How to Negotiate if Top Choice is Most Generous?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Aifamume

How to Negotiate if Top Choice is Most Generous?

Postby Aifamume » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:13 pm

I'm currently choosing between CLS and NYU.

CLS, my top choice, had offered me ~25k more than NYU.

Is it possible to negotiate with CLS even though it has offered me more than its peer school? I've already negotiated with NYU, and they're sticking firm to their offer.

I don't even know how to go about drafting a letter requesting more money.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bretby

Re: How to Negotiate if Top Choice is Most Generous?

Postby bretby » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:23 pm

Aifamume wrote:I'm currently choosing between CLS and NYU.

CLS, my top choice, had offered me ~25k more than NYU.

Is it possible to negotiate with CLS even though it has offered me more than its peer school? I've already negotiated with NYU, and they're sticking firm to their offer.

I don't even know how to go about drafting a letter requesting more money.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I mean, you could just say that at that price CLS is not an option for you and see what they say. Are there any unique circumstances making your need for more $$ more urgent? I'm thinking, being a parent/caring for a family member, being an older student, having a demonstrated commitment to PI? If you were really ballsy you could try withdrawing and seeing if they come back to you with an offer - how badly do you think they want you?

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:25 pm

Seriously, with this? Actually honest to god seriously?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=246911

Aifamume

Postby Aifamume » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:30 pm

bretby wrote:I mean, you could just say that at that price CLS is not an option for you and see what they say. Are there any unique circumstances making your need for more $$ more urgent? I'm thinking, being a parent/caring for a family member, being an older student, having a demonstrated commitment to PI? If you were really ballsy you could try withdrawing and seeing if they come back to you with an offer - how badly do you think they want you?

Definitely not that ballsy. I'm a single white male, two years out of undergrad, making a median income. I'm about as stereotypical as it gets when it comes to law school demographics. I'm also a splitter, with a high LSAT and low GPA. No real commitment to PI outside of basic volunteering.

I'm planning on asking, just because it can't hurt, but I don't even know how to word it other than, "Hi! I'd like more money please." It seems I have little to no leverage.

Aifamume

Postby Aifamume » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:34 pm

zacharus85 wrote:Seriously, with this? Actually honest to god seriously?

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=246911

I'm not understanding. Is it against the rules to ask for help on how to negotiate financial aid? I've searched, but this seems to be a fairly unique situation I've found myself in. Has this already been covered somewhere else?

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:51 pm

zacharus85 wrote:Seriously, with this? Actually honest to god seriously?

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=246911

I agree with the thread you started, but do not see how it applies to this. He is asking how to negotiate not which to choose.

GameOfLoans

Postby GameOfLoans » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:05 pm

I would let the Choice B know that you are receiving money from Choice A, but because of financial reasons are "still open" to a stronger incentive. Phrase it better and you can get school B to offer more than A, which in turn can be used to leverage school A.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:23 pm

Why don't you get more money from NYU and then play that off CLS?

qwertyTLS

Postby qwertyTLS » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:32 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Why don't you get more money from NYU and then play that off CLS?

seems like OP tried and was denied

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:01 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Mon May 11, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jchance

Postby Jchance » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:06 pm

I dont know if this would work, but have you tried the "I might have to defer law school for another year to make more money to afford Columbia + NY... Could you please give me more money?" :D

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:18 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Mon May 11, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bretby

Postby bretby » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:24 pm

NoBladesNoBows wrote:I think that you really only have one option, which is to just ask for more. Trying to negotiate with a lower offer from a peer (but slightly lower ranked) school would border on offensive in my mind, and at best would have an equal chance of getting you more money as just asking. You don't have a very good chance, but there's nothing to lose by just saying "Hey, I'm super excited to get in, love Columbia it's a top choice, blah blah blah. But Columbia + New York is so expensive that it's gonna kill me, can I have some more money plz??? :) :) :)".

Again, your chances are very low, but I think that it's all that you can really do. Good luck.

I think this is also a worthwhile strategy. Just be upfront: probably won't get you much, but hey, it might!

ETA: You can always ask for extensions, remember that.

Return to “Financial Aid”