are law school scholarships only offered to accepted applicants or can you be eligible after your first year?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Chowfun

Are law school scholarships only offered to accepted applicants or can you be eligible after your first year?

Postby Chowfun » Wed May 13, 2015 10:48 am

For instance, if I can't negotiate my scholarship further and I have to accept what is given. I do really well, am I eligible for a larger scholarship the following year?

jphiggo

Re: Are law school scholarships only offered to accepted applicants or can you be eligible after your first year?

Postby jphiggo » Wed May 13, 2015 10:52 am

Chowfun wrote:For instance, if I can't negotiate my scholarship further and I have to accept what is given. I do really well, am I eligible for a larger scholarship the following year?

My school provides additional merit scholarships in subsequent years based off of law school performance. Not a lot of scholarships though, only for a handful at the top each year. This is just something you'd need to look into concerning a specific school that you are interested in. It should also not be a factor in your considerations. You should not bank on doing well enough to earn one of these scholarships.
Last edited by jphiggo on Wed May 13, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

rwhyAn

Re: Are law school scholarships only offered to accepted applicants or can you be eligible after your first year?

Postby rwhyAn » Wed May 13, 2015 10:53 am

I think some schools may offer scholarships after the first year, but they are the exception. Once they no longer need your GPA or LSAT to look good for the rankings, they really don't have an incentive to give you any extra money. You could always threaten them by pulling the transfer card and see if they'll bite.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 13, 2015 11:02 am

Sometimes a top performing first year (rising 2L) law student will be offered scholarship money to deter that student from transferring to a higher ranked law school.

PinkRevolver

Postby PinkRevolver » Wed May 13, 2015 11:20 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Sometimes a top performing first year (rising 2L) law student will be offered scholarship money to deter that student from transferring to a higher ranked law school.

+1, or you can apply to transfer and when you get in show them your offers and initiate the negotiations, not sure ho much rank matters in this scenario.

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Wed May 13, 2015 11:44 am

Thanks you guys!!

Return to “Financial Aid”